2019 R23 Fuel gauge question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.iboats.com/shop/seachoic...%2027%20inches

^^If anyone wants to get brave and try one of these Ive had good luck with them. Ive never put them on something that uses the Murphy screen as the gauge but its all just ohms readings translated to percentages. You can trim these suckers to whatever length you need so in theory if you did it right 0 should be the bottom of the tank. If you want to try it be sure to not fill up on the way home

Comment

Just need to make sure that the ohms values are the same as the sender in the tank now. I know in the automotive world every manufacturer has a different ohm reverence for the sweep between full and empty.

Having said that, I think the tube style senders are a bit better at keeping the gauge reading more stable. A float sender will be all over the place as the fuel sloshes around inside the tank. I think we all just need to get more familiar with our boats and probably look more at hours used vs the gauge. Having a good idea of fuel burn rate will be the best gauge you can have. For us, we can't burn a tank in a day and we fill up at the start of each outing. So it's not an issue.

Comment

Sorry I am so late to the party. Its always been an unspoken rule to show 0 when at 10% or so. Keeps people from being stranded at the lake. I would rather hear one person comment on forums about how it stays on zero for a long period of time than a whole group of people on the forum upset they were stranded in the middle of the lake over the weekend. Accuracy is much better than it used to be back in the 90s-2000s. The biggest hurdle is the boat is rarely level in X and Y. Both axes are constantly pivoting depending on list (yaw) and when off plane (pitch). A car is pretty level majority of the time and has a heavy delay in the gauge reading so that going up and down mountain roads, it isn't as noticeable.
        Oh Yeah!

Comment

I run to 0-12% all the time and have filled to 100% with 35 gallons at the most. (2018 R23)

That's about a 25% inaccuracy rate. I'd rather have it be accurate than intentionally making it wrong because someone thinks I'm too dumb to self manage.

Comment

I wonder what's more likely, Someone cusses Tige for knowing they have more fuel in the tank than what the gauge says, and ends up running out and being left stranded in the middle of the lake. OR, someone cusses Tige for installing a dead accurate fuel gauge and running out of fuel and being left stranded in the middle of the lake.

Comment

I'll take the inaccurate gauge. I would think there's different schools of thought whether you trailer to the lake and fill up each time like us or you moor it at a dock and have to schlep gas to the boat in cans.
              in cans I'd like it dead accurate. trailering, doesn't much matter.

unstuck is right tho. it's a no-win for any boat builder.
              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
              X