Engine Will Not Turn Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Will Not Turn Off

Boat starts and runs just fine. When we went to park in the cove my engine would not shut off when the key is turned to off position. Boat still continues to fire right back up. We have a 2000 2300V that doesn’t have a kill switch. Any help/advise is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by cmbowman1129; 05-27-2019, 12:10 PM. Reason: More details.

doesn't solve your problem, but what about kill switch?

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
      doesn't solve your problem, but what about kill switch?
      I wish it was just a kill switch issue but my boat doesn’t have one. It’s a 2000 2300V.

Comment

Originally posted by cmbowman1129 View Post
        Boat starts and runs just fine. When we went to park in the cove my engine would not shut off when the key is turned to off position. Boat still continues to fire right back up. We have a 2000 2300V that doesn’t have a kill switch. Any help/advise is greatly appreciated.
        Was the alternator changed at all recently??

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
          Was the alternator changed at all recently??
          I believe the alternator was changed about 2 - 2.5 years ago.

Comment

Well if it was shutting off before then that kills my theory. Id start by making sure voltage goes away on purple wire at key when you shut it off

Comment

Originally posted by jtryon
              what do you mean "Boat still continues to fire right back up"? it doesn't turn off, or it turns off then starts back up on its own?
              The boat starts just fine by the turn of the key in start/on position. When I go to turn the key to the off position to shut engine down I get nothing, engine continues to run. I had to pull the coil plug to shut down the engine. I can continue to start the engine but cannot turn the boat off without pulling the coil plug. Replaced the ignition switch and the issue still continues.

Comment

All I can think is possible sticking relay. Also seen where after an alternator change the excite and voltage sense wires for the regulator got flip flopped and would keep the boat running.

Comment

Bad key switch. There are no relays that control power to the coil on that model year Mercruiser. Use a volt meter and test the purple wire at the ignition coil with the positive lead from the volt tester and put the black lead on an unpainted bolt head on the engine block to get a good ground. DO NOT USE THE NEGATIVE SIDE OF THE IGNITION COIL, it is not a ground. If you have 12volts or around 12volts when you perform this test and the key is in the "off" position, your key switch is bad. Easy to replace just be sure to get the 3 position and not the 4 position. 4 position has the accessory on it which our boats don't require.
                  Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

I replaced the key switch and that wasn't the issue. Wish it was just the switch lol would have been a much cheaper fix.

SOLVED: The problem ended up being in the wiring harness back at the engine.

Comment

Working...
                    X