23ZX demo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23ZX demo.

Well, I drove and surfed behind a 23 ZX today. I really didn't expect much difference from our 2017 RZX3 but I was really impressed with the boat overall. It was a surprising experience. The overall boat feels much more refined and the wave was very good. We filled the PNP which I do not have in my RZX but the weight is about the same even without RZX PNP. I am a novice and certainly no wave nitnoid like many on the forum, but it sure was a good wave. Much more push than my RZX and much longer too. I was riding way farther back than I ever have. My wife noticed it too and if she sees it it must be true. She doesn't pay attention to stuff like that but she picked up on it right away.
    I did not ride without PNP and you certainly give up storage to get those full. Something you don't lose in the rzx3 for the same weight but I still felt the quality of the wave was better. Maybe if I drop PNP in my boat it would be different but I also don't have the 2-1 transmission in the rzx3 which I'm sure would be helpful running 4000lbs. I'm guessing a new rzx3 with 2-1 and the new plates (GSA?) would be a very interesting comparison.

Comparing the rest of the boat to my '17....
    It pulled out of the water cleaner, harder and straighter. once underway it felt amazingly nimble. I would say the rzx3 feels like driving a Suburban and the 23ZX felt like a an M5. There really is that much difference. It just drives great. Both boats have the same motor but I guess the transmission is that much better / effective. The23ZX leaps out of the water compared to my rzx3. I don't know why but it feels lighter and crisper while turning at speed but not giving up stability. The ZX did feel like it was working a little harder on top end speed. There is considerable more bow rise while under surf loads but you don't get the funky stinkbug feeling the rzx3 has under deceleration or during taxi speeds. I didn't spend much time behind the wheel at low speeds but my initial feeling was better tracking in that regime. The RZX3 always feels like it's pushing and drifting.
    Oh but the storage. You just can't beat an rzx3 for that. It would be an adjustment on the 23ZX. It is not bad but the rzx3 is ridiculous. Using car analogies again, it feels like going from a Suburban to a Tahoe. You know you don't need that much room most of the time but then one day a buddy wants you to help him move his couch......hmmmm. And I really appreciate the finished forward holds in the rzx3. It really gives a premium feel. The 23ZX is back to carpet under the seats up front. I know it's fine but a bit of a bummer.

Overall, I would say there are a few big improvements (GSA, hull maybe, transmission, TAPS software,) but there seems to be a multitude a small improvements that add up to a very big difference. Many of them alone may not seem like much but together they are significant. What I can't say is whether some of those same improvements would benefit the rzx3 as much. I am sure of this, either boat would be awesome. I really like my rzx3 but I would be really stoked to have a 23ZX.

Ride On!!

Excellent wright up. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I would also be stoked to have a new 23ZX and a shop to put it in! Nice review man, I can’t wait to get behind one!

Comment

Never have heard an RZX touted as a storage monster before.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like a beautiful boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

I have never ran out of storage space in ours.

Comment

Without PnP, I’d absolutely say it’s a storage monster.. we regularly take 12-16 in our crew, have a bunch of stuff on the boat, plus everyone else’s garbage, and have storage to spare. You put PnP in the back, story changes significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I feel like you need to test the RZX with the 2:1, PnP or lead, and GSA for a fair comparison. That being said thank you for the write up, you have some really solid points in there. I’d be curious what you think of an apples to apples comparison, because I don’t think I’d pick a boat out of Tige’s lineup over the RZX, and I’ll pick my boat apart, all day every day.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am considering the 23ZX.

With that said, No pictures = It didn't happen.
                "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

[QUOTE=Zackdogg;810131]Without PnP, I’d absolutely say it’s a storage monster.. we regularly take 12-16 in our crew, have a bunch of stuff on the boat, plus everyone else’s garbage, and have storage to spare. You put PnP in the back, story changes significantly.

