Trailer Tires on Gravel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer Tires on Gravel?

So a follow up to another thread I posted awhile back about having anxiety over parking the boat outside I have another question before I go pick the boat up tomorrow. The boat/trailer will be parked on gravel over the summer. Are there any recommendations on what (if any) I should park the trailer tires on while it's on the gravel? Would it be smart to get 4 concrete/cinder blocks and park the tires on those instead of gravel? Just want to make sure I don't prematurely wear my tires out, etc...

Thanks!

Unless you are trailering across the US and back repeatedly, then trailer tires virtually never wear out, but instead deteriorate due to age. I personally would not worry about the gravel, other than the gravel getting into the grooves and coming off later, causing nicks in the trailer and potentially the boat.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Our 5th wheel sits on gravel for most of the year with no problems. I think you are way overthinking this.

Comment

lots of boats/rv's here in vegas parked on gravel. our last parking spot for the old boat was in a storage yard on gravel and covered. no issues at all.
        as mentioned, when you first hit asphalt/concrete take it a bit slow to allow all the rocks that may get stuck to come off but most trailer tires don't have large enough tread to pick up any significant amount.
        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I would think gravel would be fine. I bought some tire covers for mine to keep the sun from cooking the tires. Cheap piece of mind. Most trailer tires dry rot before the tread gets thin.

Comment

Theres some cheap China bomb tires out there. I personally like Carlise tires for my travel trailer. Main thing in my experience is not running them underinflated. Run them at max psi listed on sidewall. Wouldnt go any lower that 5psi under max. Underinflated tires build heat as sidewall flexes and blowout.

My camper sits in storage on gravel and no problems relating to that.

Comment

Alright thanks guys....I guess I was just overthinking it then. I bought a custom cover from sewlong.com that will cover the entire boat/trailer so the boat and the trailer/tires will be protected from the sun.

Comment

Working...
              X