Oil change without drain hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil change without drain hose

So, I'm ready for the oil change on this rebuilt motor, and I'm an idiot (new to inboards) and didn't have a drain hose on the drain line for the oil. I can't come up with a way to drain the oil without making a massive mess of the bilge.
    Any ideas?

Vacuum out the dipstick won't work either it's got a slight kink in it and I don't see the hose going through it.

Pull the engine, install a drain line on the bottom of the sump. No biggie.
    That sucks man, there’s got to be a way of getting a hose down the dip stick tube. May have to opt for small hose and a long, painful pump process to get it out.

Comment

Vacuum pump and the narrow hose, straight down the dipstick tube. You should be using a vacuum pump anyway, and once you draw the vacuum you can let it run while you do other things. Might give it an extra pump once in a while to keep the suction strong, otherwise it's a set-and-forget thing that will run until there's nothing but air.

Search on "Mityvac extractor". I have the manual version and see no reason for the shop-air nor electrical versions. A few pumps and away it goes!

EDIT: Here, I did it for you: https://www.tooldiscounter.com/produ...CABEgJRSvD_BwE
      Last edited by IDBoating; 09-04-2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Word of caution about the hose going down the dipstick:

Choose a pump that the hard more PVC rigid hose and DO NOT use those with a softer nylon like hose. These get soft in the hot oil, get a slight nick and get hung on the dipstick tube or roll up in the pan if you insert too far. ALL if which lead to a stuck hose, resulting in dropping the oil pan to retrieve.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I don’t know which motor you have, but does it have a threaded dipstick tube that you could attach an oil drain pump to and extract? Something like this - I had to use this on a previous boat...

Mercury Precision Crankcase Oil Pump 802889A 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QFEVNA..._gDjCDbG3DNFEZ

Comment

Originally posted by Powday View Post
            I don’t know which motor you have, but does it have a threaded dipstick tube that you could attach an oil drain pump to and extract? Something like this - I had to use this on a previous boat...

Mercury Precision Crankcase Oil Pump 802889A 1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QFEVNA..._gDjCDbG3DNFEZ
            Thanks Guys,
            As mentioned earlier there's a kink in the dipstick tube that prevents a tube going down it. The dipstick itself has to be finagled in there I don't see a tube going in, regardless of size or rigidity.
            I guess i can just replace the dipstick tube, just don't know if I can do that without pulling the exhaust manifold to get the new one in.
            Not threaded so no go there.

I think for this one I'm going to have to just rig up some sort of catch can with a drain hose that I can slip under the engine. Then I can measure the drain plug and order drain hose.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              Choose a pump that the hard more PVC rigid hose and DO NOT use those with a softer nylon like hose. These get soft in the hot oil, get a slight nick and get hung on the dipstick tube or roll up in the pan if you insert too far. ALL if which lead to a stuck hose, resulting in dropping the oil pan to retrieve.
              Good point. I'm happy to report that the Mityvac I have comes with exactly the sort of stiffer PVC tubing that you recommend. Doesn't sound like that's going to help this specific individual due to his dipstick style, but I wanted to mention it in this thread for the benefit of anyone else who reads this in the future.

Comment

The dip stick tube is usually pretty long and likely goes into the oil pool in the pan. Maybe try putting your pump hose right on the tube and seeing how much oil you can pump out that way. Any amount will make the job easier.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                  The dip stick tube is usually pretty long and likely goes into the oil pool in the pan. Maybe try putting your pump hose right on the tube and seeing how much oil you can pump out that way. Any amount will make the job easier.
                  That's not a bad idea, It can't hurt! May save some of the mess at least.

Comment

Originally posted by SONIC View Post
                    That's not a bad idea, It can't hurt! May save some of the mess at least.

Theres a handful of Merc and Volvo I/Os where yoyu have to take it out the dipstick. Instead of snaking a line down I always just use a spark plug boot and the Vacuum hose and you can just slide it over and suck it all out right thru the dipstick.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                      I always just use a spark plug boot and the Vacuum hose and you can just slide it over and suck it all out right thru the dipstick.
                      I love that idea, but wonder: How far down into the pan does the dipstick tube extend? Couldn't this technique end up leaving a bunch of oil behind?

Comment

Working...
                      X