Swing and a miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing and a miss

So not to just brand bash, but I thought I'd share something that yall might get a chuckle at.

Moomba(along with everyone this year) started doing a wireless charger. It looks great. Someone in their infinite wisdom put it DIRECTLY under the windshield on the black dash. I dont know about you guys but when my phone gets hot it quits charging and functioning in general. Has happened while sitting out on the dash before. Great idea, poor execution.
    Attached Files

Haha! That is pretty damn stupid!! Mine overheats in like 3 minutes, on there, even with a tinted windshield.. I leave mine on the dash a lot, just so it isn’t sliding around, a lot, but throw a T-shirt on it, which usually works, and that’s under a quality tint.

Ps, sounds like you are brand bashing, to me!!

Plus, apparently Rick James is rolling around on Moombas!! My iPhone 6 needs a damn cord to charge!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ps, sounds like you are brand bashing, to me!!

[/QUOTE]

Really am not. Love me some Skiers Choice boats as well. The shop boat in 16 was a Craz and I have nothing but good things to say about that boat. Havent had a Max or Makai out yet. Pretty stoked on the Kaiyen. Its looks transcend budget to borderline Supra level IMO. If I had $ I'd roll an SL all day. One of my favorite boats all around.

Just felt like this was one of those features where an engineer thought it was a great idea, but doesnt actually get out to use the boats. Felt like anyone that's ever been and and set their phone on the helm under the window would know that is the worst place for a qi charger. Especially since the phone starts building heat on it's own while charging.

Especially since Moomba has the handy phone holder slots in the gunnel cupholder areas further back in the boat(under tower bases in recessed areas). Seems like integrating the chargers into those areas would have made more sense. I'm just a dumb mechanic tho.

Comment

I’m just joking brotha!! You probably have more insight into stuff that “should” and “shouldn’t” be done, than any of us. The majority would probably think it’s a cool idea, until their phone overheated for the 412th time, then they’d realize how stupid it is. You look at most industries, and the designers have no clue about what they’re designing, where they should be talking to the guys that are working in the industry as to what’s functional. We see it with the places we work, every single day.

Comment

Lol, I have to be careful man. I post too much and work at a dealer for now 5 brands(cant wait for our first ATX to show up), and a toon line.

I will go out there and say something really crazy. I've always dislike MC. We became a dealer and I hated them even more as a tech. Got the chance to put about 4 hours on an Xstar in both the captain chair and on the wave. If I had 180k to blow I'd be all about it. Or you could just buy 2 R23s and always have a backup

I'm super fortunate to have a boss/owner that encourages and enables us to get out and be on boats. It's hard for a tech to understand surf wave complaints when they dont get to get out and use the products they are working on.
          Last edited by freeheel4life; 08-02-2019, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Hopefully everyone knows you always have nothing but good intentions!! I can find something to pick apart on every boat, and I’m sure you could pick apart 6x what I can. In reality there are a lot of really nice boats these days, and they all have some really good points, and they all have varying degrees of negatives. The sticker on the side seems to be meaning less by the year. If you had told me that a moomba would be, or at least, approaching a pretty damn premium boat, 10 years ago, I would have probably laughed at you.

First watercraft I ever bought was a 1994 mastercraft wet jet, and it was the biggest POS on the planet. I’ve absolutely hated mastercraft ever since. The pope couldn’t convince me to take a free top of the line mastercraft after that thing. Best thing that ever happened to it was me almost getting killed being hit on it, by a buddy’s wife on her jet ski and sinking it off of Beach 5, at Lahontan!!

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
              Lol, I have to be careful man. I post too much and work at a dealer for now 5 brands(cant wait for our first ATX to show up), and a toon line.

I will go out there and say something really crazy. I've always dislike MC. We became a dealer and I hated them even more as a tech. Got the chance to put about 4 hours on an Xstar in both the captain chair and on the wave. If I had 180k to blow I'd be all about it. Or you could just buy 2 R23s and always have a backup

I'm super fortunate to have a boss/owner that encourages and enables us to get out and be on boats. It's hard for a tech to understand surf wave complaints when they dont get to get out and use the products they are working on.
              Mastercraft blows... hehe. Jk, well kind of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Germaine Marine
              "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

That's crazy Zack. Hopefully everyone was okay from that shenanigans. I will try and find it but ol Rick Tinker (head honcho at SC) posted the percentages of price increases for this year. IIRC correctly they were all under 5% yet picked up more standard features(including another 1k lbs of ballast that was needed in the Max). Is impressive what they are doing while not inflating price(relatively lol).

I'm with you J. I hate the towers. It's a joke to call something a zero flex tower that rattles going down the lake. It's even more ridiculous to pay extra for it when you can get a better tower standard on some other lines. Chad sold an NXT22 that was so stripped down it had no bimini and literally NO stereo for pretty loaded R23 $ this summer. All because of brand loyalty. I mostly hate how they go out of their way to be "proprietary" when they are really doing the same stuff as everyone else(Murphy, Lenco, lots of BEP, Ancor, Blue Sea parts around the boat).

