New surf platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New surf platform

The goal here with the building of a new platform is to keep my stock platform intact and create a new one that will help the surf wave tremendously.
    I started a thread a few weeks ago about building a new swim platform out of HDPE or starboard. I did some research and from your opinions I decided to not go with the HDPE.
    I went a different route that I had seen a few others do on the other forums. I decided to use two sheets of 23/32 plywood glued and screwed together. From there I will epoxy it with a black tint in the epoxy and do a couple layers. This will make it black and seal the wood.
    So far I have the two pieces cut. I drew out the shape I wanted and screwed the two sheets of plywood together. Then I cut both sheets at the same time so they were lined up.
    Next step which will be done tonight is to glue the two pieces together then add more screws back into it from the bottom.
    After that I will sand it and clean up the edges. Do you guys think I should route the edges with a router or just sand the edges off slightly?
    Then I will roll on a few coats of the black tinted epoxy and finish it off by a fine sanding and add some gatorstep style pad to it then mount it up to the brackets. Has anyone found a good quality gatorstep style pad that was cheaper than the real gatorstep or seadek? I have looked around at a few but have seen mixed reviews on them.
    Here’s what I’ve got so far

The new one is about 4-5 inches narrower than the stock platform on each side
    Last edited by Chugh2o; 06-28-2019, 08:07 PM.

Nice start so far. If I was doing this project I would not have any angles. I think that look is outdated. I would round off all the corners so there were no points or edges. I think the router idea is great. Find a unique looking bit to give it something extra. I'm a big fan of the at home projects. Good work.

Comment

Thanks UNSTUCK, once it is glued together and the screws are in I will sand the corners and round them all off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm just glad to see i'm not the only one who uses old rugs for out in the garage
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

Looks good. I recommend Just a quick coat of paint before you use Your epoxy just to help with the color. Of corse try it on some scrap first.

Comment

Solid start! I’d use epoxy resin and fiberglass, if it were me. I’d be worried about the possibility of the epoxy chipping at some point, getting water in and effing the whole deal up. You’ll get significantly more strength, and protection out of fiberglassing it. I’m with unstuck, also, and ditch the angles. I’d also round over all the edges that aren’t against the boat with a router. FWIW

Keep us posted on the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by gumby View Post
              Looks good. I recommend Just a quick coat of paint before you use Your epoxy just to help with the color. Of corse try it on some scrap first.
              I might consider doing this but was not going to. I tried building a little homemade surfboard a few years back and painted under the last coat of epoxy and the epoxy cracked the paint and did not look good. Even with a high temp paint. If I decide on this I will test it on an extra piece first to see what it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
                Solid start! I’d use epoxy resin and fiberglass, if it were me. I’d be worried about the possibility of the epoxy chipping at some point, getting water in and effing the whole deal up. You’ll get significantly more strength, and protection out of fiberglassing it. I’m with unstuck, also, and ditch the angles. I’d also round over all the edges that aren’t against the boat with a router. FWIW

Keep us posted on the progress!

Thanks, I have been considering whether to use fiberglass or not. I knew it would give it much more strength although I’m not very good with using fiberglass and figured that the multiple coats of epoxy by itself would be simpler and turn out better for me. Any tips for using fiberglass? One sheet or 2 sheets of fiberglass?

Comment

That’s a pretty easy one to start practicing with.. I’d use a cloth, not chopped mat, and a lightweight cloth would be fine for that, as you shouldn’t have any structural issues with what you’re doing.. have everything pre cut to size, before you start. I’d give it a quick brushing with resin to make it sticky, stick everything in place using that then just wet it out real good over the surface.. you can get a fiberglass roller, or just use cheap throw away paint brushes. If you use an epoxy resin you can use slow so you have more working time. Make sure it’s mixed to the proper ratios, and mixed really well, you’ll see problems if you don’t mix it good enough. Scrape the sides and bottom of your container good. I always use a power mixer, but you can get away with a stick. Don’t mix more than you can manage at a time. Probably a pint at a time to start. And work it until it’s either perfect or dry. You’ll get it, it just takes a little practice. Good thing about fiberglass is you can always fix it with sanding, body filler, or more fiberglass.

Comment

Not an original idea here at all, but have seen where a guy used 3/8 steel and powder coated and put Gatorstep/seadeck on it when he was done. Free ballast!

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                      Not an original idea here at all, but have seen where a guy used 3/8 steel and powder coated and put Gatorstep/seadeck on it when he was done. Free ballast!
                      I have thought of these options with steel, aluminum, HDPE, etc. and it would end up being way more expensive because there aren’t many places near me that I can get the material from therefore it would need to be shipped which was a lot.

Comment

New surf platform

Just got the two pieces of plywood glued and screwed together. Next step will be to sand and round all corners then route the edges and prep for epoxy.
                        What do you think about using something like this on just the edges

I was thinking that the edges would take most of the beating from boards and people. And since we will have a pad on the top most of that won’t be showing and the edges will be the only thing showing. This could be used to reinforce the edges and strengthen it where it is most likely to get chipped or cracked. Let me know what you guys think?
                        The one thing I’m worried about with using fiberglass is the edges where the platform curves and being able to wrap it around and keeping it looking good and flat.

Last edited by Chugh2o; 06-29-2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

That tape will definitely work good for the edges.

My fear with not using fiber on the whole thing would be a crack seeping water in, expanding the plywood, and causing the resin to crack and pop.. That stuff is super pliable when it’s soaked in resin, you shouldn’t have any issues getting it to lay down flat, and if there are any imperfections, you should be able to sand them out without much effort. If you aren’t going to use fiber, you might be better off using something more flexible like a bed liner product, or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
                            That tape will definitely work good for the edges.

My fear with not using fiber on the whole thing would be a crack seeping water in, expanding the plywood, and causing the resin to crack and pop.. That stuff is super pliable when it’s soaked in resin, you shouldn’t have any issues getting it to lay down flat, and if there are any imperfections, you should be able to sand them out without much effort. If you aren’t going to use fiber, you might be better off using something more flexible like a bed liner product, or something.

Thanks Zack, I have decided to use fiberglass under the epoxy. I will be going to west marine to grab some soon so I can start working on it.
                            I have few questions when laying the fiberglass...
                            Do I need to fold the cloth over the edges from the top and bottom pieces or should I do the edges separate from the top and bottom of the platform with the fiber tape strips? What would you recommend or which would be better?

Comment

I think that’s the right call, if you want it to hold up.

You could go about it a couple of different ways.. I would probably do the edges first, with the tape, let them dry, then cut a single piece to cover the whole bottom, glass it up, let it dry, then do the bottom, the same way..

The edges are going to be the toughest part, so maybe you want to get your practice in by starting with the bottom, for that reason. Only reason I say do the edges first, is you can bury any imperfections with the whole piece top and bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X