Texas New Boating Law - Kill Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know most of you in Texas probably already have heard, but just in case the new Kill Switch Law goes in effect September 1, 2019. Just a heads up.

https://www.thecampfirecollective.co...ch-law-passed/

Sorry I posted in wrong section on first post...

I can’t get that link to work. Not sure if it’s me, or the link. Assuming from the heading, drivers have to be attached to a kill switch?? Usually Texas is down the list of states that require sissy stuff like that, so hopefully I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zackdogg; 08-28-2019, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Nope your not wrong, its a fact.

https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/boati...ill-switch-law

Comment

Indeed, Texas Parks and Wildlife have been more active on our lake informing boaters about this new law. Seems like I hear one a year about a fishing boat found driving around the lake without a driver and first responders always find that the kill lanyard is still on the boat.

Luckily or not depending on how you look at it mine does not have the kill switch. Looking forward to having many conversations with Texas P&W

Comment

Yeah mine does not have one, curious what they would say to that?

Comment

The law is only enforceable on boats with a kill switch from the factory. My 2000 21V is not required to have one. My bass boat on the other hand, has one from the factory and as such I will be required to use it (which I do any way).

Comment

Thanks for posting, who knows when I would have seen this. I'm curious as to how they'll enforce -- on mine, the kill switch is down by the throttle, so if I clipped it to my right side somewhere, they wouldn't be able to see from any distance that I do or don't have it on?

Comment

Originally posted by hcooperrn View Post
                Thanks for posting, who knows when I would have seen this. I'm curious as to how they'll enforce -- on mine, the kill switch is down by the throttle, so if I clipped it to my right side somewhere, they wouldn't be able to see from any distance that I do or don't have it on?
                Probably not, but they keep a close eye on you as soon as they start to pull you so they would likely see you reach down and try to clip it real quick before they notice.

Comment

"I swear officer, I had it on all the time..."

I'll behave and start wearing it, I get the purpose I guess. I tend to stand up a lot, stand into the center, etc, so just some habit changes.

What's odd is that we don't need a spotter if we have a mirror, and the orange flag isn't required. I still do both, even if I'm the only flag on the water.

Texas is surprising with some of the regulations -- when I moved here a year ago, I expected much more of a free-for-all. I never thought I would have to weigh my empty boat trailer just to get it registered, plus have it inspected every year.

Comment

I tend to stand up a lot, stand into the center, etc, so just some habit changes.
                    Me too. How else do you dry your shorts off on the way back to the marina to get the truck? Get a longer lanyard.

Comment

US:
                      -Must have a flag for downed rider
                      -Must be in the boat when under way (not on back pad or platform)
                      -No LED's that are red or blue
                      -Game wardens or sheriffs patrolling 24/7
                      -Must wear kill switch tether
                      -Zebra Mussel wash down stations and inspections
                      -Permits to be on the water

Canada:
                      Rarely ever see the cops on the water and as long as you don't ever stop moving they won't come up to you.lol. Only the hottest days of the year or busy holiday weekends do you see them....maybe.

Comment

New boating laws start September 1st
                        Texas boat operators will be required to wear an engine cutoff switch when operating a boat equipped with the switch that's under 26 ft in length

Comment

Texas is surprising with some of the regulations -- when I moved here a year ago, I expected much more of a free-for-all. I never thought I would have to weigh my empty boat trailer just to get it registered, plus have it inspected every year.
                          Only if your boat weighs more than 7500# as of 2019. So if your boat weights 7499 you don't have to have an DOT inspection.

https://txdmv.blogs.govdelivery.com/...tain-trailers/

Comment

Yep -- I tried to get away with it's actual weight -- I was able to get a weigh slip for just over 7k total. However, she looked at the listed GVW on the sticker, which was 7,500, and said nope, you get to inspect every year. Wah wah.

FWIW, using the kill switch wasn't as annoying as I thought -- I clipped it to the bottom of my shorts, and had plenty of stretch to stand up and look around. Only walked off with it once, and the engine was already off. Just another habit.

Comment

this looks a good solution for the kill switch

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fell-...49?recordNum=1

Comment

Working...
                              X