No announcement yet.

onboard battery charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That seems totally overkill. The reversible pumps draw less than 15 amps each. So running 6 of them would be 90 amps for 5 minutes. Your batteries have issues if they cannot tolerate that. A high end stereo will pull more than 90 amps when turned up.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I think that even Moomba is getting ballast kings, not ballast puppys. I think closer to 19A nominal load. Problem is inrush current. When you first kick them on the amp draw is up there. Pretty sure thats why Jabsco specs a 20A fuse for a 12A draw on the puppys. Even at only 19A thats 114A draw nominal. That plus a cranking stereo at idle, and any other loads on is a pretty big hit. The other issue is the way Skiers is wiring their boats. They arent using any kind of an ACR/isolator. They are literally just running a 3 position switch and if you read the owners manual for both lines their recommendation was always to run on ONE battery and just switch between the two throughout your day and NOT to run in combine. I think this was partly due to Indmar saying that a 95A alternator was getting overworked trying to charge the whole bank in "combine". Maybe that stance has changed with the new 230A alternators.
      New MCs X series with "fast fill" option also will only let you fill while running and will even pop a warning at the screen and ask you to increase RPM to 1100 while filling when it sees voltage starting to go low
      Last edited by freeheel4life; 03-19-2019, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Mike, they have the drain holes. There's just a lot of water typically passing through.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
          I think that even Moomba is getting ballast kings, not ballast puppys. I think closer to 19A nominal load. Problem is inrush current. When you first kick them on the amp draw is up there. Pretty sure thats why Jabsco specs a 20A fuse for a 12A draw on the puppys. Even at only 19A thats 114A draw nominal. That plus a cranking stereo at idle, and any other loads on is a pretty big hit. The other issue is the way Skiers is wiring their boats. They arent using any kind of an ACR/isolator. They are literally just running a 3 position switch and if you read the owners manual for both lines their recommendation was always to run on ONE battery and just switch between the two throughout your day and NOT to run in combine. I think this was partly due to Indmar saying that a 95A alternator was getting overworked trying to charge the whole bank in "combine". Maybe that stance has changed with the new 230A alternators.
          New MCs X series with "fast fill" option also will only let you fill while running and will even pop a warning at the screen and ask you to increase RPM to 1100 while filling when it sees voltage starting to go low

We need a 'like' button around here so that I can appreciate the input without creating another post. Thank you for that information. I did not consider also that a resting boat with 100+ amps of ballast running might also be running another 100 amps of stereo, and how the switch itself is not made for that sort of juice, especially if you hit the starter while all of that is going.
          Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Got my tender installed over the weekend. Made a mount out of an old cutting board we had in the house that I had kept for a suckgate 2.0. Ended up installing it in the back compartment on the right side of the taps motor and back against the transom. Wanted it on the left side but the leads coming off are only 6' so I was 6" short from my farthest battery. Another project down!
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X