Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for a first time Tige owner?

Hi All,

I just placed an order for a new 2019 ZX1. It's gonna be a long 6-10 weeks waiting for delivery, but I guess it's not so bad since the lakes are still frozen over up here!

This will be the first boat that I personally own (we've had lots floating around in the family in the past). Any recommendations on things I should definitely think about? Anything specific to Tige?

I'm super excited for the first opportunity to get out on the water this year. Maybe I can get my 3 year old daughter up on a surf board, who knows! Gonna be a great season!

Welcome to the Tigé family!

Learn to use taps to your advantage. In heavy chop I like to set taps to 7-8 and run 14-18mph to bring the nose up very high and keep me dry. Running across the lake at high speeds, bring it down to 2-3. You will find the sweet spots as you go along.

Fill the ballast while stationary. Since they are aerator style pumps they cannot fill while you are moving. You can empty while underway, just not fill.

I you have never owned a direct drive/V-drive you will need to learn to backup/reverse properly and also how the boat behaves when moving forward at low speeds.

Just a few things I can think of right off the bat :-)
    Oh Yeah!

Comment

your first order of business should be to bring it down here to mead for your break-in. we would, with some arm twisting, help you take care of that

congrats and welcome.. as the old saying goes pics or you didn't buy it so post em up once you have it......
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by KoolAid View Post
        Welcome to the Tigé family!

Learn to use taps to your advantage. In heavy chop I like to set taps to 7-8 and run 14-18mph to bring the nose up very high and keep me dry. Running across the lake at high speeds, bring it down to 2-3. You will find the sweet spots as you go along.

Fill the ballast while stationary. Since they are aerator style pumps they cannot fill while you are moving. You can empty while underway, just not fill.

I you have never owned a direct drive/V-drive you will need to learn to backup/reverse properly and also how the boat behaves when moving forward at low speeds.

Just a few things I can think of right off the bat :-)
        Definitely practice backing up as it's not the same as an I/O.

Comment

Congrats on the order. You will be stoked! Welcome to the forum.

If you plan on spending any time anchorrd up listening to tunes, swimming, eating etc I would pick up a box anchor. They fold up for storage but work when needed.

With previous boating experience you should be good on using bumpers/fenders, dock lines etc. A bunch of people around here use BaBz, and owner is member on the forum. Havent used them personally but they seem to have good reviews around here and will protect your new boat. https://babzusa.com/
          ^^theres the link

Theres been a handful of threads over time that everyone lists their "essentials". Im sure with prior boating experience you will know a lot of the things that would be on the lust, but may be worth using the search bar to try and find previous threads.

Last big one on my list would be getting the requisite cleaning supplies to maintain the boat, keep the water spots down, care for vinyl etc. If you ordered with cool feel vinyl be sure to follow their recommendations on cleaning.

Enjoy the new boat!

Comment

you've had a boat before, so some of this may be obvious, but I'll restate for posterity...

take a boater safety course and know the rules of the "road"...please.

take your time when docking and trailering. dont be in a hurry. and PRACTICE. i have no real stats on this but i'd be willing to bet money that 95% or more of all hull/ gelcoat damage happens in these scenarios. pay attention to wind and currents before approach. your vdrive tige will pull toward the starboard in reverse, so account for that when approaching a dock. I always try and come in head on at LOW speed (idle), disengage throttle, and then veer to the port so my starboard (driver) side drifts towards the dock. Very slight reverse bumps and your starboard side will line up right to the dock like magic.

no shoes or food in the boat (drinks and adult beverages excepted). Keep a few rags and cleaning supplies on board. clean up spills immediately.

no sunscreen applied in the boat, unless you want stained vinyl. clean spills immediately (yes i know i already said that).

x2 on Babz. will never go back to the old cylinder bumpers.

follow tige service interval and maintenance recommendations. better safe than sorry.

learn to surf. this is obviously personal preference, but there's nothing like it. you can do it for hours and never get bored, or tired. and it doesn't hurt when you fall. I really enjoy wakeboarding and waterskiing, but wakesurfing ftw.

if you can get over your (my?) OCD of keeping it immaculate....USE IT. Nothing breaks my heart more walking out at the marina and seeing slip after slip of neglected, dusty, spider web covered, $100k+ wake machines. These boats are for making memories and experiences, so go make some. on the water. with good people.

welcome to the family.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! Welcome to the family! You are gonna love that ZX1!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Definitely lots to get ready with over the next couple months. Gonna need to go toy shopping for all the fun stuff (wakeboards, surfboards, tow ropes, etc), since most of the stuff I've used in the past has always been shared or borrowed. I appreciate the recommendation on Babz as well.

