Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GatorStep Bubble. Anyone else have this problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GatorStep Bubble. Anyone else have this problem?

Yesterday we were getting ready to head to the lake and I noticed this on our swim deck.
    We have had our 18 R23 for a year in one month.
    Anyone else have this happen to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use a needle to puncture it at the edge where the black meets the grey so it hides the tiny hole. It's an off gassing of the adhesive causing the issue.
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

SO my 18 RZX3 had the same thing happen last summer, from your picture it looks like the exact same spot. Also, last summer my surf locker lid had a bubble form towards the end of the summer. My dealer fixed both issues under warranty over the winter. Within two weeks of the boat being outside on a rack, both bubbles have come back worse. Working with dealer to figure out the fix. I am pushing for having the surf locker lid replaced with a 19, not sure what to do about the swim platform, except maybe ask for a new one from the factory. I will post up the resolution.

Comment

A needle and 30 seconds and you should be fine.
        Just make sure it's dry when you do it so the adhesive will re-adhere.

Comment

A turkey injection needle is what we used on my buddies. We left the needle in and worked our way to it. Dry is key I would think.
          (Edit)Then took it out. I wouldn't want you to think there was a boat running around with a turkey injector hanging out of it.
          Last edited by gumby; 06-12-2019, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Monesty, If it wont re-adhere the Gatorstep just needs pulled up and a new piece put down. Its not a difficult job, just monkey work

Comment

Well I got all of the gas/air out but it won’t re-adhere. Looks like I’ll have to call my dealer and see if they will warranty it. It’s alright though, my water temp sensor isn’t working either, so I’ll have them check that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Freeheel4life, Dealer put down new gatorstep over the winter. Lasted two weeks before it pulled up again. My dealer was told that the spot it comes up is left over from the molding process. The spots are worse this year than they were last year. Last year the dealer used a razor blade made a small cut and pushed the air out. Last summer after he did that it would still come up but we could press it back down for a day or two. I am not worried about it Tige always seems to step up and fix issues.

Comment

Gotcha. Weve seen that one before too. Little round circles on the rear deck lids and platform. I think they are from where they put the air lines because Tige vacuum bags the small parts.

Weve had to do some gelcoat after the traction is off to smooth it out then apply new traction.

Comment

I wonder if the problem is leftover mold release from the original molding process. If that's the problem, the only permanent fix will be to pull off the GatorStep and wipe down the underlying surface with a solvent to remove the mold release.

If it's just a bad adhesive, then how about using a syringe to first release the air, then use the same syringe to inject some fresh adhesive into the same space. Smooth it around using the GatorStep's top surface, then set a flat heavy object on it until the adhesive cures.

Comment

Id..... that is what I was going to do with the turkey injector.( a little more glue) I was surprised when the needle went in it hear a rush of air come out. so t just pushed it back down and it stayed down so far.

Comment

Working...
                      X