Lake Powell Help.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Powell Help.....

As I mentioned a couple months ago are heading to Albuquerque for a track meet. We are getting to Albuquerque on May 28, 29, or 30...depends on snow day make up days. We plan to stay in Alburquerque until late morning, early afternoon of June 1, then driving straight to Lake Powell (unless someone talks me into going somewhere else).

Where do you recommend that we stay?

What are places we must go, must see...on land and water (way more about the water)...

We will want to surf and wakeboard....

There will be more questions to come...but at least want to get started on booking a hotel/cabin...or other recommendation....

thank you,

Mike
    Union, MO

then driving straight to Lake Powell (unless someone talks me into going somewhere else)....There is no substitute for Powell....

Several lodging options in Page, AZ and I would suspect since your anticipated follows the 3 day Memorial Day weekend room availability and rates should be reasonable. Launch from Wahweap Marina or Antelope Point and decide for yourself.

Comment

The only problem with Powell is that there is so much to see. And it is so big it's difficult to see it all in a short trip. Most people seem to do it section by section. One section per trip.

Do you have any interest in camping along the way, or maybe doing a short houseboat rental? That would really increase your range. Probably some of the more popular places to see are Rainbow bridge and Reflection Canyon. These are long day trips though. If you were to camp it would be much easier. Get fuel and supplies at Dangling Rope.

This is a good place for information about Powell:

https://dooleyatlakepowell.weebly.com/

I have enjoyed reading all the stories from their years at Powell. It is mostly geared around how to use a houseboat, but there is plenty of good information about the sights to see and Powell in general.

June 1 is pretty early and we have gotten tons of snow this winter. I expect there will be lots of spring run off bring plenty of hazards to the lake.

Comment

As mentioned above, launching from Wahweap or Antelope point on the south end of the lake is your best bet. Camp or stay at any number of hotels/resorts in Page, AZ. As mentioned the lake is huge and even going halfway up river (basically the San Juan arm) is a good journey that will require a day and a full tank of gas. There is a ton to see on the south end of the lake, lots of cool canyons, rock formations, etc.. grab a map and go explore!

Comment

How many in your group?
          Are you bringing your boat or renting one there?
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Four of us...we are bringing our own boat, but we are having second thoughts.

I am unfamiliar with traditional water conditions.
            As stated above heavy snow this winter will be effecting the lake this spring, and it sounds like June is still considered early out their.

So, how bad will the lake really be?
            #1 reason to go west is the scenery...that includes beautiful blue water....will the runoff and possible flood water Stan the water?

How much debris? Hazardous??? Still surf and wake board?

More to come, thank you....

Mike

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate about bringing your boat at all. The water will probably still be a little chilly IMO.
              Storms can be pretty crazy so just watch the weather. You will have a great time. Enjoy the lake!
              Maybe try an AirBnB or VRBO in Page, instead of a hotel?

Comment

Just do it. Bring your boat. Put in at Wahweap, get your map and take off. Rainbow bridge will take up a good chunk of your day, but scenery along the way is great. Hit Labryinth and face canyon along the way. Stop by horseshoe bend on the way into town.

Comment

Originally posted by boonecragun View Post
                  Just do it. Bring your boat. Put in at Wahweap, get your map and take off. Rainbow bridge will take up a good chunk of your day, but scenery along the way is great. Hit Labryinth and face canyon along the way. Stop by horseshoe bend on the way into town.
                  You might get lost which is not a bad thing. Keep an eye on the water in front of you. Be especially careful when the light is flat, you won't see that rock 1 foot under, but during the day the water is quite clear and you can easily see stuff coming if you pay attention. GPS would be the best thing to have.

Rainbow bridge is about 40 miles from Wahweap. So if you can cruise at 30 MPH, you can get there in less than 2 hours. Then there is the hike to actually see it, which adds another hour, so although it is not an all day affair, it is a really great way to start. Then make your way back exploring, surfing and just being in awe.
                  Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I second the GPS. Pick up a handheld marine GPS/Chartplotter. It will show lake contours and will help you avoid the low spots. Don’t rely on the phone. No service. Pick up a handheld marine band radio as well.

Comment

Cold Water in early June??? How cold?

Comment

Average water temp for May is 63 and June is 72. We go in late July every year so maybe someone that has experience in early June can expand on their experience.
                        http://lakepowell.water-data.com/index2.php

Comment

June should be okay temperature wise. I'd much rather have the cooler nights and cooler water of June, than the 100* nights and warmer water of July/August. But we tent camp so that makes a big difference.

Comment

40 mile run=80+ miles to Rainbow and back...

Will a 2013 Tige' z3 make it that far on a full tank?

Comment

I would suspect a Z3 would get 10 GPH cruising at 30 MPH, so I think it is easily doable. Then just a couple of miles from Rainbow is Dangling Rope Marina, which has gas. I would fill up there, just to be safe.

My houseboat week used to be the first week of June. Weather can be variable, but is predictable, if that makes sense. The come out of nowhere 60 MPH winds don't usually happen in early June. Lake water temp is about 72 degrees then. I have seen 100 degree air days at that time and a day or two where the air didn't get above 70, once in the same week.
                              Last edited by talltigeguy; 02-25-2019, 08:05 PM.
                              Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Working...
                              X