Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to Buy an R&D Boat...

Here's something a little different.

WakeTouch LLC is in need of another R&D boat. A couple of our upcoming products need a new platform for development and our other boats are busy doing other things.

It's hard to find an R&D boat in normal classifieds because sellers usually clean things, fix things, and make the boat as nice as possible to drive up its perceived value and thus selling price. For R&D purposes, though, we don't care what it looks like. We don't care if it even HAS a stereo system, and if it has one we don't care if it's broken because we'll never use it. We don't care if the upholstery is shredded, or even missing. We don't care if the carpet is moldy, or if the floor is bare fiberglass because someone ripped out the moldy carpet. We don't care if the gelcoat is cloudy or scratched. We probably don't care if most of the gauges don't work. We don't care if the interior and/or exterior lighting is broken because we work in the daytime. This isn't a party boat! All of the things that normal sellers fix up are the things we don't care about and don't want to pay for.

What DO we need?

1) 20-24 foot, v-drive, 2007+ (so the engine has CAN).
    2) Solid, reliable hull. No leaks, no cracks, nothing structural that needs attention.
    3) Solid, reliable engine and drivetrain. High hours are fine if the maintenance has been good.
    4) Bare minimum helm controls: Workable steering, throttle, ignition.
    5) The ability to test drive it in water before purchase to confirm items 1-4.

Get the picture? We need a hull with a 2007+ drivetrain and the minimum components to make a wake behind it. We don't want to spend time fixing leaks, fixing engine or transmission problems, etc. That time needs to be spent working on our new products. So a total junker, a recovered sunken salvage insurance writeoff, isn't the right answer. But a "project boat" isn't the right answer either. We're probably going to gut its interior anyway, ripping out everything that isn't structural, so we have maximum accessibility to the stuff we're adding for research purposes.

Folks don't generally advertise a boat like this. It's probably sitting in the driveway, or in the back of the dealer lot, with someone glancing at it once in a while saying "Maybe I'll just part that out someday". But there's so much "wrong" that they never quite get started. Well, all that "wrong" stuff might just make it "right" for us.

It doesn't have to be a Tige. Any manufacturer is fine as long as it meets #1-5 above.

If you know of a boat like this, or can direct us to one, please PM me (IDBoating) or Ewok.

Thanks!
    Last edited by IDBoating; 12-30-2018, 10:09 PM.

How much are you willing to spend? That would definitely narrow it down a little bit more.

I’ve been watching this boat for what seems like over a year.

https://www.martinmotorsports-marine...OwnedInventory

Comment

$20K is the target. Perhaps $25K if things are in "better" condition or missing fewer parts. Around here folks want $30K+ for ancient units "that have been restored to factory-new condition" but we don't want to pay for $5-10K of restoration work, new upholstery, etc. when it absolutely doesn't matter for our purposes and will probably get ripped out anyway.

EDIT: That listing looks nice, and we'd LOVE another 24Ve hull, but for $40K it ought to be great! And this listing is a classic example of what I said above... just look at that list of features and options and accessories they use to justify the price. Heck, they're even bragging about the trailer. Most of that list is wasted on our application.
      Last edited by IDBoating; 12-31-2018, 12:06 AM.

Comment

That’s Canadian dollars. 27k usd. Still probably a bit higher than you want as you don’t care for the options.

Comment

only inboards has several just north of 25k that are newer than 2006. everything's negotiable so just start dialing and see where you end up price wise.
          not bad:
          https://www.onlyinboards.com/2007-Su...ana-87156.aspx
          2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
          2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
            That’s Canadian dollars. 27k usd. Still probably a bit higher than you want as you don’t care for the options.
            Good point. Probably can't water test up there this time of year, but still a shot we could get the price down to something reasonable.

Originally posted by sandm View Post
            only inboards has several just north of 25k that are newer than 2006. everything's negotiable so just start dialing and see where you end up price wise.
            I forgot about OnlyInboards, thanks!

Comment

Does your target $$$ include shipping? Ill look at what some of our local dealers have. Our spring boat show is 3 weeks away, so trades to start coming in as well.

Also, have you put this social medial, like FB? Id be glad to share it for you.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                Does your target $$$ include shipping? Ill look at what some of our local dealers have. Our spring boat show is 3 weeks away, so trades to start coming in as well.
                No, I'm willing to keep shipping separate. We might drive to get it, since we need to do an in-water test anyway. Might trailer it back ourselves.

Also, have you put this social medial, like FB? Id be glad to share it for you.
                Nope, I don't even have a FaceBook account. By all means, I'd appreciate any resources you can bring to bear on the problem. Thanks!

Comment

I have a 2002 20v.
                  600 hours
                  upholstery in great shape
                  gelcoat in great shape
                  wake makers reversible ballast system
                  garage kept its whole life

Trailer
                  - not the best shape

$20k Let me know and I will send pics

Comment

Originally posted by CJAuster View Post
                    I have a 2002 20v.
                    Thank you, but:
                    1) 20-24 foot, v-drive, 2007+ (so the engine has CAN).

Comment

Any interest in a 2007 20V with 1395 hours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Price?

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
                          Price?
                          I PMd you the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by james18 View Post
                            I PMd you the price.
                            Got your PM and responded. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by IDBoating View Post
                              Got your PM and responded. Thanks!
                              Registered here but it won’t let me send a PM. Have this boat listed if you want to contact me.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread....w-Braunfels-TX

Comment

Working...
                              X