Another limp mode thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another limp mode thread

I have the familiar limp mode issue with my 06 24V that I have read about on here (Throttle pot issue) (alarm and limp mode while surfing: turn boat off and clears alarm). I am waiting to get in next week to get the codes read, but until then I wanted to ask if this issue occurs at only certain throttle positions? I can run my boat without ballast down the lake all day at 3000-3800 rpm (cruise at 3400 ish most of the time) and never once goes into limp mode. But when loaded with ballast and surfing (2900 rpms most of the time) on cruise seems to be the trigger, but takes few minutes to trigger and doesn't trigger every time. So could this be another issue that has to do with engine load vs. rpms? The only other time I saw the limp mode last week (except for surfing) was pulling a tube, being aggressive with throttle.
    Just wondering if this accurately describes the throttle pot issue symptoms?

I had the same issue on my 2007 RZ2, do you have the Marine Power engine? I was told it had to do with the load vs speed settings and when heavily weighted for surfing and using cruise that the engine sometimes shuts down due to the excessive load. Another member on here sent his ECM to Marine Power and had them reflash it and he said he had no problems last summer. I sent mine in and had the reflash done in March, they charged me $150, due the awful weather we have had here in Utah I have only been out one time this year but I never went into limp mode (usually it would happen about once or twice a day). I can tell a difference when using cruise though, when I engage the throttle it took much longer to get up to speed, almost like the engine was easing into the speed and not wanting to get the RPM's up too quickly, I'm planning on going out this weekend and hoping to never go into limp mode, if so I'll report back to you with hopefully good news that the reflash solved the problem.
    Last edited by culrich77; 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have the MP engine. What was your turn around time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you are MEFI 4 reflash won’t fix. 2006 was first year by-wire so you are likely MEFI 4. PM me your email address and I will send you a couple of things.

Comment

Thanks. Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by jackfly View Post
            Thanks for the reply. Yes I have the MP engine. What was your turn around time?

It was 2 weeks.....and I was at the lake Saturday and Sunday and had no problems!! So I'm not sure why Boonecragun said it wouldn't work (Boone any insight here?) but so far so good, surfed all day Sunday and my boat never died. Used the same set up as last year and just to test it out even more I had 3 people sitting on the swim deck and it still never went limp.

Comment

Originally posted by culrich77 View Post
              It was 2 weeks.....and I was at the lake Saturday and Sunday and had no problems!! So I'm not sure why Boonecragun said it wouldn't work (Boone any insight here?) but so far so good, surfed all day Sunday and my boat never died. Used the same set up as last year and just to test it out even more I had 3 people sitting on the swim deck and it still never went limp.
              Haven’t heard from Boone yet. How do I determine which MEFI I have?

Great to hear you’re problem free

Comment

Originally posted by jackfly View Post
                Haven’t heard from Boone yet. How do I determine which MEFI I have?

Great to hear you’re problem free

I have no clue, but the other guy with the Marine Power engine in his 2007 had no problems either, so it may be worth it, honestly I dealt with the limp mode issue for 4 years and it was SO annoying!! I'm hoping it keeps on working, I'm going again tomorrow and will try to throw even more weight and see what happens.

Comment

2007 is mefi5. Could be an overloading issue (i think is what they called it) which I believe there was a reflash that can be done. Also check your oil level. The pot would be an issue if you were touching/changing the throttle when its happens.
                  Oh Yeah!

Comment

Just wanted to report back on the limp mode for anyone with the Marine Power engine that has stalling issues, over the winter I sent in the ECM to Marine Power and they did a reflash with updated settings for speed vs load. I have used my boat heavily over the last few weeks with a loaded crew, full ballasts and a 1000 pounds of lead and it has not stalled at once, so freakin' happy about this and if anyone is having this problem I highly suggest sending the ECM to Marine Power and the problem will go away!

Comment

Hello, so I'm completely new to this site.I have a 2007 24VE and had a mechanic look at my boat after basically this same thing ( going into limp mode) and he said it seems to be the Pedal Position Sensor. I called the local dealer in MN and they don't work on PCM engines as they just became a dealer and Tige' has a new engine. I talked to another dealer in Iowa and they couldn't get one of these either. Does anyone know where I could get a new PPS unit as well as the wire harness in the throttle?

Comment

Bueller on the PPS sensor as well, the part number I found on my 5 pin does not come up with much on google

Comment

PPs sensor:
                          https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...EDRmi%252bM%3D

Comment

Thank you,
                            After some searching last night turns out the whole number on the sensor doesn't mean much, justbthe first 4 are the most important. I went ahead and just adjusted the voltage and will see if that helps.

Comment

Hello Again,

So I had a some reach out and help me find the new PPS sensor. Thank you very much. I ordered it through Mouser but they are unsure of the wire harness that goes from the PPS Unit to the main wire harness. Would anyone know where or how to try and track that down. It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help!

Comment

Working...
                              X