Surfing behind the Z3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surfing behind the Z3

I recently purchased a 2013 Z3. Very impressed with the boat. Only thing I am having trouble with is creating a great surf wake. I purchased the Delta Mission to help create the better wake, but I haven't been able to get the surf wave I am looking for. I understand the Taps system and have been able to manipulate the wave some with that, but it still isn't great. I have also tried a few different setups on the Ballasts. Does anyone have any suggestions on creating a great wave?
    Last edited by 2014-Z3; 07-02-2019, 05:52 PM.

I have a mission that we have not had a chance to play with yet. I have a good surf-able wave listing the boat. factory hard tanks and upgraded chpthrl enzo style bags. I also add 500lbs of lead under the bag/seat on the surf side. we don't really ever have more than 3 or 4 on the boat so more human ballast can replace the lead.
    fill front, fill surf side and list the boat. speed at 11.6ish and taps between 3 and 4.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

should ask how deep is the waterway you are on. mead is well over 100ft in most areas so no worries but when I boated the fox river in wisconsin, as soon as you got out of the channel the depth dropped to 10-15ft and the wave pretty much disappeared.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Thanks. The mission does help some, but one thing that happened for us was the suction cups would occasionally come loose and if it hits the water just right it will swing up and inside the boat. If it would have hit someone it could have done damage so beware of that. Also, after less than 10 hours of use, the security cable broke, thankfully we found the Mission floating in the water.

Comment

We boat on Dale Hollow in Kentucky and then occasionally on the lake near my hometown. Depth not an issue

Comment

Does your boat have a Vx? If so can you post a picture of it?

Comment

Yes, it does. I dont have a picture of it but can get one later. Anything specific you are looking for?

Comment

Most likely need more ballast. Z3 likes it heavy

Comment

some of the original z3's had a bad set of brackets but 2014 should not be an issue. guessing that's what Johnnie is after?

and bsreid is right. if you are factory ballast upgrade will make it happen.
                  2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                  2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by sandm View Post
                    some of the original z3's had a bad set of brackets but 2014 should not be an issue. guessing that's what Johnnie is after?

and bsreid is right. if you are factory ballast upgrade will make it happen.
                    Ya, what he said. I doubt 2014 is an issue.

The pre-TAPS3 Z boats need a lot of rear weight, but more nose weight than the TAPS3 boats. TAPS3 creates downward force in the nose that our boats don't get and need to make up with ballast. You also want just a little bit of list.

Comment

Thanks all for the help. If anyone has the Delta Mission system and could provide insight on proper placement, I would greatly appreciate. I know most say to mount in the back 2-3 ft of the boat with the system half way in the water...anyone had much luck doing it this way?

Comment

Originally posted by 2014-Z3 View Post
                        We boat on Dale Hollow in Kentucky and then occasionally on the lake near my hometown. Depth not an issue
                        Where at in Dale Hollow? We go down there for a week and stay in Star Point. We LOVE that lake. In the past I had a 2017 white/gray R21...I was always on the lookout for other Tige's!

Comment

Sulphur Creek is where we drop in

Comment

We have a 15 with the AVX and started using the mission last season. We keep the paddle oriented toward the back of the boat. We use the chrome Tige logo for reference. On the port side we put the back cup in line with the “e”. On the starboard we put the front cup in line with the “e”.

We use the step in the hull as our vertical reference. We put it just below that ridge and on the same plane as the ridge. A bit of list (3 degrees) to the surf side and a bow rise between 7 and 9 and the wave is killer. We ride 11.2 to 11.4 depending on the rider’s preference.

We use rope and tie the mission to a bumper and put the bumper in the corner seat. That way when it comes off it doesn’t sling back and hit the boat. The bumper makes sure it floats and easier to see.

Comment

Here is a picture with a 120 pound adult and 35 pound kiddo. We do have the bigger MLA bags and 600 lbs of lead.

B619F091-1B06-498E-AADF-575D578FCAE2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X