Gel coat restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gel coat restoration

This probably belongs under another heading, but here goes... I've been trying to wet sand and polish the gelcoat to get rid of the ghosting from prior decals. I don't seem to be making any progress. I recently purchased the most aggressive 3M compound but even that didn't make much difference. Overall, the hull doesn't look terrible, but compared to the black underneath it looks faded. I have not yet tried any wet sanding below 1500 grit. Is that the issue? What grit should I be starting with, and what increments would you use to follow after (i.e. 800, then 1200, then 2000)?

I don't see how you will remove the ghosting. The boat has been in the sun for 15 years now and the area behind the decal was protected from UV this whole time. Maybe I'm wrong on this one but I doubt it.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have a 2003 22v that is black and I have removed all the decals and wet sanded it a few times starting with I think as far down as 400 grit and going up to 2000 then polishing with Hula boat care products. While wet sanding does do a great job of freshing up the gel coat I also could not get rid of the ghosting from the original decals. I also kind of think once they have been in the sun for too long you might not get it all the same again.

Comment

thanks for sharing... I think I'm at a point of diminishing returns on the work I'm putting in. I may have to let my OCD go!

Comment

yeah I was the same way. I just came up with a new decal that covered most of the area of the old and got used too it.

Comment

Working...
          X