Weak impeller on 2004 22V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak impeller on 2004 22V

I am the original owner of a 2004 22V powered by the Marine Power 5.7L engine and have been very happy with it since I purchased it new, except for one thing. After the boat sits out of the water for a short period it always has a hard time getting water back in the motor. When unloading from the trailer we have to hurry up and idle the boat out of the no wake area and punch it so the impeller will finally pick up water. Once water is in the motor we don't have any issues.

I am curious if anyone else has this same issue and if there might be a remedy for it? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Has this happened since you got the boat? Or is it more recent?

The reason I ask is the water pump on my Volvo has a wear plate in it, and if that plate is worn, the boat doesnt make descent suction until it gets wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cwhitman View Post
      I am the original owner of a 2004 22V powered by the Marine Power 5.7L engine and have been very happy with it since I purchased it new, except for one thing. After the boat sits out of the water for a short period it always has a hard time getting water back in the motor. When unloading from the trailer we have to hurry up and idle the boat out of the no wake area and punch it so the impeller will finally pick up water. Once water is in the motor we don't have any issues.

I am curious if anyone else has this same issue and if there might be a remedy for it? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
      I assume that you know it isn't picking up because it overheats if you don't do what you describe?

When was the impeller last changed, and does this happen with every impeller you have had?
      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

What is the actual symptom that lets you know the pump is not drawing water?
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by jtryon
          have you replaced the impeller? this should be done yearly.
          Yearly? Really? I'd think every 2 or 3... But he'll, I don't want to be broken down so...

Also, keep a spare impeller in your boat!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

It has happened from new.

Comment

Yes, that's why we get out of the no wake zones asap! I watch the temp gauge and when it starts to move I just punch it no matter if I'm out of NW Zone or not, my engine is worth a lot more than a ticket! You can actually hear the difference in the motor when it get water. The boat has never run "hot" because I'm always aware of this problem. I change the impeller every couple of years. Every time I pull the impeller out it looks new? but I change it anyways (have plenty of backups now!) Happens with every impeller. Tige' dealership says I'm using the correct impeller, they think it's sucking air from someplace but again, its happened from the beginning.

Comment

Temp gauge starts moving fast and you can actually hear the change in the motor when it finally gets water

Comment

I was just curious if this was common to other Tige' V Drives?? Maybe I just have a problem child?

Comment

Yes, that's why we get out of the no wake zones asap! I watch the temp gauge and when it starts to move I just punch it no matter if I'm out of NW Zone or not, my engine is worth a lot more than a ticket!
                    In the short term, you can always rev the engine with the transmission disengaged to "solve" this problem. But you really should identify the problem. It's almost certainly leakage upstream of the impeller. Since you've replaced the impeller itself without fixing it, could be a warped pump housing, or leaky hose/fitting between the pump and the thruhull, etc. My personal first place to look would be the transmission intercooler; I've never really liked the hose fittings on those things, mine at least looks like it would leak if the hose clamps were even the slightest bit loose.

FWIW, I change my impeller every year regardless of hours. And store the old one in a ziplock bag over winter to serve as next year's backup. But then I also change my engine oil and transmission fluid every 50 hours, so I may be a bit excessive about maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
                      FWIW, I change my impeller every year regardless of hours. And store the old one in a ziplock bag over winter to serve as next year's backup. But then I also change my engine oil and transmission fluid every 50 hours, so I may be a bit excessive about maintenance.
                      This ^

Impellers and oil are cheap compared to a replacement engine, trust me.
                      Oh Yeah!

Comment

Temp gauge starts moving fast and you can actually hear the change in the motor when it finally gets water
                        So this could mean the housing is running dry for a couple minutes each trip. I would suspect this has worn the housing, which could be adding to the root cause.

I to, would suspect an air leak between the intake and the pump inlet.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

One other little thing/possible issue...

Are you using a new gasket on the pump face every time you do an impeller??

Comment

He says it's been since boat was new. It's gotta be a leak somewhere sucking air..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Double check the impeller size. It should be on the impeller cover. Two different sizes fit however one will let the boat overheat during low RPM operation.

Comment

Working...
                              X