Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 Tige 22ve... low hours... too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 Tige 22ve... low hours... too much?

I found a 2008 Tige 22ve that I really like. It has 55 hours on it. I know the seller has had to replace a bunch of seals because it sat too long. Assuming it is operational, I have a few questions.
    1. What am I sacrificing going that old? What do newer models include that would not be included here?
    2. Surfing? Maybe there are good add ons that would make it compete with newer models?
    3. How do I check for other "non use" problems?
    4. Is $38,000 to much to pay? I am not experienced at blue booking boats.

It does have ballast tanks and a nice stereo apparently. Love some thoughts from experienced Tige folks though. I have had an I/O for 20 years. Trying to step up for wake boarding and surfing.
    Last edited by cboshdave; 08-15-2019, 03:57 PM.

That doesn't seem like a terrible price if the engine is solid.

1. You are sacrificing auto surf systems, Tige introduced their Taps3 surf system in 2016 all controlled by the touch screen.
    2. You will probably need to add bigger ballast sacs which really isn't a big deal. Chpthril on here can get you what you need in that department. Probably want to get a wake shaper of some sort.
    3. Make sure the Taps 2 plate goes through it's full range from 1-8, you will want that plate functional to dial in your wakeboard wake and surf wave. Drive shaft seal maybe dried out from sitting, I'd water test for a while BEFORE you fill ballast and make sure you aren't getting a bunch of water in the hull. Check fluids in engine, V-drive and transmission and make sure they look okay. Make sure the steering is easy to turn, may need a steering cable which is common to replace every 5-7 years. Fill the ballast make sure the pumps work and connections aren't leaking, drain ballast and check same thing.
    4. That doesn't seem like a bad price to me.
    5. Make sure the speed control works I think it was still Tige SpeedSet in 2008 but someone on here will correct me. Speed Set has some known issues with the control pad and honestly its not the best speed control system. (I had a 2006 24ve that I just traded in a week ago).
    6. Check tower bolts and make sure everything is tight.
    7. Inspect prop, rudder and tracking fins to make sure they are straight and true.

Hope that helps a bit man, good luck.

Comment

with jtryon I'd do a compression test and a water test and hand over the cash. I'd try to settle on 35.
      I loved my old 22ve and that's a great surf hull. looked for one when we bought last year and couldn't find one in good shape with lower hours. if I was looking I'd be all over that.
      there's a member on here that has some replacement speedset parts and everything else should be easy to come by.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

The speed set in 06 is different then 08. They changed it in 07 and it apparently performs much better. I have an 07 and it works great.
        Plumbing in a ballast system (if it’s not already done) will cost ya around 2k or double that if someone else does it for you. You’ll need at least a 1000 lbs in each corner locker and a 750 lb U shaped sack up front (guessing mine only holds about 650 because of space restrictions). Add another 500 in lead 200 each corner and 100 in the bow walkway under the filler pad) and you’re really in business. (11.6-12.2 mph, TAPS 4-6, and a slight list to the surf side)
        Do all that and use a good shaper like a wakesurf edge, swell, or buy one of mine and you’ll have a great wave. I make and sell these if you wanna save a bit of cheddar and have a proven great wave with the above mentioned set up. Mine work great, float, and are affordable at $150 to your door.
        FE773E47-E7B0-435A-B18C-FE9147D21A78.jpg
        F45AE7E7-7E36-41AE-87B7-2AC80E8F6DE7.jpg

As far as Wakeboarding put about 400 in the bow and a couple hundred in each corner, speed 22 on a 75’ line and the wake is awesome. I don’t get crazy with ballast for waking because I value my knees.

It may be due for a steering cable (if steering is stiff)
        I’d replace drive belts and impeller at minimum. Those are consumables and will need to be replaced at regular intervals. Belts will last awhile if tensioned correctly, impeller I do yearly.
        Check the condition of all the hoses. Look for rotting rubber by squeezing, etc..
        You may need to adjust the drive shaft seal if it leaking. (pretty easy using the how to in this forum) they will sometimes be water tight until under heavy load then leak like crazy.
        Check fluids, trailer maintenance is often overlooked. When were the bearings last taken out and lubed or changed, bunks, tires, etc...
        I’d be a buyer more in the $34-35k range like Sandm said.

