Battery Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Charger

2019 R23 raptor 400 with dual battery setup. I recently noticed the ProMainer ProSport12 charger is not working. The procedure I use is when boat gets back to storage, I turn battery switch to OFF, then plug in charger to AC power. The blue AC Power LED immediately comes on, stays on solid blue and that’s it. No other LEDs come on. The last time I pulled the charger panel to verify the LEDs was very early in the season, maybe even before I had the 200amp alternator swapped out in which the alternator put out 18v on the crank battery according to touch2 screen.

Thoughts? Is the charge broke? How does the charger respond if the batteries are not connected? I didn’t see this fault behavior in the user manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

subscribed. I plugged my boat in the other day and no lights came on. it feels like the extension cord is not making good contact to the plug in the rear locker but interested to see what others say to look for.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Correct the extension cord is not making good connection. You have to reach from behind and push the male plug through the hole all the way after a couple of plug in’s.. it get push back. Went through this over the 4th. Total pain till I figured why the connection was not happing. And as it turn out had a wire come lose that charged the batteries from the alternator for the reason my batteries going dead in a couple of hours. Even replaced one battery and fought the charger every night till I figured it all out.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphmuller View Post
        Correct the extension cord is not making good connection. You have to reach from behind and push the male plug through the hole all the way after a couple of plug in’s.. it get push back. Went through this over the 4th. Total pain till I figured why the connection was not happing. And as it turn out had a wire come lose that charged the batteries from the alternator for the reason my batteries going dead in a couple of hours. Even replaced one battery and fought the charger every night till I figured it all out.
        I’ve corrected the make plug already. I’m probably going to drimmel out the plastic piece that is between the male plug and extension cord to prevent that problem in the future, but that’s not my problem right now. My charger gets AC power because the ac power led is on.

Comment

The shore power outlet tige has uses, sandwiches the charges plug into an outlet body. They are prone to allow the charges male plug to back out. If this is an issue, you can remove the shore power outlet and try to reseat the male plug. However, I would take it to the next step, and replace the shore power outlet with the NOCO GCP1 outlet. It uses a female pigtail to connect to the chargers male, then has its own maile built into the outlet body for your extension cord.

Next the lights. The promariner has a battery check status light that is one color upon initial power up. It may take a few minutes, but the light will change colors when the chargers confirms the banks are connected and the batteries are ready to be charged. I cant remember the colors, but they are described in the manual, which can be found on their web site.

SO if you do not get that charge status change after a new minutes after power up, check the charge bank fuses and that boat bank positives and negatives are connected. If all is good there, then the issue is a battery that the charger feels should be charged, or the charger itself.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
            The shore power outlet tige has uses, sandwiches the charges plug into an outlet body. They are prone to allow the charges male plug to back out. If this is an issue, you can remove the shore power outlet and try to reseat the male plug. However, I would take it to the next step, and replace the shore power outlet with the NOCO GCP1 outlet. It uses a female pigtail to connect to the chargers male, then has its own maile built into the outlet body for your extension cord.

Next the lights. The promariner has a battery check status light that is one color upon initial power up. It may take a few minutes, but the light will change colors when the chargers confirms the banks are connected and the batteries are ready to be charged. I cant remember the colors, but they are described in the manual, which can be found on their web site.

SO if you do not get that charge status change after a new minutes after power up, check the charge bank fuses and that boat bank positives and negatives are connected. If all is good there, then the issue is a battery that the charger feels should be charged, or the charger itself.
            Spot on CHP.....this one is much better

NOCO GCP1 13 Amp 125V AC Port Plug with 16-Inch Integrated Extension Cord https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ANV81S..._5sPxDbZ3YZQ9J

I’ve read the manual pretty good and know about the couple minutes battery check. Mine stays solid blue for >10min. I’m guessing my dealer didn’t connect the charger back to the batteries. I’ll stick my head down there and take a look.

Comment

Do you know what part# tige uses for the battery switch and isolator?

Comment

thx chp and ralph. I'll check it out tomorrow while at the house.

appreciate it. hope mine powers up now.

I hope I'm not in the same boat bamer is in
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

So had 60, and took a refresher look at the manual.

AC Power = blue all the time when plugged up to AC
                  Battery type = should indicate the type (color plug) you have charger set to
                  System Check = should illuminate a green check after a few minutes. If do not get this check, then it usually indicates a bank is not connected, fuse blown, or bad battery.
                  Charge mode = once the other lights are illuminated, your charger should always be in one of these modes. However, if it stays in charge mode, this usually indicates a bad battery or an unwanted load.

If the green check never lights up, then there should be one or more bank status lights illuminated.

The main battery switch is either the full size blue sea 5511 or the mini 6011. The isolator used for the past few model years has been the promariner proisocharge. Seems to be a number of failures with these. Before that, it was some obscure VSR type unit from BattCom. They seemed to also be prone to failure.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

So had 60, and took a refresher look at the manual.

AC Power = blue all the time when plugged up to AC
                    Battery type = should indicate the type (color plug) you have charger set to
                    System Check = should illuminate a green check after a few minutes. If do not get this check, then it usually indicates a bank is not connected, fuse blown, or bad battery.
                    Charge mode = once the other lights are illuminated, your charger should always be in one of these modes.
                    Fuse blown? Were is this fuse?

Comment

Each charge bank has a fuse about 6" from the battery terminal. There may be just one inline on the B+, but could also be one on the B- also.

Comment

Each charge bank has a fuse about 6" from the battery terminal. There may be just one inline on the B+, but could also be one on the B- also.
                        So I should expect to find fuse holder n ring terminals that look like this?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Battery Charger

Terminals were connected, fuses good, I’m betting Charger is broke.......adding it to end of year warranty list

According to this part of the manual, my charger never enters the test mode.

Comment

chp. thx for the advice. pushed the plug thru and charger is working. will be adding this to the list during the winter stereo rebuild.
                              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
                              X