Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'07 24Ve reliability & advice wanted

Hi there,

Current 17' I/O owner looking to get into a surf boat. I'm looking to purchase a used 2007 24Ve with 200 hours. The boat looks excellently cared for and maintained. It has the 360hp engine and everything in working order. Is there anything specific to look for when doing a lake test? Are this series of boat overall reliable if taken care of? Any weak spots on the '07's? It's now a 12 year old boat but I like the looks and new boat prices are silly to me for my level of use. Any tips and advice for a potential new owner would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Vinyl, TAPS, TPS sensor on lever and the SPEED-SET touch pad are really it.

Hell of a surf boat with a great ride and handling. Tower is fairly solid.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

And I expect I' might need some extra ballast for surfing. which I hope y'all can help me with as well
      Total noob here

Comment

You will absolutely need more ballast for surfing. if it has no factory ballast, that a plus IMO. And yes, we can help with ballast
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I’ve had a 2006 24ve for 3 years and so far it’s been a great boat, very reliable. I don’t think there’s many differences between the 07 and 06. The bad thing with them is that the interior seems kind of cheap and is slowly falling apart, most of which can be easily fixed. Nevertheless the boat was worth the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 2006 24ve and bought it new. The vinyl can be a little touchy but ours has held up well with consistent wipe downs and 303 protectant applied at least 3 times per year. Our boat has the 340hp 5.7 engine. I think it’s the same block you have but they just tuned for a few more horses in 07. It’s been a great engine.

The taps actuator will go out at some point, but that is very common.

Steering cable will get stiff and need replaced if it hasn’t been yet. Kinda a pain to install but pretty straight forward.

Speedset absolutely sucks and that is the worst part of the boat. I have checked and at least I’m the 06 I cannot add stargazer or a better cruise control system. Speedset works but it is extremely finicky.

As far as ballast just search the forum for 24ve ballast and you’ll have all the info you will need.

Good luck I think you would really enjoy the boat!

Comment

The 24VE is a surf beast when set up properly! If it’s priced right it sounds like a score.
              The speed set in the 07 is different and definitely improved over the 06. You may have to replace the push button panel control (as Chptril mentioned) at some point but there is an improved, aftermarket version sold through a member here that is very affordable.
              I’ve got an 07’ 22Ve and mine is still going strong, original vinyl still in good shape, no issues with TAPS system, on its 3rd steering cable but that is pretty typical, I started having intermittent issues with my throttle but will be adjusting it before this summer to eliminate the problem. Check the big things, oil levels, condition, smell. Try to get a feel for how the boats been maintained. Have the drive and transmission fluid been changed regularly as well as the engine oil? Ask about the propeller shaft seal. On a boat that age that’s gonna be due for replacement sometime soon. Don’t forget to ask about the trailer, in particular the hub bearings and if they’ve been replaced or at least removed, cleaned, and serviced recently. (I do mine every year)
              Regarding ballast for surfing there are a ton of threads here on set up and installs but basically you’ll want to put at least a thousand lbs of water weight in each rear compartment with bags and a 750 lb U shaped bow bag is best IMO. You can always add lead wake bags around various spots in 50lb increments under your ballast bags to add more weight. Designing and installing a ballast system is easier than you’d think and will save you thousands over having one installed at a shop.
              Last edited by Jetdriver; 02-15-2019, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Bought an 07 24ve last year. Surfed all summer with 0 ballast. Only added a homemade suck gate to the side. Boat puts out a nice wave with just warm bodies sitting in the back. Only problem is the pocket is a little short. Gonna be hitting up chpthril in a couple of weeks for a ballast setup. I 2nd what jetdriver says. If it's in good shape for the right price. I absolutely love mine.

Comment

FYI on the SpeedSet - It was changed in '07 and is much much better then in '06 based on everything I've read. I reached out to Tige directly when I bought my '07 and their feedback was that the '07 models have been rock solid.

Comment

I agree that the 07 "Speed-Set" did function better then the 06 "Accu-Set", but, the touch pad build quality did not improve. This is the real issue with the Tige speed control.

It has been resolved thank you to forum member IDBoating. So no need to fear this on those older boats.

Comment

Even from the factory IDBoating's replacement speedset is pushed because it is much improved over the original one.
                      Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm about to finalize my purchase of the exact same boat. 2007 Tige 24Ve with ~900 hours. Has the speedset issue for sure. Will be purchasing the replacement kit asap. I'm coming from a 2001 Malibu Wakesetter 23 LSV. I'm hoping this boat will equivalent or better. Never been a surfer but plan to be soon.

1.jpg
                        2.jpg
                        3.jpg
                        4.jpg
                        5.jpg
                        6.jpg
                        7.jpg
                        8.jpg
                        9.jpg
                        10.jpg
                        Last edited by burniejm; 02-25-2019, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X