I love my 22VE and plan on having it for as long as it floats! They are a great performing, roomy boat without the added worry of the digital interfaces to fail.

Oh yea, you’ll definitely want an FAE (fresh air exhaust $500) best addition next to automated ballast!

Cheers
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jetdriver; 08-16-2019, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Someone on here just posted the same boat: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...2008-Tige-22VE

If you're near Kansas it may be worth a look.

Comment

Jetdriver, where do you place your wakeshaper on the 22ve?

I had a deposit on an 06 22ve this winter but the deal went south and i ended up getting an 05 22v. On both boats the hour meters read very low hours, like 30hrs and 4 hrs. The seller claimed the dealer pulled the hours from the engine computer on the 22ve and it was in the mid 200s. I got a good deal on the 22v so i never pushed the issue an figured I could afford to replace the engine if it came to it. The boat looked like it spent its life on a mooring with the cover on and the oil looked super clean after the test ride.
            I would spend 35k+ on a 22ve that looked like it was garage kept, only had 55 hours and test drove well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

ADBEA47D-21CA-4C26-ABD5-20981BD7B2C3.jpg

Love my 08 22ve!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cucv View Post
                Jetdriver, where do you place your wakeshaper on the 22ve?
                I’ve liked the results with it as low and as far back as I can go but some guys like to move them forward about another foot or so. I angle it down to eliminate any splashing and I feel like it also helps list the boat a touch as well.
                Mess with the placement and angle a bit to see what it does to your wave.

79194DE4-E735-4B96-AF53-60C8B7BDEB78.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                  I’ve liked the results with it as low and as far back as I can go but some guys like to move them forward about another foot or so. I angle it down to eliminate any splashing and I feel like it also helps list the boat a touch as well.
                  Mess with the placement and angle a bit to see what it does to your wave.

[ATTACH]51465[/ATTACH]
                  When running my gate there, I have a solid stream of water over the top of it. 1100 lbs surf side, none gate side, 550 in front. 300Ibs driver and spotter (rough numbers). I had it angled down but will try more angle as you show. Stock prop was struggling. I had water in the gate side tank but kept emptying it to see if i could get more of a spray than a stream over the top til it was empty still with a stream. I even cut the gate height in half. I plan to take decals off above your location and try again. I really want to go with slappers long term, just surprised how tall they may have to be for my boat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

If your getting spray or wash over. Move the gate forward on the hill as low as possible. Will help with spray. I run all factory full. 400 front 250 ea rear corn. 1200 port side and then about 500 off side. I have 2 gates I keep trying. 1 I made to replicate a surfgate. It suctions on and actually sticks out the side the same spot a surf gate does. And another I made is like a swell or such. The surfgate one produces no extra spray. The swell style one I have to move up about 18” on the side of the hill low as possible. Wave seems steeper with swell style. Not sure which is better yet. I also have 400 bag I put on surf side rear seat when no adults in boat I am finding I’m needing more in the bow with that much in the back.

Comment

I'll echo what dukes said above as I run a similar set up to his for the most part and firmly believe in listing with the shaper. I don't find the VE likes to run near flat and best results come from being quite listed....port side anyway, starboard not so bad. Here are your expected waves when loaded right up along with my oh so beautiful DIY shaper.lol. It's on its third revision as I played with the gate size while on holidays. The white was the old ~9"x7" and the size I'll now keep it at.....just have to buy the wife a new cutting board.ha ha.

You won't have all the fancy gadgets the new boats have but it definitely doesn't mean you can't get a great wave and have a great time out on your boat. You will however have to invest some extra dollars on top of the purchase price for the ballast setup, prop (Acme 1235), and I'd also recommend FAE.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X