24ve hard steering turning right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24ve hard steering turning right

(edit: title should read turning LEFT not right) V-drive noob here. I checked out an 07 24ve yesterday that I was thinking of buying. While going slow the rudder turned easily with one finger. Once underway it took 3x or more effort to turn left than right. It seemed really bad but I’m coming from hydraulic steering on an I/O. Is that a normal feature of v-drives?

Thx
    Last edited by Killjoy7; 02-25-2019, 03:53 AM.

Having recently gone through the same thing. I wont speak to whether "3x" is the number, but under power I noticed a distinct difference in turning one way vs the other, and the boat actually pulls one direction under power. When I asked this exact same question, the general consensus was this was pretty normal for a V-drive boat. As long as the boat isnt pulling super hard one way (suggesting something is bent) its normal. Which is a long way from an I/O experience which is what I come from as well. These boats do need the steering cable replaced periodically, and I'm not sure I know what bad feels like there since I know the cable on mine is 6 mths old. Id ask the question on this boat - If its never been replaced you can expect to have to do that soon.

TL;DR - Yes, my boat is harder to turn left then right. (2007 22VE)

Comment

Originally posted by Killjoy7 View Post
      (edit: title should read turning LEFT not right) V-drive noob here. I checked out an 07 24ve yesterday that I was thinking of buying. While going slow the rudder turned easily with one finger. Once underway it took 3x or more effort to turn left than right. It seemed really bad but I’m coming from hydraulic steering on an I/O. Is that a normal feature of v-drives?

Thx
      When I first bought my boat, it was difficult to turn the wheel hard (Two hands) when under power. I changed out the steering cable and now it's one hand both directions regardless of speed.

Comment

Working...
      X