Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minneapolis Boat Show Thoughts...

All,

Every year we attend the Minneapolis Boat show, has pretty much anything and everything that can float or move on water. Of course I am like a moth to a flame when it comes to wake boats so I will share only those thoughts. This is of-course just my opinion!

In general: nothing earth changing or incredible this year from anyone. It was interesting to see different manufactures trying to fit into what they feel is their niche. Some do it better than others, that is what I will address... Most if not everyone is going with sub-floor ballast, that was the biggest trend along with touch screens for everything.

Personally, I really like what Tige, Nautique, and Moomba are doing this year. Tige has really stepped up their game in the last few years, I like the more conservative styling (no more hot pink crap) and the ZX, RZX, and R series of boats are a little of something for everyone. I thought the 55K R20 was the best deal of the show! That is a lot of boat for that price.... Consider this, we looked at some 20' Glastrons that were the same price. And in my mind, you get a lot more boat for the money with the Tige. Tige also was extremely smart in how they set up the helm, one touch screen, nothing else to fix or to complicate things. Very intuitive, and straight forward. Nothing flashing, just simplicity and I like that a lot and so does my wife! Tige checks the boxes in so many areas that are important to us such as: Race car style Captains seat ( I hate the cup style seats ). Single touch screen for simplicity, power tower which is great because we go in and out of the lift a lot, good sound system, LED lights, good looking interior, underwater LED's, ect.

Nautique just knows who they are and who their customers are... They make no bones about being extremely high end, have really nice interiors (like being in a yacht, but you pay for it). The G23 set the benchmark for that size of boat, and they added the power tower to the G-series so that was a nice touch (of course Tige did it first). They really don't have a "value" boat but they don't really try to tap that market anyway. So, if you have 200K stuffed under your couch and need something to buy, Nautique should be your first stop.

Moomba - (Skiers Choice) just knows who they are and who buys their boats. Matt Brown is the guy who designs boats for Moomba and he gets it and really knows who his key audience is. I think they did a great job with the new helm, autowake is the ONLY thing I wish my Tige had, it just works. The color choices and affordability make Moomba a really good choice if you are not Warren Buffett and still want to wake-surf on weekends.

Centurion new Fi boats were nice but they didn't seem to have the fit and finish that the other boats had in the same price range.

HEYDAY or what I call the WTF boat... My two cents - this thing is so ugly it's fugly. If you want something that looks like a tractor, and you want to use your IPAD as your helm, be my guest, the one at the show was 65K.

Varatti - made by Floe Intl... OMG - this thing was so low to the water it literally has zero leg room up front, your knees would be up to your nose. Very shallow in the back as well. I thought to myself - okay... if this is a value boat its okay, I would shop around but okay. Then I asked what it was selling for... 115K!!!!! I about hit the floor. If they sell 10 of these things all year I will be shocked! PS... I do not want to be the first person to be sitting in the bow when the driver accidentally turns into his own surf wave, she will go down.

Mastercraft - same old, same utility looking silver towers, more touch screens... not much else

Malibu - didn't spend a lot of time here. They look okay, some strange color combinations, still don't like their towers, friends have one and it doesn't impress me, always hitting our heads on the speakers. Lot's of what I saw last year, not a lot of changes.

There you have it... My two cents! Hope this helps those who couldn't get out to a show this year...

NG572
    Last edited by NG572; 01-30-2019, 02:33 PM.

Did they have a Montara surf toon?? We had one at our show. Supposedly it was just a prototype, but it was still very rough after crawling around and looking it over. TONS of people interested in it though. Crazy that they were ready to take orders based on a concept. Will see where that one goes.

Comment

I think there was a surf toon there because a buddy asked me if I had seen it. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to check it out. Interesting concept, not sure how they plan on pulling that one off. I would rather have both, a surf boat and a toon but of course that brings dollars into play. Darn money, always seems to be the issue... : )

Comment

Sounds like a good time. Upload some picture!

I totally agree tige has really stepped up the game on their boats and have a little bit of everything to offer.

Comment

A couple of pics from the show...

Comment

NG572 I would agree with you for the most part.

