R21 vs R23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R21 vs R23

Went out on a buddies R23 this past weekend and it was great. Really like the boat. How does an R21 compare to the 23? Does the 21 feel small compared to the 23?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a word, yes... A 21' boat will always feel smaller. We can fit a family of 4 nicely in our Z1. Couple more kids, no problem, you start adding more adults and it starts to feel a little tight. NG572

Comment

my .02. we ran across a steal on a '17 leftover r21 last fall here in vegas from the dealer that lost/gave up tige. we climbed all over it. we then went to look at a used z3 and the difference in the interiors was night and day. the r21 felt narrower inside even though its the same width in the hulls. the z3 felt a lot larger. don't know if there's any real difference in interior layouts of the z3 and r23 but after spending an hour sitting in the r21 it was just plain too small feeling. my buddies mondo at 20.5ft and narrower hull FELT wider-more spacious inside than the r21.

for us the happy medium was our old 22ve and really searched for an r22 but nothing surfaced. anxious to see real world pricing and crawl all over an atx to see how it feels as rumors are a 22ft. for us the z3 is really too much boat as we never have a crew that large but it sure does surf well.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

When I was looking last year, I determine that most of the 2ft difference was in the main cabin area and the bow was about the same.

Comment

R21 vs R23

Thanks for the replies. You all confirmed what I sort of thought. We had 11 people on the r23 (6 adults and 5 kids) and it had plenty of space. I really like the wider bow of the R22 so maybe it would be the perfect size. Any of you had an experience on a r22? Wonder how it surfs compared the the r23.

I should note I’m coming from a Yamaha 242 which is 24.5’ including the rear swim platform. The cockpit area of them are not that big, especially since it had dual captains chairs.

Last edited by 242Boater; 07-23-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

I would say the z3/r23 hull surfs better than my old 22ve which is the same as the rz2 or r22 wetted surface area(so I was told anyway) however I didn't have taps3 on my 22ve. new technology with taps3 should put the r22 in a good light with the r23. I think coming from a yammy any of them will be night and day and I'd be happy with either a r22 or 23.

knowing the r22 is dead if you are looking new might be worth waiting until atx comes out and see how the new boat looks. I'm not typically a fan of first year models BUT since the atx is coming off a tige line your issues with a new line should be minimized.
            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

R21 vs R23

Originally posted by sandm View Post
              I would say the z3/r23 hull surfs better than my old 22ve which is the same as the rz2 or r22 wetted surface area(so I was told anyway) however I didn't have taps3 on my 22ve. new technology with taps3 should put the r22 in a good light with the r23. I think coming from a yammy any of them will be night and day and I'd be happy with either a r22 or 23.

knowing the r22 is dead if you are looking new might be worth waiting until atx comes out and see how the new boat looks. I'm not typically a fan of first year models BUT since the atx is coming off a tige line your issues with a new line should be minimized.
              Good points. Deff going to see what the ATX boats are about. I’m not buying anything until January or February unless I run across a deal. I sold my Yamaha back before summer and have made it this far boatless so I’m OK with waiting.

Comment

We just purchased a 2019 R21. The size is perfect for us. It's usually Me and the little lady and 3 or 4 additional adults. Plenty of room for all the people and gear. We wanted a happy medium for a newer surf boat and something that could still ski decently. For half a second we considered the R23 but after getting in a checking it out it was too big for us at the moment, as far as use, towing and storage goes. Not to say I'm sure it will become an option at some point in the future but for us the 21 is perfect!

Comment

My advice after owning a couple wake boats is go as large as your garage, wallet and tow vehicle can handle!

Comment

This year we upgraded to a 2019 R21 from a 20' bowrider and it immediately felt huge.
                    Most of the time were are a family of 4 (boys 6,9), yet often are two 'young' families (4adult + 4 kids) which is still realistically very comfortable. I think 7 adults would be a limit.
                    We have found that storage becomes an issue because generally the two rear lockers are full of ballast.

As my boys (and their friends) grow we will likely be looking at a 23' boat.... perfect timing for me to justify an upgrade.

Otherwise I love the size of the smaller boat for towing and garage storage, and have no issues with the wave.

Comment

Working...
                    X