Underwater lights not full brightness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underwater lights not full brightness

I installed liquid lumens pipeline lights last fall and I also installed LEDs in the interior of the boat. I noticed the interior lights and the underwater lights to be not as bright when on at the same time together. We like to run all the lights when out at night. I was thinking that the lights might not be getting the amount of amps needed to be full brightness ? I’m not an electrical expert so I was not really sure what is causing this and how to fix the problem whether I need another battery to separate them or what. Any input is appreciated!
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine seem to do the same thing when my voltage gets low. When I start the boat it all goes the same brightness. Battery might need replaced? Just a guess.

Comment

Interior lights hardly pull any current, but they are just as voltage sensitive as any other. So first thing I would do, is trace their circuits down till you find the point that they connect. In other words, what do they have in common.

Does this happen when the engine is off or also when the engine is also running? This eliminate low battery voltage and point more toward a poor connection.

Time to break out the volt/ohm meter. Will eliminate any guessing.
      Last edited by chpthril; 04-05-2019, 10:58 PM.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
        Interior lights hardly pull any current, but they are just as voltage sensitive as any other. So first thing I would do, is trace their circuits down till you find the point that they connect. In other words, what do they have in common.

Does this happen when the engine is off or also when the engine is also running? This eliminate low battery voltage and point more toward a poor connection.

Time to break out the volt/ohm meter. Will eliminate any guessing.
        Thanks Mike. The lights seem to stay not as bright when the engine is on or off. I’m not too concerned on if the interior lights aren’t as bright but mainly the underwater lights. I have seen what they are capable of and want them to be as bright as possible but they aren’t right now.

Comment

Id still trace both issues as they seem to be connected. Low output even with the engine running, likely eliminates the battery just being low. Really sounds like a connection they have in common, being the issue. A volt meter will expose the issue.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I have pipelines on my boat and way more leds than anyone has ever done on a Tige and I have had no issues whatsoever so I would think it’s a connection issue possibly
            surf till u die.

Comment

Originally posted by Surf406 View Post
              I have pipelines on my boat and way more leds than anyone has ever done on a Tige and I have had no issues whatsoever so I would think it’s a connection issue possibly
              Do you have another separate battery for lights and accessories? In other words another battery apart from the starting battery and the normal accessories battery.

Comment

I think I might have an idea of the problem. Tell me if I’m wrong but we used the wire to the switch that was from the old factory transom light and this wire seemed to be pretty small. I don’t remember what gauge wire it was but it was definitely smaller than what I used to extend it to the converter. This wire probably worked on a much lower output light and there was only one. Now we have two lights that are very high output and I think that with the wire being so small it is restricting current. I’m going to try to rewire to the switch with larger wire so less current is restricted.

Am I right about this or could this be the problem? Please tell me if I’m wrong because I’m not a big electrical guy!

Now what gauge wire would work or would you recommend using?
                Thanks for the help

Comment

The turn-on wire to the liquid lumens converter does not draw any notable amperage. Its job is simply a 12V input to turn the lights on. The power for the lights is supplied to the converter via the large power cables.

Comment

Ok I kind of figured that wire didn’t do much but it was all I could think of could be the problem. Haven’t had a chance to test with a volt meter yet

Comment

Working...
                    X