Double Towing / Triple Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Towing / Triple Towing

Depends on what your definition is but I just wanted to share this weekends recent endeavor.
    I had always planned to perform the double tow and I know there are some threads out there describing pros and cons, as well as hazards and safety issues. Here in Mississippi the law simply states that no trailer in the configuration shall be longer than 30 feet. I’ve got to admit, I was pushing my pick ups combined gross vehicle weight however, she didn’t feel very heavy pulling and since the fifth wheel has electric brakes and the boat has surge, I felt I had adequate stopping power. I just wanted to post some pictures. By my guesstimation I was sitting at 22,000 pounds and 76 feet long.
    268F5523-E9C5-4CFB-A890-391DEB242BB4.jpg46F5DFE8-6260-420A-A908-5A5A16024530.jpgB1D8DD03-0EE7-44FE-93EC-E48E89D84858.jpg
    Attached Files
    2010 Tige RZ2 "Fully Loaded" 650hrs
    Surf Ballast & Enzo Bag - 1235 prop

Originally posted by jtryon
    what would you do if you had to back up?
    Don't

LOL

Comment

sure you did but homework on each state is important with this. would suck to get pulled over in one of them and have to leave something behind.
      76ft is not allowed in a lot of states(65ft limit for some out west and double towing illegal in 2 states) but the discussion will come up with whether that includes the swimdeck or not.
      had some friends in idaho that did this same setup with a van/camp trailer and sanger boat and researching where they were going helped avoid issues and cancel trips to a couple of the states they wanted to visit.

that truck's ratings I would bet would be the least of the issues towing that setup first few miles would have a high pucker factor if it was me
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Nice. I’d have a go.

I’ve got a truck camper now and it’s just too small for a family of four. I’d really like to find a small 5th wheel and tow doubles.

sandm- Is NV 75’?
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

quick google search shows nevada at 70. interesting in that the company I used to work for on the commercial side hauled triple 28ft trailers around and idaho/oregon/nevada were the only states that permitted us to run that combo(if you've been in reno long you remember ShopKo back in the day- triples were all we hauled to reno/sparks and bend/eugene). all others were either double 45's or what they call a rocky mountain double- a 48/28 combo.
          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

What a set up!!!!! Love it. Forward only.

Comment

Was gonna say 70’ in Nevada, but Sandm beat me to it. Kirk is dragging that flatie out to the lake behind his camp trailer, and he’s like 66’-68’, or something, behind a duramax.. He’s pretty happy with his setup. If anyone knows where I can get like a 800#, 6’ long trailer, I’d give it a go. That damn boat is about all my truck wants to deal with.

And I totally remember ShopKo. Used to be my go-to for general crap, before Walmart ruined the planet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

don't feel bad zack. my chevy gasser doesn't want anything else but the boat behind it. I think the boat is def. the max that truck wants to pull. my old ford actually towed the boats a bit better but it was a heavy half ton and think most of the perceived better towing was in the rear end gearing. for as often as I tow I'll take the struggles off and on for the better gas mileage long term

and ya, walmart ruined the usa, amazon(or soon to change their name to Skynet) is ruining the world
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Sweet setup!! Just out of curiosity, what's the rear hitch bolted /welded to at the rear of the 5er??

I also cant help but see stuff like this and just get more mad at Boatmate for triples and now QUADS!! Hard to believe the 5er gets it done with only 2(hooray for 6 and lug axles) and is longer and heavier. Until people stop thinking its "cool" its unfortunately not going away. Drive me bonkers.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                    quick google search shows nevada at 70. interesting in that the company I used to work for on the commercial side hauled triple 28ft trailers around and idaho/oregon/nevada were the only states that permitted us to run that combo(if you've been in reno long you remember ShopKo back in the day- triples were all we hauled to reno/sparks and bend/eugene). all others were either double 45's or what they call a rocky mountain double- a 48/28 combo.
                    I used to be the dock manager for Oak Harbor Freight long, long ago. I also did all the hostling. Doubles, triples, Rocky Mountains, all that. Even had some success backing up doubles. Some guys were amazing at it.

ShopKo? How about Skaggs?

Comment

skaggs.. now that's a blast from the past. right there with grand central.

shopko used "C" dollies with dual hitch points on the lead trailer so backing was pretty easy as there was no turning with the dollie. now show me a guy backing with a conventional "A" dollie with a single center point and that's some serious skill..... especially in a freightliner cabover. yardhorse takes all the fun out of it.
                      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

So how do they measure 5th wheels? Is it just the base floor or does it include the upper bed area as well?

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post

and ya, walmart ruined the usa, amazon(or soon to change their name to Skynet) is ruining the world
                          I just watched Terminator the other day. Still a pretty good show. For those that haven't seen it, Skynet is the name of the computer system that decided it was better off without humans. I got a good laugh out of that, Sandm! Thanks.
                          Be excellent to one another.

Comment

tall,
                            you know that alexa's brother is named HAL9000.
                            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                              Sweet setup!! Just out of curiosity, what's the rear hitch bolted /welded to at the rear of the 5er??

I also cant help but see stuff like this and just get more mad at Boatmate for triples and now QUADS!! Hard to believe the 5er gets it done with only 2(hooray for 6 and lug axles) and is longer and heavier. Until people stop thinking its "cool" its unfortunately not going away. Drive me bonkers.
                              That's the first quad I have seen -- that is nuts. You've got to be grinding those tires off every time you do any turn in a parking lot, right? bump the axles up to 6lug/7.5k, they aren't really any more expensive, and you can still get your 22's for it if you must. If you really need to better balance the trailer, just make it a goose neck and be done with it.

And hats off to the OP -- I have a 5er that would keep me within the length limit, I'm just terrified of that much tongue weight on the 5er's hitch, it only has c channel framing instead of I beams down its length. (I'm around 670#)

Comment

Working...
                              X