Winterizing 2017 R23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing 2017 R23

There are 5 blue plugs to pull i believe?Then where and how do I push antifreeze through? Other than what the manual says, you folks do anything else? Boat stays in a heated hanger all winter. So the antifreeze is just to prevent rusting. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always been told to fully winterize even in heated storage, you never know power may be lost. Don’t forget the ballast system.

Comment

Stabilize the fuel and fog the cylinders.

Comment

My engine is PCM so may be different amount of plugs but I have 7. 1 is below the v-drive and is hard to see unless you know its there. Your manual should tell you how many plugs and where they are located. I also use a shop vac against each drain not only to get as much water out as possible but to also be sure there is no debris clogging the drain hole since people have cracked their blocks in past due to debris that prevented the water to fully drain.

You put the RV anti-freeze (pink color) in using the perko (hose) attachment. You can either rig up a 5gal bucket with hose to feed the antifreeze to that attachment and when you start the engine, impeller sucks it thru system.... or use a small pump. Personally I use a small pump (sucks from my full 5gal bucket of AF and then into the perko valve) since sometimes once you drain all the water, the system sucks air when you start engine and does not want to re-prime immediately.

On the newer engines, you do not fog the cylinders.

Also good to change engine oil/filter so layup has fresh oil (used oil can get acidic)...and as stated make sure you drain/winterize ballast pumps (I remove all bags) and treat your fuel. I also spray down the engine with anti-corrosive spray (like fluid film). Personally I replace the engine impeller and the fuel filters in the Spring so they don't sit in there all winter. I also remove my ballast impellers so they don't take a "set" and wear out sooner than they should.

Comment

Working...
        X