Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCM 40a transmission issues

Hi guys,

Apologies in advance, this is an issues on our 05 Nautique 196, but you were so helpful on what I posted the other week on issues with our 22i, at this point I value you experience as much as the local repair shop.

Anyway, the presenting issue is that on Saturday we were running water sports (here at family camp) and had been pulling for over an hour, and it was one of the hottest days of the year (the 98 feels like 110 day)

The driver reported to me that when he tried to put the boat in forward, the engine would rev but prop would not engage. He said it smelled like antifreeze, though he realizes there is none, and when he popped the cover, there was smoke/steam coming from the transmission. Since then, when the boat is "cold" it works as it should forward and reverse (though maybe a little whiny - not sure, I dont usually listen to the engine/trans sing without the cover on) but once it heats up, it won't engage forward.

The back story is that in the offseason when the shop was doing winterization and servicing trans, they said there was water in the trans, because the cooler had failed. So they replaced that, and I did the impeller this spring. Raw water is flowing well, though there was a decent amount of weeds in the cannister on Sat at that time. Also, we had an oil leak at the end of June, which was a rusted oil pan and that had been replaced as well. So the engine was out of the boat, recent alignment and all that stuff.

When I picked the boat up after they did the trans cooler, they said that instead of flushing the trans like 5 x to get all the water gone, that it would steam or boil off while we were running it. I am not sure if that is what was happening on Saturday or what. But I don't know if I just have an issue of degraded fluid, or if my pump is going bad, or some other more serious issue. I took a picture of the fluid, and you can see it is more grey/dirty, and not red/pink. I can't tell if there are particles in it - if there are they are very fine. trans fluid.jpg

Any of you guys have experience with a similar situation? Ideas on what other things I should check? Would the trans cooler get "blocked"? How would I check it? (AFAIK, no idiot lights or alarms went off during any of this, no limp mode etc)

Should I just change out the transmission fluid with new, and see if that solves it? Everything else from there seems like a mechanical fix, and probably big $

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide!

Definitely not good looking ATF. Should be all red, yours looks way too clear and water affected. Almost looks like 30W mixed with tranny fluid which would be way wrong.... Sounds like the pump is work but the clutch packs are slipping. When it starts to get hot and you ease it into gear at idle does it go into gear at idle at all?? Does it slip after you add power?? If so its fwd clutch pack for sure. Keep us posted.

Comment

ok so yesterday we pumped out the trans fluid and it was UGLY... all grey and nasty. Put two quarts new in and ran it for awhile. Performance was much better, though once it was good and heated up it was sluggish when going from neutral to forward. Then if you add throttle is locks up and goes. We are going to repeat the flush and add process today and see what the fluid looks like.
      Question: if it is not just a fluid issue, and we have worn the clutch packs out, is there an additive that would help fluid not thin out once warm, and get more life out of existing set up for this season? Lucas Stops Slip has been a suggestion...

Comment

Working...
      X