Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just getting in to boating. Need some guidance on boats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what year R boats have the TAPS3 on them? and was it an option, so some boats of any given year may or may not have it installed?

Comment

The R21 is the Z1 without a couple bells n whistles. R23 is the Z3. Same hull, same surf systems called TAPS3 started in ???? I guess it was 2016 or so, but not sure. The Z3 was Tige’s flagship for 3 or so years before the RZX was out and has a great surf wave if you load up 900+lbs of lead. I bought a 2019 R23 for the Z3 performance at a reduced cost.

I’d be surprised if you find an older boat that doesn’t need some lead to get an optimal wave out of the boat. Go watch wake9 polar bear reviews, all those boats have lead except for maybe the G23, but your not gonna find a newer G23 for the price your talking.

R20 =RZR
      R22=RZR2 or something like that. Can’t remember model number.

GSA is a company that make an aftermarket surfsystem. The GSA system is apparently so good that Tige and MB(I think) is using them now. Tige switched in to GSA in 2020. Lots of people are swapping out TAPS3 plates for GSA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for such a nice information sharing.Your information helps me a lot.We are providing a physical therapist at village physiotherapy in a variety of settings including stroke rehab, acute care orthopedics and medicine, ICU, and geriatric rehab.http://villagephysiotherapy.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by village77 View Post
          geriatric rehab....
          I know a few guys in here who might fit that bill... just sayin

Comment

if you are still wanting to stay in the budget line my preference would be centurion avalanche/enzo or tige 22ve-rz2/24ve-rz4. those 2 hulls, imo, are the best surf hulls prior to 2010.
            I would lean toward the tige first as centurion has the switchblade option that I have heard is horrid on fuel economy and not the best for surfing and a lot of the centurions back then had sideswipe exhausts that are just plain loud. for me, centurion hull would have to be non-switchblade/sideswipe and that cuts the market in half. tige of the day guys had issues with ecu's and the metacrap towers but otherwise they are solid boats.

heyday will fit the bill to surf and the wave is getting pretty good reviews but GOOD LUCK with resale if you decide to get out/upgrade in a few years.

and last .02 if you want opinions on boats go to the boat specific forums. wakeworld will derail quickly and loaded with drama

and off topic, Dave, you sure do like supporting and encouraging those spammers bet you sent that post from your "iphone"....
            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
              if you are still wanting to stay in the budget line my preference would be centurion avalanche/enzo or tige 22ve-rz2/24ve-rz4. those 2 hulls, imo, are the best surf hulls prior to 2010.
              I would lean toward the tige first as centurion has the switchblade option that I have heard is horrid on fuel economy and not the best for surfing and a lot of the centurions back then had sideswipe exhausts that are just plain loud. for me, centurion hull would have to be non-switchblade/sideswipe and that cuts the market in half. tige of the day guys had issues with ecu's and the metacrap towers but otherwise they are solid boats.

heyday will fit the bill to surf and the wave is getting pretty good reviews but GOOD LUCK with resale if you decide to get out/upgrade in a few years.

and last .02 if you want opinions on boats go to the boat specific forums. wakeworld will derail quickly and loaded with drama

and off topic, Dave, you sure do like supporting and encouraging those spammers bet you sent that post from your "iphone"....
              Doesn’t the heyday use a suck gate? I thought I saw that heyday doesn’t have a surf system like Taps3 or GSA etc......

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                Doesn’t the heyday use a suck gate? I thought I saw that heyday doesn’t have a surf system like Taps3 or GSA etc......

They aren't running any surf system at all. Just listing and hull design I believe. Interesting concept.
                I love the concept but damn they are ugly.

OP: GSA is Go Surf Assist, it's a system with a brain, actuators, and tabs that automates your surf wave. It's the system that tige and MB have switched to for their in house surf system. It's about 4K+ install and should work on most any hull with a little experimenting.

Comment

How are you mechanically? If you’re thinking older boats, you’re going to want to, at minimum, understand the fundamentals of a boat, and be able to diagnose and repair a few things, possibly on the water. Unfortunately boats break, once in awhile you’ll luck out and get one that never has a problem, but I think that less common than not. What you’re willing, to work on, might dictate some options, as far as what you buy. One of my less than mechanically inclined buddies had an ‘04 Avalanche, which meant I spent time fixing stuff for him.
                  I was pretty solid, mechanically before buying a boat, but had to learn, and work on my boat, quite a bit the last couple of years. And mine is still under warranty. Just food for thought.

Also, I’m in Nevada, at a pretty similar elevation as you. Whatever you find, test that thing at elevation, full of weight. If you end up with something a little smaller, it probably isn’t as much of an issue, but boats struggle a lot more from elevation than you would guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
                    I know a few guys in here who might fit that bill... just sayin
                    You need to get these guys on board as sponsors at the Reunion. We could all use their help after a long day on the water.

Comment

Working...
                    X