Tow with Power Tower Up or Down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tow with Power Tower Up or Down?

We’re taking our 17 Z3 on its maiden voyage to Powell this week. Those with the Power Tower, do you tow up or down? I usually like to tow with a cover on but my boats have always had snap covers. This has the factory cover made for the tower to be up. It also is not felt lined around the rub rails like some manufacturers offer. So, if I tow tower down I’m towing with no cover. Tower up I’d probably leave the cover on, although I’m worried about rubbing the gel coat.

I've got a 2018 Z3. I was told by my dealer to tow it with the tower up. Didn't give me a reason, other than they didn't think it was "made" to tow with the tower down.

Comment

Ok cool that solves it. Towing up. Thanks friend.

Comment

Lol. I had texted the previous owner earlier today. He just back to me and said the dealer said to tow with it down. ��

Comment

Tow with it down. That was way you don’t get bugs.

Comment

We've towed thousands of miles with the tower down, although with the coverall-cover on our RZX3's. The only issue I see if towing coverless and tower down, is the bimini boot may catch wind in an awkward angle.

Im pro towing with it covered, even if it leaves a few impurities in the gel (they can be polished out with ease).
            -Brandon Lucas
            Houston, Tx

Comment

I understand that the E2 tower is designed to be trailered either way, however I'm thinking the tower might only be towed in the down position when you have the over-tower cover. This cover comes with a bimini support pole that is the right length to support the bimini in the tower down position. I'm not sure if the support pole is required, or that you couldn't tow with the tower down and the bimini unsupported, but it is mentioned in the owners manual for the 2019 boats. It's possible that the bimini just might require support due to the stress of the cover pulling down on the tower, etc when covered in the down position.

All that being said a bimini support pole isnt going to strengthen the tower in the down position.. The bimini would bend before it would offer any support for the tower.

Just looking at the tige site, it shows towing in tower down position.

https://tige.com/features/protect-all-boat-cover

I'd be great if we could get an official answer from Tige on this one though.. I'd consider towing uncovered with the tower down if its ok just for a bit less wind resistance on the freeway, and a few less bugs to clean off of the tower.

Comment

Thanks for the insights everyone. I’m going tower down and will report back any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Utemachine View Post
                  Thanks for the insights everyone. I’m going tower down and will report back any issues.
                  I have an RZX3 and I tow with tower down most of the time with coverall on or if the boat interior is still fairly wet coming off the lake I’ll tow with tower down and no cover. Never had an issue and I’ve pulled the boat over 1500 miles this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am now a fan of towing with it down as we had no issues at all. Now I just need to have a new cover made.

Comment

David or ute - do you have any type of support under the bimini with the tower down, or have you not found that to be any issue?

Comment

I do not have a support and and did not see that one would be needed.

Comment

Working...
                        X