They had the new surfing pontoon at our boat show in Boise, not sure what its called. I thought it was a brilliant idea when I first saw ads for it but after looking at it in person and climbing around in it I realized that I would never want to spend that kind of money on something that is just not pleasing to look at. Just a floating box doesn't do much for me. I love wake boats and their lines, beautiful gel coats, towers, etc. I guess I came to realize I wont be rocking a pontoon anytime soon.

I considered a FI prior to buying an R23. The price and dealer support was what made me choose Tige. Our Centurion dealer here sucks. I also dislike how the touch screen is behind the wheel on the FI, you have to reach over the wheel to change anything. Tige's offset screen on the right makes so much more sense. However I think the new Centurions have the nicest looking gel coats. Flawless, I could find flaws in pretty much all the other boats.

I think the Axis and Supremes this year have really upped their game. deeper hulls, both looking less budget oriented than before.

Everything else spot on, Heydays are weird, Natiques are nice but overpriced, Mastercraft's also overpriced and kind of blah, Malibu supposedly sell more boats than anybody but I couldn't tell you why.??

Comment

Originally posted by NG572 View Post
              In general: nothing earth changing or incredible this year from anyone. It was interesting to see different manufactures trying to fit into what they feel is their niche.
              What I find interesting about the whole boat show scene is that they don't bring their next-year models to these shows! Shows going on right now have boats from the 2018-2019 model year. Meanwhile, manufacturers are hard at work back at the factories putting the finishing touches on model year 2019-2020 which will start rolling down the lines in June-July. That's just around the corner! The shows are pushing 6-12 month old designs but production will be building NEXT year's models in just a few months.

Granted, the manufacturers cannot show what they don't have, and all the preproduction units are cranked out in the Spring, so what you see is pretty much all they can show you this time of year. But still... just knowing that the next new shiny thing is only a few months away... not sure I could commit to a six-figure purchase knowing that.

Comment

I think part of the reason on having 6-12 month old designs is getting the boat show discounts. Dealers want to clear out the inventory to make room for those new ones to come in for summer. The majority of boat show buyers probably aren't too concerned about what is going to come out next if what they are getting is a good deal on a more than sufficient boat.

Comment

I think the OP is exactly correct. The heyday was the dumbest thing i have ever saw. The one at our show had a suction cup suck gate attached to it.. all for 65k and it looks like someone ran it into a dumpster that was on fire. What a joke and they will NEVER be taken seriously. What are they thinking honestly i have no idea.

And then there was the Floe boat Varrati or whatever. It looked like a bass boat cross over. It did look nice, sporty, but the one at our show was $125k. I would certainly look at Tige, Moomba, Supra or basically ANY other brand before i would even consider that unproven boat. Now, if they came in at 60k all day, then it would be an option for some people. But to jump right in at premium pricing thats a huge risk for a buyer when they others are proven.

Tige and moomba have a great showing. Moomba has really stepped up their game. Interior vinyl is the supra vinyl from last year, autowake, and great fit and finish overall compared to other budget boats. Similar to Tige. Nice layout, higher quality materials etc.. proven surf system. The only thing holding back Tige especially in my area is dealer support. We used to have 2-3 dealers now down to one.

Malibu IMO has taken a step back in quality. Took some pics of the vinyl on the interior and nothing lined up.. stitching wasn't lining up, wavy through out.. and a high price tag come with a dash that obstructs your view since it comes up half way thru the front glass. Axis, plastic cup holders that come right out, in fact on one of the models they were missing. Think someone took a few home because they flew out of their boat when towing. Axis also has a tiny 2.5" touch screen that's black and white and not up to par with what you get with moomba and Tige for similar pricing.

MC - MC is just over priced. Their towers look out of place until you get into the X series where pricing really goes up. But they look like an after thought in the NXT and XT models. They sit to far back and you have to really duck when entering from the back. I mean really duck down if you are over 5'11" in height. There are also stocking the standard GDI 5000 motor which is 320 hp. Others are offering 350 hp (like the 400 raptor) with more torque as their standard motor. The XT20 weighs 4600 lbs with a 320 hp motor? No thanks, it may do okay, but not good enough. Its like buying a 20' bass boat that comes with a 90hp and not the 150 hp it should have. Not sure if anyone noticed but try sitting in front of the ZFT0 tower on the NXT or XT,, you can't, you hit the back of your neck on the drop handles.

