21v Trans Oil Light Intermittent Flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21v Trans Oil Light Intermittent Flickering

Quick question regarding the trans oil light on my dash - boat is a '99 21v with the 350 MAG MPI with around 850 hours. Over the weekend I noticed that the tans light seems to be flickering a bit when on plane. Usually the light turns off at anything over 700ish RPM. Transmission fluid level was changed last season and is clean and full. I believe the light I am seeing could be related to the v-drive oil? I have not changed that for a few seasons so I was going to start with inspecting that.

What would cause the v-drive oil level to get low if that is indeed the case? Could it be leaking from somewhere that I should be inspecting? Any insight would be much appreciated. V-drive is the black 1.00-1 Walter Gear Drive s/n 80749 and p/n RV-26D.

Thanks!

The trans oil light on the dash is actually for the V-drive. And you're right, once the RPM's come up a bit and the V-drive oil starts building pressure, the light should go off. I can't remember right off, but I want to say the needed pressure to turn the light off is like 2-3 PSI. If the light is flickering, my bet would be a loose wire to the sending unit, or a bad sending unit. If you are low on oil that would also cause flickering as the pump primes and then looses prime with the low oil sloshing around. So make sure your oil is full then start checking the other items. I went as far as installing a mechanical pressure gauge T'd off of the sending unit so I could actually see what pressure the V-drive pump was making.

Comment

Got it. Thanks for confirming. Will be checking fluid level tonight. I did notice what appeared to be some light oil in the bilge, so perhaps I have a slow leak. Hopefully nothing too crazy. Will report back with my findings.

Comment

Well I had a few minutes tonight to walk down to the boat to investigate. First thing I noticed was a decent amount of what appears to be oil in the bilge. Not sure if this was from a sloppy oil change or from the v-drive. From there I went to check the dipstick on the v-drive and noticed hardly any oil in the unit. Not a good sign. Granted the boat was on the lift which sits at an angle with the bow up in the air a bit and not level. I will drop it down tomorrow to where it is floating and take another look at the fluid level. Not sure if it matters, but what little oil appeared on the dipstick seemed to be quite clean.

About 4 or 5 seasons ago I had the v-drive fluid changed by my mechanic. To be honest, I have hardly paid attention to it since then. I keep an eye on the transmission fluid but for some stupid reason not the v-drive.

So, I did a quick visual inspection of the v-drive and I can’t see any obvious areas where the oil could have been leaking from. Any thoughts on where to start? Perhaps I’ve had a slow leak for a long time and the problem is just starting to show itself now that the fluid has gotten quite low. Do I drain what oil is left and fill it up, keeping an eye on the level as I continue to use it? Any input would be great! Attached are a few photos I took tonight showing the oily water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just found an interesting thread online. It is quite old but it appears that this exact unit may have had issues with a slow oil leak. Any others experience this?

https://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/f...drive-oil-leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X