Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic Limp Mode

Hi,

My boat is continuously going into Limp Mode. After reading the 4000 threads about this issue, I know it's most likely my Potentiometer causing me grief. My question is, once I recalibrate or replace the potentiometer, will I require the dealer to clear the codes on my ECM in order to completely rid myself of the error code 81?

Thanks,

Gratrix14

It’d help to post the boat model and year that you have. I assume you’ve got some version of Tige touch.

Comment

J, in my experience, no need to have dealer clear the code.

Comment

Jetdriver, it’s a 2006 22ve.

Comment

nothing needs to be cleared to get back to normal once the fault has been resolved.

Comment

Code will clear once repaired.
            Oh Yeah!

Comment

After using this boat for a week as is, the only time it goes into limp mode is after ~1 hour ish of surfing with 2000lbs of ballast on board. We pulled a pile of kids on the tube for about 3 hours and it didn't do it once. Any other suggestions?

Comment

Did you end up replacing the pot?

Comment

I’m dealing with the same issue on my 07’ 22VE. I was gonna recalibrate the potentiometer on the throttle but I’m pretty sure my issue is caused by ECM parameters being too tight when I’m loaded up with ballast. When my boat does it all I need to do is turn it off (clears the ECM) and back on and it works fine.
                  I’ve been trying to get my ECM sent into marine power to reflash it but apparently Eddie is the only one that can do it and he’s been out of the office and is less than responsive to emails. Hopefully I can get it resolved before I go to Powell in mid Sept.
                  I’m pretty sure the 06’ is a different variant of the computer so I’m not sure if a reflash will work on your boat. I’d say it’s at least worth a call to Marine Power to see if Eddie can help you out.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Sounds like we are having similar issues.

Boone, no, we didn't replace the pot yet. The replacement didn't make it in time before we left for holidays. We pulled the console apart to look at the pot we had but it doesn't seem like it's that easy to replace? Looked like a bunch of rivets instead of screws holding everything together. I'll have to take another look.

Comment

I got a call back from Marine Power and they have reflashed my ECU to the tune of $200.
                      I had heard some say they got it done free and some said $100. Apparently prices have gone up. I kinda got the feeling they just charge whatever they feel like at the time. Oh well, B.O.A.T....

Comment

Working...
                      X