Considering a 2014 Z1 but concerned about Tige Touch reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a 2014 Z1 but concerned about Tige Touch reliability

OK be gentle, first post. I've been doing a lot of research between Tige, Malibu, Mastercraft, Moomba, Supra and Nautique.

I have located a very low hour 2014 Z1 that I am considering but have serious concerns on the reliability and availability of the Tige Touch 1 screen. This forum has lots of issues listed:
    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ch-Blue-Screen
    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...dallion-Update
    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...Z1-Tigé-Touch
    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...420-Tige-Touch
    and there are lots more. Of course every manufacturer has its set of issues with this era of automation. I am coming from an old Nautique with analog gauges, I can head down to my local hardware store and be up and running in an hour!

I was excited when I first saw @IDboating post with the title of http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...Project-Thread but it wasn't what I thought, I wanted an aftermarket solution if the Tige Touch Screen dies, his system replaces the set of buttons, not the screen.

What are boat owners to do when they can no longer get the custom screens that the OEM integrated? What functionality would be lost? Ballast control, speed control, some radio functions, Depth, Lights, Heater etc. Some of these could be easy replacement switches but others such as speed control are more integrated.

I am an Electronics Engineer, designing avionics, the overall task doesn't scare me off, but I really don't have the time to design and build one if I don't have to. I tried to find some more info online, but it is hard to come by. How do these systems interact? CAN bus? Does this screen interface to an external I/O relay/control box? I see mention of a Viper box, but cannot find any details. What does that interface look like? I have completed a few user interface screen designs, custom gauges on touchscreens etc. so I know if required I could build something, but like I said, it might just be easier to buy a boat with a newer Murphy system, or go way older and forget about the screen altogether.

Someone convince me I am just being paranoid and I should just pull the trigger on the beautiful 2014!
    Last edited by Weekendwally; 05-03-2019, 03:37 PM.

just pull the trigger.
    last boat was a 12 22ve bought new sold in 17. no issues with tt at all.
    bought a '14 z3 and (knock on wood) no issues at all.

I too am a little leary about tt as I came from an older supra with switches and like the simplicity of them but looks like a replacement panel are around 2k iirc what I read and replacement is quick. if it dies out on the water you lose speed control and helm stereo controls but redundant gauges help with some and under the dash there's a switchpanel for lights/ballast drain/bilge to get ya home. worst case if it dies on the way out to surf and you don't want to head back you can jumper inside the medallion panel with a fuse to get anything to run.
    speed control is my only real worry if tt dies and support disappears but I think that's a ways down the road. there's enough of them around that someone smarter than me like idboating will figure that out.

all that aside it didn't stop me from seeking out another tige specifically last fall while shopping.

good luck and post pics when you get her
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Thanks sandm. your experience is helping ease my concerns. Nice to know there are some overrides built in. As far as speed control, I presume that an off the shelf zero-off unit could replace the functionality if it ever came to that. Now to see if I can make a deal that works.

Comment

Here’s the way I see it. I don’t recall any threads about concerns about electronic fuel injection or ECMs. Electronics are electronics, and the ECMs are exposed to a much higher temperature in the engine compartment as compared to a touch screen. Heat is the enemy of electronics. Heat accelerates failures.

If designed well, these touch screens will not be an issue long term. Will these earlier screens have issues? I’m sure some will. Will it be a pain to find replacements in the future, maybe. The auto and boat industries are trending to touch screens so I’m 100% sure the designs will get better and better and at some point we won’t worry as much about them just like ECMs!

Has anyone experienced a failed ECM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bought a new '14 RZ2 and put on aprox 60 hours summer. To date zero issues! Few other friends have the same year and they also haven't had any issues. I can tell you when I was shopping around in '14 every other competitor brought up how Tige doesn't use switches and be aware....its like they painted this horrible picture in my head that if it had issues you'd be stuck out in the middle of the lake with no one to help you. Reality is, its great and I'm super glad I didn't let their scare tactics sway my decision.

Comment

Medallion is still supporting the screen as well, just not exactly cheap to replace. At least parts are still being made available should they fail. Havent seen one just "brick" yet and stop working, but have seen a couple where the touch interface liquid leaks out and loses touch function(you can see the air bubbles around the edge of the screen when it starts). They seem to keep going for a while after that starts though.

Comment

Had a 2012 RZ2 for 7 years and never had 1 issue with the touch screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                If designed well, these touch screens will not be an issue long term. Will these earlier screens have issues? I’m sure some will. Will it be a pain to find replacements in the future, maybe. The auto and boat industries are trending to touch screens so I’m 100% sure the designs will get better and better and at some point we won’t worry as much about them just like ECMs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

while you are absolutely correct the OP is asking about 2014 and not in the future. there are several threads about failed tt displays and I am sure if you ask the shop guys there have been failed ecm's just not as widely posted on here(ask my cousin about losing 2 summers on his old 22ve due to failed ecm and not able to get it fixed).
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
                X