Tige Speedset removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tige Speedset removal

Anyone know how to remove the Speedset panel from a 2008 Z1? Just got the new upgraded speedset from IDBoating.
    As you can see from the pics, the one long bolt on the back is not accessible (and there is another one on the right side behind the fiberglass)! Almost seems like I need to remove the windshield so that I can remove the entire dash/instrument cluster.....seems like a lot of work. Tried loosening the armrest, but it wont go over the throttle and the throttle doesn't seem to easy to remove either....
    Attached Files

Ah, I see the challenge now that it's in photos. I can't tell from here {grin}, but any chance you can remove the panel holding the gauges? Maybe then you could reach in through that opening to the two #8 bolts immediately to the right.

EDIT: Also, it's obvious Tige makes that tan-colored section and then hogs it out to make openings for the cables and such. Maybe you could remove a bit more material where necessary to gain access to the bolts?

Hopefully Koolaid will chime in with a factory recommendation....

Comment

Eureka! With a bunch of cursing, I was finally able to partially remove the dash to have enough access to remove the Speedset. Needed a right angle screwdriver to unscrew the 2 screws under the windshield. Had to remove the windshield bracket. Then had to remove the steering assembly to finally be able to move the dash enough to barely get my hand behind the speedset. I also ended up taking the arm rest out (with some effort over the throttle) which allowed a little more room. Now to install the new speedset and then put the dash back together. So much for a simple switch out....... can't wait to try the new cruise control though.

Comment

Excellent! Sorry it was such a PITA. I still hope Koolaid weighs in with a factory-recommended process for accessing components of that helm. You can't be the first person to need to service something there....

Comment

Just finished install and the new speedset works as designed! Thanks IDBoating! Now if the weather cooperates I can test it out on the lake......

Comment

Originally posted by Zerps View Post
            Just finished install and the new speedset works as designed! Thanks IDBoating! Now if the weather cooperates I can test it out on the lake......
            Awesome, glad it all worked out!

Comment

Working...
            X