V drive fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V drive fluid

I just bought an 05 24v. Just wondering what kind of fluid I put in this unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30W non-detergent motor oil and Dex-III for the trans.

Congrats
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick reply! Is there anything I need to pay attention to for service of the trans and v-drive other than fluid?

Comment

The fluid level wasn’t even touching the bottom of the stick. Doesn’t seem oily enough around it to be a leak.

Any way of testing the health of a v-drive?

Comment

Those things are pretty beefy but people just don't check fluid levels like they should. No real way to check its health other than listening for noises. Something else to pay attention to, get those galvanized pipe fittings on the water inlet replaced with bronze immediately!!!!! They will erode and cause bad things to happen. Seeing stuff like that says the previous owner did things himself that he shouldn't.
          Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

The saga continues. I filled the v drive back up with fluid took it for a 20 minute cruise and it was completely empty again. The hull underneath it seems to be very oily but I’m not sure it is where all the oil is going.. Any ideas where I should look?

Comment

Pull the raw water outlet hose off, the one that runs to the engine, and feel inside for oil. There can only be an internal or external leak. External leaks into the bilge, internal leaks into the raw water hose through a ruptured v-drive cooling core.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the crazy fast! I will scope it tonight. I am surprised something like that can happen. Either way I am looking at a v-drive unit rebuild at a minimum no? Is there a parts source?

Comment

I do all my business with Mike at Harbor Marine (425) 259-3285 ext 103. They are in Everett WA so if you are east of them be sure to account for time when calling. Think he gets in at 9 but I always wait until 10 to call. I dont think there is a part Ive needed that he hasnt tracked down...yet

Comment

Originally posted by boatwakes View Post
                    Those things are pretty beefy but people just don't check fluid levels like they should. No real way to check its health other than listening for noises. Something else to pay attention to, get those galvanized pipe fittings on the water inlet replaced with bronze immediately!!!!! They will erode and cause bad things to happen. Seeing stuff like that says the previous owner did things himself that he shouldn't.
                    When you say “bad things”, what are we talking about exactly?

Comment

Turns out the leak was coming from deteriorating oil lines and it was leaking into the hull. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                      X