Alternator woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator woes

She purred like a kitten yesterday - except the volt gauge was reading from 11-12.5 based on RPM.

I am hoping it isn't the alternator and the gauge that is having an issue. I did not have my multi meter with me so I have to check the batteries and alternator voltage when I can.

That said, we are headed to the lake in two weeks and just in case I have to get and install an alternator, can someone please help identify and locate a replacement?

I have an '04 22i with a MP 335HP vortec 5.7.

Marineenginedepot.com

^^That is Marine Powers parts site. You will find it there. If dont think you see the right one just call their contact # . Super great folks and they will get you squared away.

Comment

Thanks. I found THIS part. I will contact them tomorrow to see if this is a replacement for my 70A current unit.

I went to test the alternator tonight, but the rain came. I was surprised to see that the wire from the alternator is only 12 or 14 gauge.

Comment

That output is certainly battery level, so either the gauge is not seeing true alternator output due to some voltage drop somewhere, or the alt is indeed not putting out. It can either way for sure! Connections get poor over time and then the helm no longer sees good voltage, so the gauge shows low.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Tested the alternator and I think it is working.

Started the engine and touched the red lead to the alternator screw and the black to the block and it measured 13.9. Got the same reading touching the red lead to the alternator and the black to the (-) post of the battery. Volt gauge was only reading 11.9. Battery is reading 13.4.

What should an alternator read with the engine on?

Comment

Alternator is definitely charging. Id start at the back of the gauge and work back until you find the source/spot of the voltage drop. Already a loss of .5V from alt to battery, so thats not good.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks Mike. I will have to dig into it between work and the rain drops!

Comment

Working...
              X