Redneck Tigé Clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Redneck Tigé Clear

Seeing as I can’t afford a new boat I made my own redneck Tigé Clear.

GoPro Hero 7 Black mounted on a 7 foot aluminum boom.

IMG_7877.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

Samsung Tab A 8” on LTE. Suction cup mount to the windshield.

Spotify Premium for Android.

GoPro connects to Hero 7 via wifi granting me a live rear view with a ~800ms lag.

Samsung connects to Spotify via LTE for tunes.

Android in dual view so both are accessible at the same time.

Tige Touch connects to Samsung via Bluetooth.

Tige Touch wired in to Wetsounds on-board.

Done and done. All works without wires. Saved myself about $50k.

Last edited by JohnnieMo; 05-14-2019, 04:00 AM.

Looks good Johnie! I am in the process of making a pvc GoPro mount for the tower, right now it’s at 12’ and has way too much flex even after a put doweling inside so I’ll try and shorten it down a bit. Happy with that GoPro pole? At about what angle is it going back at, 45 ish?

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
      Looks good Johnie! I am in the process of making a pvc GoPro mount for the tower, right now it’s at 12’ and has way too much flex even after a put doweling inside so I’ll try and shorten it down a bit. Happy with that GoPro pole? At about what angle is it going back at, 45 ish?
      Oh that's a long drawn out answer. I looked at other sorts of poles and I found box-tube aluminum at about 1" was the only thing strong enough and light enough. Get as small a mount for the GoPro as you can also. It has a minor bit of flex on bouncy days, but very still on calm days. However the boom is a bit of a nuisance when it's not in use. Mine swings in to be parallel with the boat, but you still get annoyed by it or worse. As for the angle, I find I like it closer to perpendicular. It is probably closer to 60 degrees.

PVC won't likely be strong enough, but I love that you are trying it. Is it the thick black stuff?? 2"? That could work....

If you get the Hero 7 Black it has such amazing image stabilization you could mount it to a pool noodle.

Anyways to answer your question, I had all sorts of problems last year and didn't use it much. 90% of issues were with the camera itself, hence why I upgraded. So I can't give a lot of info on the mount itself. Now the vertical board racks on the other hand are completely awesome. Everyone should do it.

Comment

Ya I have my doubts about the pvc pipe working. I’ve got a couple buddies who have done it and they clamp super easy into the ptm racks just not sure they were as long as mine. Went with 3/4” white pvc. Gonna cut some more off and see how it goes, ran a rope down it just in case it snaps.

And yes I actually do have the hero 7. What an amazing camera with the stabilization. I’ve got the ptm racks and unless I’m brining a bunch of boards I never use them. 1000 dollar boards don’t belong in racks.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
          Ya I have my doubts about the pvc pipe working. I’ve got a couple buddies who have done it and they clamp super easy into the ptm racks just not sure they were as long as mine. Went with 3/4” white pvc. Gonna cut some more off and see how it goes, ran a rope down it just in case it snaps.

And yes I actually do have the hero 7. What an amazing camera with the stabilization. I’ve got the ptm racks and unless I’m brining a bunch of boards I never use them. 1000 dollar boards don’t belong in racks.
          I hear you on that. I only put carbon boards (or ancient boards) in the racks. With that being said, they take way less abuse mounted vertically. And they are much easier to get in and out.

I think you will need something stronger than 3/4". It is the wall thickness that matters. I tried many different incarnations before settling on the aluminium. You could do with round aluminum as well, but I couldn't find an easy way to mount that to my board racks. Your method could work.

Where do you store a 12' long boom when not in use?

Comment

We've got a fully enclosed slip at the lake I can stash stuff in. Ive got this 3/4 made up so I might as well give it a try, most likely going to chop it down to 9-10' first.

Comment

That is pure awesomeness Johnnie. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                That is pure awesomeness Johnnie. Nice work!
                Thanks. The major impetus for this was needing to see behind the boat with a live view. When you have a bunch of adults on the back of the boat and a kid in the water, you can't see anything in the rear view. I always get scared. Having the live view from the side of the boar particularly gives me a lot more confidence. The Spotify was just a cool side effect. What's neat about Spotify is you can control the music from any other device logged in on the same account. So I can control the song or volume from my iPhone.

Comment

That is pretty cool. Im still stuck on Pandora. Maybe time for something new. My buddy just got a 7 and is panning on doing kind of the same idea except he wants to mount the camera on his jet boat up front and cast it to a screen inside the boat so then people that arent sitting in the front seats can still see the river and surrounding terrain when the sfot top is closed. We were talking about trying to do some NMEA to serial connections and try and get the fishfinder/gps to display on the tablet as well but havent done any real looking into it. Just a Friday night thought standing around the fire.

Comment

If someone wanted to temporarily hold the camera, you could mount it too a boat hook. I know my boat hook will extend up too 12ft.
                    Nothing cool like OP has done, but would be a temp solution to get some footage from a good angle.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                      That is pretty cool. Im still stuck on Pandora. Maybe time for something new. My buddy just got a 7 and is panning on doing kind of the same idea except he wants to mount the camera on his jet boat up front and cast it to a screen inside the boat so then people that arent sitting in the front seats can still see the river and surrounding terrain when the sfot top is closed. We were talking about trying to do some NMEA to serial connections and try and get the fishfinder/gps to display on the tablet as well but havent done any real looking into it. Just a Friday night thought standing around the fire.
                      The live view has an almost 1 second lag across wifi. If you want better you can use HDMI and get a nearly real-time view. I used to use an analog line to the Tige Touch using my Hero 3 and that was awesome but it meant I couldn’t use the screen for anything else. I actually bought a cheap screen out of China but never installed it because the camera went tits up.

Comment

Working...
                      X