Fuel consumption questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel consumption questions

We have a 2004 22v merc 350 in adult surf trim we have a total of 3000lbs of ballast and maybe 1000lbs of people and gear, Swell shaper.

I swear my fuel consumption has doubled half way through the summer, I haven't done a detailed calculation this year but I am guessing we were doing 4-5 GPH beginning of summer and now I am guessing at 6-8 GPH.

Doesn't smell like we are running rich, getting gas from same station, same speeds same lake, same etc etc.

Plugs, cap and rotor issue?

When did you add the swell shaper?
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Last year, add more wgt this year, understand all the wgt and the swell increases drag, all was good for a few months, just seems like one day it decided to drink a lot more gas.
      Might have to do with us getting better and surfing for 30 minute runs instead of idling every 5 minutes and spending time picking up riders.

Comment

My consumption is always in the 4-5 range without a shaper. Shaper's you can see the RPMs jump a bit and generally hog the gas. I am not sure if its the more equal weighting or the drag from the shaper but its noticeable.
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

The more I think about it, consumption went up because people got better or least staying on the rope longer or free riding longer. I tried to go just with a list but the push just isn't there unless the shaper is on.

Comment

The shaper kills the gas. Adds lots of resistance equaling higher rpm

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Smiles per gallon is how I measure fuel consumption

Comment

Originally posted by Aspidaso View Post
                The more I think about it, consumption went up because people got better or least staying on the rope longer or free riding longer. I tried to go just with a list but the push just isn't there unless the shaper is on.
                Where do you have the gate? I've been playing around with a diy gate and struggling to find a good location. I feel like I need to remove the 22v sticker even when using the gate when listed. Have you changed your prop? When i have the gate under the sticker the stock prop struggles and just seems to low. As I move it forward i have had more success.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lancehon View Post
                  Smiles per gallon is how I measure fuel consumption
                  ^^ this is the best take I've seen on this. Hope you dont mind me appropriating it.

Comment

We refer to gasoline as "memories in liquid form". From lots of family experience, I can assure you that when you're elderly and in the nursing home, the currency of the realm is the stories you can share - not how much money you didn't spend when you were with friends and family. Don't go into debt, but also don't be afraid to burn more gasoline. Your whole family will be happier and closer, and that's way more important than money.

Comment

Working...
                    X