Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test drive 2008 20V

Hi everybody,
    I’m going to test drive a 2008 20V tomorrow before buying it. Anything about this model/year that I should pay particular attention to? I appreciate any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing specific to that model

Feel the steering, should be smooth. If not, relatively cheap fix.
    Check the voltage while driving. Alternator health.
    Other than that, just look for basic care and condition. If the interior and exterior was taken care of, it’s likely the engine was too. The opposite is also true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Check all the fluids, look for oil leaks in the bilge(engine/trans/drive all contain fluids) , look for water leaks into the bilge from the shaft seal (best done while the boat is under way as the seal is notorious for not leaking at idle then when you start driving it sprays water all over) shaft seals need to be replaced every so often and are relatively easy fix. The boat should steer easy and smoothly(steering cable is again something that wears out after 4-6 years)
      Ask about servicing details. When was the impeller last replaced? I do mine yearly as it’s cheap insurance.
      Don’t forget about the trailer. Bunk condition, lights, tires, hubs, etc.. the big one is the hubs, depending what system they need servicing as well.
      Last edited by Jetdriver; 05-22-2019, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Also, from my own experience of things that I overlooked when buying last year that were fixable, but a headache...

1) Probably has an E Series tower so check that all the tower hardware is in good order (tower bolts present and not stripped, etc). Tower bolts are pricey.
        2) Make sure tracking fins appear to be straight and undamaged. You can see if there any spider gelcoat cracks around leading tracking fin on the hull that would indicate impact with ground or trailer. If there's any hard pull one way or another when driving check these.

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions. The boat drove smooth and straight and there was no noticable damage to the fins, prop, or hull. I bought the boat and drove it home to Ohio, from South Carolina. Made it about 500 miles of the 550 mile journey and then one of the trailer tires blew. Fortunately, it didn't do any damage to the boat or trailer (small bend in the fender). Turns out all four tires were dry rotted, so I had to have them all replaced. I guess I was so focused on the boat that I didn't pay close enough attention to the trailer. Anyway, I'm still very excited to drop her in the water at our local lake tomorrow.

Comment

Congrats on the new boat! I have an 07 20v and it is an awesome boat. You will enjoy it. Create a routine each time you go out, check all your oil levels, tires, etc... Only problems so far with mine is the clarion unit crapped out as well as the speed set button. Just one of the joys of boat ownership. You know what they say "Bust Out Another Thousand" .

Comment

Working...
            X