Vibration in Rough Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration in Rough Water

I just bought a 2008 Tige RZ2. Everything works great, but this past weekend driving the boat at speed (30 mph) in Rough water, seemed like the boat had cavitation or a vibration. In smooth or semi-smooth water, it ran perfect. Thoughts??

How rough are we talking that you were still doing 30mph?

I know if I ripping along in like a 4"-6" ripple the short little waves can make the bottom of the boat feel like it has a vibration. Easiest way to tell is to turn and go along the trough to see if it still happens.

Comment

Waves were 1-2 ft.

Comment

It was cavitating. As the entire boat was leaving the water after jumping a wave, the prop was pushing nothing but air.

Comment

I've seen rudders oscillate at higher speeds and rough water like that. Just another possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
            It was cavitating. As the entire boat was leaving the water after jumping a wave, the prop was pushing nothing but air.
            If the prop were truly in air, it can't have been cavitating. Cavitation is the creation and collapse of micro air bubbles due to pressure drop at the surface of the prop while in water. No water = no cavitation.

EDIT: I suppose if the hull were entirely airborne such that the prop were clear of the water, the unloaded prop could then spin up and when it resubmerges it could cavitate for a brief moment. But if the hull really were going fully airborne, I doubt the operator's first concern would be "vibrations". {grin}

Comment

I didnt want to say it, but if it was a legit 1-2' and cruising 30 pretty much any 22ft is going to "vibrate"

Comment

The hull was not leaving the water. The rough water was created by wind and chop from other boats.

Comment

Working...
                X