2003 21i no power to ignition circuit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 21i no power to ignition circuit

I have a 2001 21i with a 350 MPI engine. I lost all power to the gauges and key/horn etc. but do have power to the toggle switches. At the engine I have power to the starter but no power at the 50 amp breaker or the solenoid behind the breaker (I had the solenoid replaced about a month ago while in the shop and just replaced the breaker because it was corroded).

I connected both wires to one side of the neutral safety switch, battery is charged, have power to the starter and can force the engine to turn over by crossing from the main power connection to the small yellow/red wire on the solenoid (solenoid on the starter). I also swapped the two relays mounted on the top of the engine to see if that changed anything.

I do not have power at the yellow/red wire that is also attached to the solenoid (one on the starter)....should I? Not sure if that is the issue or if that is a symptom...Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by atxbrm1968; 07-25-2019, 08:02 PM.

Possibly the fuse that's mounted to starter B+ post. Big white cube. Check for voltage at the top of and bottom of the fuse. Top of the fuse is helm power

Comment

Thanks....will check that tomorrow.

Should I have 12v at the red/yellow wire on the starter solenoid? I have power at the large battery cable but nothing at the red/yellow wire.

again....appreciate the direction.

Comment

Red and yellow should only have power with key in cranking position.

Comment

Thanks....no power at starter red and yellow wire with key on (I don't have power at the ignition switch either).

When you say cranking....all the way to the right as if starting as opposed to in the run position. If that is the definition then I didn't test it that way.

Electrical issues are so much fun....
          Last edited by atxbrm1968; 07-25-2019, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Really appreciate all the help.....replaced the 90 amp fuse at the starter and it fired up!

Comment

Working...
            X