2005 24V Maintenance Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2005 24V Maintenance Help

Just purchased a 2005 24V with a Marine Power 6.0 with closed cooling. I am doing annual maintenance, in replacing the belt it appears that I need to remove the impeller housing or remove the hoses off of it?? I have searched this site, google and the two manuals I downloaded from MP and I cant find anything on this? It seems a bit ridiculous to have to drain the cooling system to replace a belt?? To that, is this a completely closed system, meaning that it takes no lake water to cool the engine? If this is the case, can the boat be ran out of the water without a fake a lake?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Tom

Okay, so your 6.0L is "closed cooled" in the sense that it has coolant in the block and heater if equipped. Its really best described as half closed cooled. Raw water(lake water) gets sucked in and ran thru your oil coolers and heat exchangers. The two hoses at the bottom of your crank mounted pump are water in and water out. The heat exchanger has a radiator cap on it and houses the coolant. Lake water is pumped around the coolant to pull heat out of it, then makes its way to exhaust manifolds and heads out the back of the boat.

Boot those hoses and change the belt. Just dont pull hoses on what we would call the circulating pump(traditional automotive belt driven water pump) or any other plugs. If you follow the hose from the thru hull on the bottom of your boat you will have a better grasp of how the raw water flows thru your system.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks! I will take a look at it again and hopefully it will make more sense.

Tom

Comment

This might help. Not sure if it applies to the 6.0.
        Will be doing mine shortly when I have free time.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ight=22ve+belt

Comment

Working...
        X