Okay, that's some brand bashing lol.
                Last edited by freeheel4life; 08-02-2019, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Swing and a miss

Hugh props to your owner and boss! Of the 5 employees at my dealer that I interact with, only 1 of them has any clue about using the boats and what to expect as normal operation. It’s a little frustrating to me, mostly because the one guy is so swamped with sales he doesn’t have time to interact much. I even had a jr sales guys telling stuff about the boats that was complete bs, like the ballast intake is combined with the engine intake through the hull, I was like “no” no it’s not....look below the boat buddy!

Edit: I was n always very respectful to him......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Bamer; 08-02-2019, 02:47 PM.

Comment

So true. I try to BS with guys at any dealership, to find out who actually knows the real world stuff. There’s exactly one guy at our Harley dealership that I’ll let touch my bike. Knowing stuff at a text book level, and knowing the real world application, are 2 totally different things.

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
                      Hopefully everyone knows you always have nothing but good intentions!! I can find something to pick apart on every boat, and I’m sure you could pick apart 6x what I can. In reality there are a lot of really nice boats these days, and they all have some really good points, and they all have varying degrees of negatives. The sticker on the side seems to be meaning less by the year. If you had told me that a moomba would be, or at least, approaching a pretty damn premium boat, 10 years ago, I would have probably laughed at you.

First watercraft I ever bought was a 1994 mastercraft wet jet, and it was the biggest POS on the planet. I’ve absolutely hated mastercraft ever since. The pope couldn’t convince me to take a free top of the line mastercraft after that thing. Best thing that ever happened to it was me almost getting killed being hit on it, by a buddy’s wife on her jet ski and sinking it off of Beach 5, at Lahontan!!

I hate jetskis as well as MC.

We’ll be on 7 all weekend. We’re bringing our new Nautique buddy. He’s got the cutest little ‘Tweek you ever saw.
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

That's crazy Zack. Hopefully everyone was okay from that shenanigans. I will try and find it but ol Rick Tinker (head honcho at SC) posted the percentages of price increases for this year. IIRC correctly they were all under 5% yet picked up more standard features(including another 1k lbs of ballast that was needed in the Max). Is impressive what they are doing while not inflating price(relatively lol).

I'm with you J. I hate the towers. It's a joke to call something a zero flex tower that rattles going down the lake. It's even more ridiculous to pay extra for it when you can get a better tower standard on some other lines. Chad sold an NXT22 that was so stripped down it had no bimini and literally NO stereo for pretty loaded R23 $ this summer. All because of brand loyalty. I mostly hate how they go out of their way to be "proprietary" when they are really doing the same stuff as everyone else(Murphy, Lenco, lots of BEP, Ancor, Blue Sea parts around the boat).

Okay, that's some brand bashing lol.
                        I rode a 24 a few weeks back, I would own it. Damn thing is quiet as a church mouse.
                        Germaine Marine

Comment

Whats funny now is the amount of dealers that arent real toward customers. I personally wouldnt use my own money to buy a malibu although its a nice boat, but I would use my own money to buy just about any main MFG out currently thats in the elite conversation and that includes, MC, CC, Tige, SC. Without a doubt If you own one of those MFG and even Malibu, you are going to be stoked and anyone who tells you otherwise has an agenda. Do I value some things in the lines I carry over the others? Absolutely, its why I choose to carry them when I had my choice of who I wanted in CA out of all the players. But at the end of the day, the dead nuts truth is that everyone has everyone elses boats cut apart to get an edge and thus every boat now is pretty damn awesome if the performance sector.
                          Germaine Marine

Comment

Dealers can make or break a deal. When we first bought our r20 we knew absolutely nothing about true tournament style boats or much about wakesurfing. What had us sold was the dealer, the owner of the dealer was a straight forward guy who knew his stuff, and was honest about the good and the bad. To the average buyer who isn’t as into the specifics as we are that is what really sells the boat. So I do believe that all the guys in the shop should be knowledgeable about the boat. I’ve been to boat shows and the sales guys were literally in awe because they were learning so much about the boats they were selling.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
                              I hate jetskis as well as MC.

We’ll be on 7 all weekend. We’re bringing our new Nautique buddy. He’s got the cutest little ‘Tweek you ever saw.
                              I was like 18, all I could get my hands on, at the time! I’m glad it’s long gone, hate jet skis just as much, and maybe even hate Disaster Raft even more!!

My buddies will all be on 8, again, I’m gonna try and get out for a day, but I’m not sure yet. Kelly is out of town, and I have work and dogs to deal with, so we’ll see what happens.

Which model??

Comment

Working...
                              X