Shoes, sunscreen application, and some other mentions are already requirements in our world, but I can appreciate the notes!

Here's a couple pics of our design. Cool touch fabric for the black sections

TigeZX1_1.jpg

TigeZX1_2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Skidude04 View Post
                  Thanks everyone for the comments!

Definitely lots to get ready with over the next couple months. Gonna need to go toy shopping for all the fun stuff (wakeboards, surfboards, tow ropes, etc), since most of the stuff I've used in the past has always been shared or borrowed. I appreciate the recommendation on Babz as well.

Shoes, sunscreen application, and some other mentions are already requirements in our world, but I can appreciate the notes!

Here's a couple pics of our design. Cool touch fabric for the black sections

[ATTACH]50447[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]50448[/ATTACH]
                  Congrats on the new ZX1. You will absolutely love it. There is one of these at the dealer down the road from me. I slow down a little every time I drive by. Just a gorgeous boat and huge! Also thanks to everyone ^^^above^^^ for the support. Let me know if you have any questions about BABz. I'd be happy to answer.
                  BABz - babzusa.com
                  Austin, TX

Comment

skidude - Congrats on the ZX1. Great boat.

What lake in WI do you boat on? I grew up in Milwaukee then spent 16 years in Wausau.
                    "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutATX View Post
                      Congrats on the new ZX1. You will absolutely love it. There is one of these at the dealer down the road from me. I slow down a little every time I drive by. Just a gorgeous boat and huge! Also thanks to everyone ^^^above^^^ for the support. Let me know if you have any questions about BABz. I'd be happy to answer.
                      Thanks! Can’t wait to get the first production pics to share. I guess it started at the end of last week!

I’m guilty of the same thing. Dealer near me had an RZX3 outside for a while and I would take the long way home just to look. Lol. Would’ve been better if it were a ZX1.. that ones inside..

Originally posted by Booms View Post
                      skidude - Congrats on the ZX1. Great boat.

What lake in WI do you boat on? I grew up in Milwaukee then spent 16 years in Wausau.
                      Thanks! We’re in the Waukesha area so we hit up nagawicka, Pewaukee, Okauchee, and others in the area. Also have a place up on crescent lake in rhinelander but I probably won’t leave the boat there between visits.

We used to stop at the 2510 restaurant in Wausau all the time on the way up to rhinelander basically for the fried cheese curds. Lol. Lots of Wisconsin in this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

great... another yooper with a vacation house up nort....

one of the top steaks I have ever had was from schwartz supper club in st. anna.

enjoy a spotted cow for me..
                        2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                        2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Skidude - Our family cottage is just down Hwy 8 from you. We are on Nokomis. We have lots of friends on Crescent Lake. Over the 4th I will have our Z3 on Nokomis. Would love to surf the ZX1 if you are up nort.

2510 is only good for curds and their homemade chicken pot pie.

I lived in New Berlin from 1991 until 2000. We were always on Nagawicka and Pewaukee, even though on the weekends they were crazy. My dad and sister still live in the Waukesha/New Berlin/Hartford area.

I miss the lakes of Northern WI. Ohio just doesn't have the lakes like WI.
                          "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

@booms - still trying to figure out our plans for the 4th this year, but I’ll def message you if we end up heading up!

On another note, build started a couple weeks ago according to the dealer, but I haven’t seen any pics yet. So anxious to see some pics or get the boat. Dealer suggested that Tige doesn’t really send build pics anymore. dealer anticipating early May delivery!! Can’t wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ditto on the other comments about learning how an inboard reacts. I've been around I/O's for the better part of 30 years. Reverse and docking are definitely a different animal. I love my 07, I can't imagine how sweet a new one would be. Congrats, lots of smart guys on here willing to help. The cool thing about these type forums is the family like mentality among people, most of which you will never meet.

Comment

Working...
                              X