natique- Stellar boats, but if you don't have $150k stop looking. I love Natique, but just can't justify the costs. But a solid boat.
                  Last edited by bobcat1973; 01-29-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                    I think part of the reason on having 6-12 month old designs is getting the boat show discounts. Dealers want to clear out the inventory to make room for those new ones to come in for summer. The majority of boat show buyers probably aren't too concerned about what is going to come out next if what they are getting is a good deal on a more than sufficient boat.
                    I'm right there with you on the "sufficient boat"! But there seem to be a lot of people for whom the boat is a "fashion accessory" too and those folks just gotta have the latest, greatest, shinyist, glamorous boat on the water. Those are the folks I was thinking about.

Comment

Originally posted by bobcat1973 View Post
                      MC - MC is just over priced. Their towers look out of place until you get into the X series where pricing really goes up. But they look like an after thought in the NXT and XT models. They sit to far back and you have to really duck when entering from the back. I mean really duck down if you are over 5'11" in height. There are also stocking the standard GDI 5000 motor which is 320 hp. Others are offering 350 hp (like the 400 raptor) with more torque as their standard motor. The XT20 weighs 4600 lbs with a 320 hp motor? No thanks, it may do okay, but not good enough. Its like buying a 20' bass boat that comes with a 90hp and not the 150 hp it should have. Not sure if anyone noticed but try sitting in front of the ZFT0 tower on the NXT or XT,, you can't, you hit the back of your neck on the drop handles.
                      This is just how your local MC dealer is choosing to option their inventory builds. You can option the 6000GDI into a 190 Prostar if you want it(we have two locally on a private lake). Sounds like maybe the dealer may be out of touch with their market or saving on inventory costs and planning on people custom ordering if they want more power, who knows. Im also not a fan. The ZFT4 tower is garbage and the clamping racks rattle unless there is something in clamped in the racks. They certainly dont justify the price tag in my mind.

Comment

Boat show pic fix.jpg

Comment

Does anyone know how to rotate the stupid pictures... It's driving me to drink!

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                            This is just how your local MC dealer is choosing to option their inventory builds. You can option the 6000GDI into a 190 Prostar if you want it(we have two locally on a private lake). Sounds like maybe the dealer may be out of touch with their market or saving on inventory costs and planning on people custom ordering if they want more power, who knows. Im also not a fan. The ZFT4 tower is garbage and the clamping racks rattle unless there is something in clamped in the racks. They certainly dont justify the price tag in my mind.

Yes, the dealer is building them that way, but for 107k i would expect the 5500 which is equal to the Raptor 400. But thats a large upcharge. Again, its like that beautiful bass boat with the 90 hp on it, but you know deep down its not enough to power the boat. Its the bait and switch approach. Also, raptor is doing 7 year warranty on all and Ilmor is only 5 yr on the 5000/5500 and 7 year on the 6000 and up as an incentive to push you to the bigger more costly options. I just don't like this approach. The 5000 should be for the NXT NOT the XT lineup.

Comment

A couple more comments.

You said:
                              Originally posted by NG572 View Post
                              HEYDAY or what I call the WTF boat... want to use your IPAD as your helm, be my guest
                              ...yet you also said:
                              extremely smart in how they set up the helm, one touch screen, nothing else to fix or to complicate things. Very intuitive, and straight forward. Nothing flashing, just simplicity and I like that a lot and so does my wife!
                              Seems like using the tablet as the helm meets your criteria...? Perhaps if the tablet were more attractively integrated into the helm? If the tablet were installed INTO the helm like the dedicated touchscreens are today, would anyone really care that it was a "tablet" and not a "custom touchscreen"? They could look and function exactly the same.

I'll admit some bias here, but objectively: We see a lot of threads on this and other boating forums complaining about failed touchscreens, the extremely high cost of replacing them, being stuck with just a single source of replacements, delays in obtaining them, etc. All of those problems disappear on the Heyday. If your touchscreen fails, you can buy a replacement - today - at any of a dozen stores within a short drive of your house for a couple hundred dollars and you're back on the water.

Maybe all that needs to happen is that it needs to be packaged better. Fix the obvious appearance issues and Heyday's tablet ain't the dumbest idea out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X