Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voltage high DTC

20190818_142704.jpg

I've been getting this DTC frequently - 707 3 Voltage high. 16 Z1 6.2 Raptor 400 / I've noticed that it happens when there is a lot of water activity wet jackets, wakeboards, esp my Golden getting in and out of the boat. Water flowing around the rear locker cushions and getting on engine components. When this happens the belt is getting wet as it will squeal on engine start up. I'm figuring that the water is most likely getting onto the alternator in some way. If there is no swimming going on and no water getting in the boat it usually never happens. Anyone else seen this? I'm wondering if I need to fabricate some type of shield to divert water from getting on the alternator.

Thanks for any input
    I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

It's a fairly good chance your voltage regulator is on it's way out. The engine cover should be shielding the alternator from water above. I'm wondering if the water is finding it's way to your bilge and getting on the belt when the bow is high. Auto float fuse needs to be checked. Try manually running the bilge when the squeal shows up and see if water is coming out at stbd rear corner.

Comment

My belt squeals on startup sometimes too. My auto bilge works and I can’t image the water gets high enough to get the belt wet. It looks like the lowest point on the belt is a good 6-8inches about the bilge pump. I was assuming the water came from the top and dripping on the belt.

If the water in the bilge was splashing up in the belt, wouldn’t that happen when your driving around, especially when the bow is high? My belt never squeals while underway, only on startup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
        It's a fairly good chance your voltage regulator is on it's way out. The engine cover should be shielding the alternator from water above. I'm wondering if the water is finding it's way to your bilge and getting on the belt when the bow is high. Auto float fuse needs to be checked. Try manually running the bilge when the squeal shows up and see if water is coming out at stbd rear corner.
        No certainly not any of that. Water in bilge never gets that high. It definitely is water passing around the locker covers and falling into the engine bay. Happens when we are floating and swimming. If none of that activity is going on and no water is getting in the boat the belt squeal never happens, and the chk engine light issue doesn't happen. Bilge pump is fine, float is good and fuse has been upgraded to a circuit breaker.
        I don't want to go to work, take me wake surfing instead!

Comment

@freeheel, Is the voltage regulator all one unit with the alternator on his boat? I thought that most were that way. Would it be reasonable to think that the alternator is gettting stiff so his belt is squealing?

I don't know how to reconcile that with it seeming to be more frequent when more water is tracked into the boat. Maybe when the engine compartment is hotter, the alternator heats up because it is on its way out? Frequent starting and stopping gets more heat in the engine compartment than just cruising when there is some steady air flow.
          Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Working...
          X