World's longest wakesurf wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World's longest wakesurf wave

Hey Guys, Mitch from Boardco (centurion dealer in Utah) posted a video which I thought was pretty cool. Here's the link in case you haven't seen it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bez5Qx8zPXw He did a test of how long of a wave he could make behind the Ri237 and then measured it with a tape and a surfer. He came up with approx. 30 ft back from the swim platform. Pretty Impressive!! I think my R23 throws a long wave so just for fun I threw a tape in my boat to measure it next time I went out... I'm fairly certain I won't have numbers that rival that RI but with extra lead thrown in (600 lbs) I'm curious how long it is... I wonder what length an Rzx3 or Zx5 would measure.....

I’m willing to bet the zx5 will smash 30ft easily hopefully elevated will chime in with what he’s got going on
    surf till u die.

Comment

Make sure you use a kid that weighs 150lbs like the video above to help your odds as well.lol.

Comment

I'm excited to try this on my '14 RZ2.....I'm not sure how long a surf rope is but we can go back a good 10' - 15' after letting go of the rope so it'll be interesting. Couple notes though......I'll do it at 10.8 mph, shame you went super faster for your test as thats not the norm for the best wave. The board you choose for a wave like that kind of inflates your results (we'll do it on a '54 Diamond) as the X is super wide and from what I can tell you're using the 56" and it has a volume of 15 litres vs the diamond at 10.6 litres.......and as mentioned above I'll make sure to use a kid who weights 150lbs but I won't go faster to make my wave longer with no heiight, which no one runs just for the test......super excited to see what I get.....only bad news is our lakes are still frozen : (
        Props on doing the video and test though, just think you've inflated a few things to make your #'s better vs real life.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
          Make sure you use a kid that weighs 150lbs like the video above to help your odds as well.lol.
          Get Perry Morrison out there
          Oh Yeah!

Comment

I disagree Robmc9 about speed. Most people are running 11mph or slightly faster still. I find on the forums here or the Facebook page anybody that has issues with their wave besides ballast weight are told to speed up slightly. my 09ve isn't good at 10.8mph.

Comment

Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but at 10.8 on a 22ft boat you aren’t going to get anywhere close to the 257. Also with board size, a larger board does not mean more speed or floatation to stay in the wave. The model x is a “faster” beginner board but still not comparable. Also with the length where to measure to, bring comfortable in the wave or way back pumping in? Go watch someone like Keenan Flegel and that would add at least 10ft onto it.

I am curious as to where the rzx3 would come in at for length but it really comes down to setup and speed. I think we could get far back but maybe not 257 length.

Comment

same here bc. my 22ve wave was crap at anything under 11. we ran 11.6 most of the time and have found the same to be true of the z3.
                the old 20ssv supra I had was good at 10.5 but it was a short and narrow hull so I think that had something to do with it. that wave lost all push over 11.
                2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                  Not trying to burst your bubble or anything but at 10.8 on a 22ft boat you aren’t going to get anywhere close to the 257. Also with board size, a larger board does not mean more speed or floatation to stay in the wave. The model x is a “faster” beginner board but still not comparable. Also with the length where to measure to, bring comfortable in the wave or way back pumping in? Go watch someone like Keenan Flegel and that would add at least 10ft onto it.

I am curious as to where the rzx3 would come in at for length but it really comes down to setup and speed. I think we could get far back but maybe not 257 length.
                  Sorry agree to disagree. A board with more volume (litre wise) as in this case, creates way more buoyancy and easier to stay in the wave buy not pumping. I'm guessing your rider usually rides a board that is somewhere around 10-11 litres so the board you used had a 30+% larger buoyancy vs what he'd normally ride. In the end it doesn't matter as the wave is great but just wish everything was compared apples to apples, same speed as usual, same board vs adjustments that all.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                    Go watch someone like Keenan Flegel and that would add at least 10ft onto it.
                    And there is a Keenan Flegel board in the classified section if anyone wants to make an offer ....

Just saying.

Comment

I think whatever speed you can make the longest wave is fair game as long as they stay in it. I usually surf at least 11.2. To make a long wave I'd be probably 12.5 or more. The boat by the way was a 23ft not the 257. I think they did that on purpose so if someone challenged them they could say 257 wave is even better. Someone with a zx5 should put it to the test!

Comment

I have surfed at 16mph and stayed with the boat, the wave was so freaking long. I had to pump to stay with the boat, does that count?
                        Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by Robmc9 View Post
                          I'm excited to try this on my '14 RZ2.....I'm not sure how long a surf rope is but we can go back a good 10' - 15' after letting go of the rope so it'll be interesting. Couple notes though......I'll do it at 10.8 mph, shame you went super faster for your test as thats not the norm for the best wave. The board you choose for a wave like that kind of inflates your results (we'll do it on a '54 Diamond) as the X is super wide and from what I can tell you're using the 56" and it has a volume of 15 litres vs the diamond at 10.6 litres.......and as mentioned above I'll make sure to use a kid who weights 150lbs but I won't go faster to make my wave longer with no heiight, which no one runs just for the test......super excited to see what I get.....only bad news is our lakes are still frozen : (
                          Props on doing the video and test though, just think you've inflated a few things to make your #'s better vs real life.
                          They say right in the video that the whole objective was to make a long wave. So doing everything possible to make a long wave is really the only way you could keep this apples to apples with different boats. Nothing else matters. Your board pick or person riding wont make the wave longer or shorter. Who cares about height of the wave when you're specifically going for length? Why add stuff to downplay what they just did. I'd love to have a wave that long and surfable, even if it wasn't a comp surfable wave. How cool would it be to have 3-4 people surfing at the same time! We can barely do 2 at a time. Hoping to do better this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
                            They say right in the video that the whole objective was to make a long wave. So doing everything possible to make a long wave is really the only way you could keep this apples to apples with different boats. Nothing else matters. Your board pick or person riding wont make the wave longer or shorter. Who cares about height of the wave when you're specifically going for length? Why add stuff to downplay what they just did. I'd love to have a wave that long and surfable, even if it wasn't a comp surfable wave. How cool would it be to have 3-4 people surfing at the same time! We can barely do 2 at a time. Hoping to do better this summer.
                            ...TRUTH...

Comment

That is my home lake! I was unimpressed until I saw the drone shots. It sounds like the engine is running at 4500 RPM, so I am betting there was a lot of bow weight, and high speed.
                              Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Working...
                              X