Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this normal?

Issue1)
    2019 R23 with raptor400. Engine normally runs at 159-162 except when surfing, the temp creeps up to 176 or so and drops back to 160 within a min or so of returning to idle/while picking up rider. Ballast setup similar to ElevatedConcepts thread in the Z3. Is this normal?

Issue2)
    After boat is dry and I turn the prop by hand a quarter turn, there is a vibration sound coming from the strut area. This sound did not occur prior to first service. Is this normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read that title and was afraid to open the thread in fear of a selfie showing a rash or something.

Other than that I’m no help.

Comment

Dry cutlass bearings in the strut will make noise/vibrate. I'd double check motor mounts and shaft log clearance to be sure, but I wouldnt worry as long as those are good.

I'd say thermostat is going its job in my experience. Does it stay parked at 176 while.surfing or drop back down to 171ish after it starts to peak. On a trailer and fake a lake you cant watch it warm up and literally watch the thermostat open on the screen and cool back down.

Comment

Is this normal?

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
        Dry cutlass bearings in the strut will make noise/vibrate. I'd double check motor mounts and shaft log clearance to be sure, but I wouldnt worry as long as those are good.

I'd say thermostat is going its job in my experience. Does it stay parked at 176 while.surfing or drop back down to 171ish after it starts to peak. On a trailer and fake a lake you cant watch it warm up and literally watch the thermostat open on the screen and cool back down.

Should the motor mount and shaft log clearance be checked at the first service?

I’ll pay closer attention to temp, but I believe it peaks and drops to 171 and then back to 160 at idle. Hard to tell as very few riders ride for more than a minute or so....lol everyone is learning to surf

Last edited by Bamer; 07-30-2019, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
          I read that title and was afraid to open the thread in fear of a selfie showing a rash or something.

Other than that I’m no help.
          lol [emoji13]

Comment

Is this normal?

Picked up the boat just now after sitting in dry storage and I noticed water dripping when I pulled the boat of the storage.
            What’s going on here?

Watch video here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y4enMg4Ttq6mKsdx9

Or here’s a pic

Bilge is pretty dry

Comment

So I get under the boat and find the the shaft is not centered and looks like the shaft has move forward and aft?

Comment

Here are some shots of cutless bearing clearance. You can see on one side the bearing is not in contact with the shaft.

Also checked shaft nut and only 1-2threads are exposed.

Does any of these items need attention or just normal?

Comment

The in and out play doesnt seem right, if it is truly moving in and out. Id think you would hear a pretty loud clunk if it was moving. Especially between forward and reverse or right out of the hole. Grab a chunk of 2x4 and block the prop. Then grab and 1 1/16 socket and check that nut at the coupler.

The water coming out is fairly normal. The shaft seal gets its water from bottom of the heat exchanger so any water in the exchanger can gravity drain on it's own. If you were raising or lowering the tongue and moving it around it's likely some water that was just in the exchanger finding it's way out they the shaft seal.

Comment

The in and out play doesnt seem right, if it is truly moving in and out. Id think you would hear a pretty loud clunk if it was moving. Especially between forward and reverse or right out of the hole. Grab a chunk of 2x4 and block the prop. Then grab and 1 1/16 socket and check that nut at the coupler.

The water coming out is fairly normal. The shaft seal gets its water from bottom of the heat exchanger so any water in the exchanger can gravity drain on it's own. If you were raising or lowering the tongue and moving it around it's likely some water that was just in the exchanger finding it's way out they the shaft seal.
                    Thanks for the info. I do get a pretty good clunk going into reverse. I was told that’s normal. It’s smooth as can be going into forward.

I blocked the prop and tried to tighten the nut, but it wouldn’t budge. How much torque is a reasonable amount to put on it?

Is there a way to test the movement of the shaft?

Comment

Short of just marking that polished spot on the shaft with a sharpie or paint pen and seeing if it wear away I have no ideas.

Comment

had a similar wear spot on a 2013 z1. Ended up diagnosing the v-drive having a failing thrust washer/bearing. The only way to see the play in action was looking at the coupler from the side and shifting into gear.

Freeheels thought to black marker all the way around the shaft where it is shinny and drive it will show if you are getting travel.

Being a 2019 you should be able to have it checked to really figure out where it’s coming from.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                          Yeah, for some reason I was reminded of this joke:

"Do you smoke after sex?"

"Not sure, I've never looked."

Comment

Working...
                          X