Zackdogg,
                  I too would love to do a side by side comparo. Especially with the 2020 rzx line able to be optioned out with less expensive but non-performance critical equipment. I don't know when the 2020 rzx's start shipping. That being said, I have been spoiled by Tige's excellent interiors and finish out. I would say as good or better than any other manufacturer. I went to the Dallas show last week and other than Nautique the others were pretty unimpressive. But who thinks the Nautique backend is at all useful. Unfortunately, I love the feel of the premium stuff. My brother had a 22v years ago (my first wake boat I took over) and when he saw the rzx the first time he was amazed. He just stared at it and said he could not believe how far they had progressed with the fit, finish and quality. So, some of my curiosity is how it/I would feel dropping those premium features. I'm sure it will still feel high quality as it will be like other Tige lines now which quite frankly are pretty nice. Even the non powered tower (can't remember the name) is a nice looking functional looking tower. Tige says the ZX line will be the premier line but just because you say the rzx line is NOT the premium line doesn't mean it isn't a premium boat. For instance, in a few other manufactures the rzx style IS the premium lineup. The 23ZX is a wonderful boat no doubt but as a Tige enthusiast I am very happy to see the company pushing the envelope (e.g. ATX) and improving the boats while offering good choices and options. Considering the lineup for 2020, you really can't go wrong. Lots of awesome boats and price ranges. A boat like the rzx3 with more affordable options but still having the performance stuff is very tough competition for any other boat, with any other name on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
                    I feel like you need to test the RZX with the 2:1, PnP or lead, and GSA for a fair comparison. That being said thank you for the write up, you have some really solid points in there. I’d be curious what you think of an apples to apples comparison, because I don’t think I’d pick a boat out of Tige’s lineup over the RZX, and I’ll pick my boat apart, all day every day.

25zx/23ZX unless you are a diehard wakeboarder. Those 2 new hulls bomb. And are massive in terms of storage.
                    Germaine Marine
                    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

[QUOTE=ajbpilot;810135]
                      Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
                      Without PnP, I’d absolutely say it’s a storage monster.. we regularly take 12-16 in our crew, have a bunch of stuff on the boat, plus everyone else’s garbage, and have storage to spare. You put PnP in the back, story changes significantly.

Zackdogg,
                      I too would love to do a side by side comparo. Especially with the 2020 rzx line able to be optioned out with less expensive but non-performance critical equipment. I don't know when the 2020 rzx's start shipping. That being said, I have been spoiled by Tige's excellent interiors and finish out. I would say as good or better than any other manufacturer. I went to the Dallas show last week and other than Nautique the others were pretty unimpressive. But who thinks the Nautique backend is at all useful. Unfortunately, I love the feel of the premium stuff. My brother had a 22v years ago (my first wake boat I took over) and when he saw the rzx the first time he was amazed. He just stared at it and said he could not believe how far they had progressed with the fit, finish and quality. So, some of my curiosity is how it/I would feel dropping those premium features. I'm sure it will still feel high quality as it will be like other Tige lines now which quite frankly are pretty nice. Even the non powered tower (can't remember the name) is a nice looking functional looking tower. Tige says the ZX line will be the premier line but just because you say the rzx line is NOT the premium line doesn't mean it isn't a premium boat. For instance, in a few other manufactures the rzx style IS the premium lineup. The 23ZX is a wonderful boat no doubt but as a Tige enthusiast I am very happy to see the company pushing the envelope (e.g. ATX) and improving the boats while offering good choices and options. Considering the lineup for 2020, you really can't go wrong. Lots of awesome boats and price ranges. A boat like the rzx3 with more affordable options but still having the performance stuff is very tough competition for any other boat, with any other name on it.
                      Have a 23rzx here that has a standard tower, 400 motor and at the price point it’s untouchable....
                      Germaine Marine
                      "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Originally posted by Booms View Post
                        Thanks for the info. I am considering the 23ZX.

With that said, No pictures = It didn't happen.
                        23ZX_3.jpg copy.jpg

Comment

And if you make fun of me being on a Happy Pill....

Comment

[QUOTE=elevatedconcept;810137]
                            Originally posted by ajbpilot View Post

Have a 23rzx here that has a standard tower, 400 motor and at the price point it’s untouchable....
                            I have the 440 in my 2017.... how do you think the 400 will do with the extra weight of the rzx and will the fuel burn go up or down with the smaller motor pushing the same weights surfing?

and how do you guys get the quote box around the prior post???

Comment

and how do you guys get the quote box around the prior post???

never mind ... I see says the blind man.

Comment

Working...
                              X