Ballast Leak 2019 R23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast Leak 2019 R23

This past weekend my rear starboard plug n play ballast started leaking near the drain port. After I drained and unplugged it, there were no obvious holes or tears, so I inspected the two gaskets that looked fine. I reconnected and made sure the quick disconnect connector was fully engaged and filled the bag again. No leak until the bag was just about full and it started spraying water again. Any idea as what might be leaking? I’d guess it leaks about a half gallon a minute or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one that the glue failed, where the fitting glues to the bag. Maybe you can pull it out, cap some stuff and attach to a garden hose, to try and get it to leak??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
      I had one that the glue failed, where the fitting glues to the bag. Maybe you can pull it out, cap some stuff and attach to a garden hose, to try and get it to leak??

Good idea!

Comment

I get the frustration! I’ve had 3 bags fail in the last year, it’s maddening to get back to the ramp and have 200 gallons of water come out of the drain plug..

Comment

I get the frustration! I’ve had 3 bags fail in the last year, it’s maddening to get back to the ramp and have 200 gallons of water come out of the drain plug..

my 2018 just failed at the same spot, same bag. just going to warranty it and be done. Annoying, but not a weekend killer. my biggest issue is the goofy wave with taps 3 seems so much more sensitive to weight and conditions that anything affecting ballast just exacerbates the problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ballast Leak 2019 R23

Originally posted by cnote View Post
            my 2018 just failed at the same spot, same bag. just going to warranty it and be done. Annoying, but not a weekend killer. my biggest issue is the goofy wave with taps 3 seems so much more sensitive to weight and conditions that anything affecting ballast just exacerbates the problem.

Where exactly was your bag leaking at? Pics? Did you have to take to the boat or bag in to get it replaced or did John send you one?

Do you have a mitigation strategy to prevent this issue? Maybe extra support around the connector?

Last edited by Bamer; 08-14-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Ballast Leak 2019 R23

What were the failures? Bag puncture or connector leaks? What bags failed?

Do you have a mitigation strategy to prevent this issue? Maybe extra support around the connector?

Comment

they ordered me a new one, i haven't picked it up yet, just going to swap it on my own so i don't have to drive it back to dlr. i bet they'd send it to me if i asked but eagle is right on the way out to pk for me. pic where the weld is at the drain. the extra junk is various glue and vinyl sealer we put on to try to slow it down.

Comment

Originally posted by cnote View Post
                  they ordered me a new one, i haven't picked it up yet, just going to swap it on my own so i don't have to drive it back to dlr. i bet they'd send it to me if i asked but eagle is right on the way out to pk for me. pic where the weld is at the drain. the extra junk is various glue and vinyl sealer we put on to try to slow it down.

Was the Leak between the black connector and orange area?

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                    Was the Leak between the black connector and orange area?

nope, at the weld where the grey and orange meet.

Comment

Same, mine was somewhere around where the grey and orange meet, from the dealer’s description.. I never could see the actual leak on that one. It was in my front bags, so I just took it to them.

Comment

Does the 90deg elbow unscrew from the bag?

Comment

Pretty sure, on mine, it’s part of the bag.. I barely messed with mine, I was mostly hoping for a line or fitting to be leaking, so I could fix it myself..

Comment

Looks like my plug n play bags do have a fitting that screws into the bag. My subfloor bags looks like the connector cnote posted with the orange surround.

Here’s a pic of my small plug n play bag. I assume larger L bag is the same. I’ll find out Saturday.

Comment

Found the leak. Looks like it came unglued too!!! New bag on order.

Comment

Working...
                              X