Dash update?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash update?

I’ve been contemplating updating the wheel and dash on my old Tige. Was thinking of removing the “wood” trim and fiberglassing the back (broken in a few places around the screws), then painting or wrapping before I reinstall. Thinking paint is the fastest but probably scratch easily. Wrap takes forever and the trim is fairly thin (fear of more parts breaking).

Anyone done this? Or have suggestions?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would do a carbon fiber wrap.

Even the fake stuff like this is nice looking:

https://www.rvinyl.com/Black-4D-Carb...UaAlq1EALw_wcB
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I have not done it yet, but have purchased the carbon fiber wrap to do it. I like your idea of backing with fiberglass as mine has cracked around the oil pressure gauge and it will not hold it in any longer. I will post up on how it goes. Hopefully before summer starts.

Comment

Originally posted by laserfish View Post
        I have not done it yet, but have purchased the carbon fiber wrap to do it. I like your idea of backing with fiberglass as mine has cracked around the oil pressure gauge and it will not hold it in any longer. I will post up on how it goes. Hopefully before summer starts.
        Awesome. Thanks.

Anyone know if all the wiring needs to be removed to get the trim off, or does it just come off when the front screws are removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another option would also be plasti-dip which you can get in different colors. You'd have to tape the whole dash off but you could possibly get away with not having to even remove any of the gauge panels. Otherwise, as others mentioned here vinyl wrap would be the most common way.

Comment

I've done vinyl wrap that looked like carbon fiber on a center console part that held an egt sensor in a car and it looked good however there's a lot of detail to those gauge panels and wonder how long in the sun before it'll start peeling back.

had better luck with a good plastic primer and spray paint. messed with plasti-dip and if you are not wanting it to come off later, a good plastic paint will adhere better and last longer than plasti-dip.
            2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
            2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

You could hydro dip it.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
                You could hydro dip it.
                X2 - depending where you live there are a lot of people that do piece work. It will look a lot better that a wrap could on that shape

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X