House/Garage Renovation!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House/Garage Renovation!

Well, with boating season being done and all of us needing something to talk about I figured I'd post this. After discussing and planning for quite some time I'm now in for permit to remove the existing triple car garage on the front of my house and rebuild.

In the summer my boat lives in my driveway and in the winter it lives in my buddies shop that lives just behind me. I absolutely hate having my boat outside open to the elements with little security. I tell everyone. Part of my love for boating is being out on the water and the other half is adding all the extra's and maintaining it. I already have a laundry list of things I've done to it and have more planned. Most seasons I bring the boat home at the end of March or the beginning of April and have to cram to get all of my maintenance and other projects done before I actually get out and use it. This usually means waiting for a nice dry day or setting up a bunch of tarps and lights so I can be outside. My friends shop is only 200' away from my house but with 3 young boys and a wife that works nights (nurse) I don't have the ability to get away or be gone for long. Having my boat inside at my own home will change all of that.

I will be adding 9' to the the depth and plan on installing a 10'x20' industrial door with 12' ceilings. Upstairs we will be removing a bathroom to make a new hallway which will lead to a new bedroom/rec room and bathroom above the garage. You'll see that with coming out the front the house on the left side is on an angle. This is do to the existing property line and setback and the reason I've gone to a single large door.
    Attached Files

In the picture's attached you can see the existing garage line (red) and the new line (blue) along with a rendering to what it will look like once finished. Don't pay attention to the colors as that will be changing. I also have my 76 AMC Pacer (was my Grandma's) that will be parking beside the boat. Future plan is for a lift to go in as I'd like to someday have a 63 Impala so I can stack the two cars.

Anyone else done this and have recommendation as to what to do or not do? I do IT/Communications for a living so I will be wiring for camera's outside, also going to wire for permanent LED strips for the backside of the fascia. No more putting up Christmas lights for this guy. For the garage itself I plan on putting 2 pairs of ceiling speakers in as well. The main gas feed is outside the garage currently so I'm going to plumb for a box heater. Debating if I put an exhaust fan over the boat or wire in a fan as I saw JohnnieMo? did in his carport.

Anyway, permit application just went in so hoping to start on all of this in the spring sometime.
    Attached Files

Comment

That is going to be an awesome renovation. I have a friend that collects cars and the one thing I like that he did to save space where he stores his vehicles is used single post lifts(installed with the legs towards the wall so there are no obstructions in the middle of the shop). Im pretty sure he said they had to cut concrete out and pour in a stronger concrete after so may be something to look into before any mud is poured. I know they make some movable single post lifts as well. Good luck with the build. Cant wait to see the finished product.

Its just my own personal shop dreams for boats, but central vacuum system with overhead hose drops would be the bees knees for cleaning the boat, though the old Shop Vac does just fine too. Would certainly save time and be a lot nicer that rolling hose and cords every time you need it. In a perfect world...

Comment

Looks awesome! Definitelly something that would be sweet to have, nothing beats having your boat at home. That’ll probably bring your house value up a ton especially being in Vancouver area.

The only part that I might change would be the width of the previous graarge by the closet, is it wide enough to get the boat next to the closet? That way you can push the boat out of that way for the winter and not have to worry about anything getting in the way and possibly having 2 cars on the fooor.

Comment

^ that corner is where I have my tool bench currently and is also only 9’ wide so I wouldn’t be able to get the all the way inthat back corner. The whole left side today is where I keep all my boards and such as well. Biggest issue is still the property line on that side and my set backs. Also slopes down so it would be a lot of foundation going in. That was my original idea to push that side out.

Freeheel4life: central vac wouldn’t be hard at all as the main unit is already in my garage so it would be easy to run some additional connections. Didn’t think of that. Thanks, something else to consider!

Comment

When I built my house, spent a lot of time analyzing garage space, utilization, electrical placement. Ended up doing double 28’x32’ attached garages and a detached 34’x40’ shop. Can never go wrong with space, I know you are constrained by lot space and setbacks, but man it would be nice to be able to offset the boat to either left or right in the garage rather then have it in the center and constantly walking around it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Am I wrong in thinking that the existing engineered beam running left to right that is noted will remain, will this hit in the middle of the swim platform? Will there be a post holding this up?

Garage door height? I think you will need to do a 12' tall door unless you plan on lowering your tower each time you put it away which is a pain in the butt by yourself.

I do remodeling for a living and I think there maybe a better options to consider for dry boat storage and additional bedroom space. I think this is a lot of money to be spending and I am NOT crazy about the overall design. I have some ideas but not sure they will work without seeing a print with measurements.

Just my $.02

Comment

I would definitely want my boat out of the way. What about if you pushed the corner of the closet in a ft or so to make the rear garage 10-11ft. That way you can get the boat in there and have everything all out of the way and protected for the winter.
                C6C1B5E0-D03A-4C01-BF63-3926AFB8A5A2.jpg

Do you know the height of your boat? I would guess it’s pretty close to just above 10’, I would go double check that and see if you can squeeze a 11ft door.

Comment

I think most of these boats are over 11' on trailer with tower up. A 10' door would likely require lowering the tower to get through, but the 12' would let you back right in. Not sure if this tall of a building is feasible.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The existing engineered beam will be remaining. Currently there is a post as part of the little pony wall. The plan is to fully span left to right to remove that post as it would be in the way of the boat. My boat on trailer is 9.5" approximately and currently has no issue going through my buddies 10' door with the tower up. If a newer boat at some point sits that much higher then tower down to go in will have to be the case. I can put my tower down by myself without issue.

Yes, the boat is right down the center today. I'm thinking in winter I could push it all the way right....until I ever get a lift. The whole left side today is where I store all my boards, the kids have their bikes and tool bench in the back corner so I'll never get full utilization of a triple. Besides, at 29' trying to go 3 wide with a boat is damn tight and I'd have kids smashing doors on either my Pacer or boat trailer daily.

I can't go in to the house more as it steps up a about a foot and I have a basement with a suite.
                    Attached Files

Comment

my 02 fwiw.. I would not go from a 3 car to a 2 car as it'll affect resale but if you are happy with it and plan on staying for the long haul, it's your pad and do what you feel is best for you..

we are getting ready to build-with me as the general- so I feel your pain you will go through. if this was my place and redoing the garage, I would suggest moving the 2 car to the outside of the garage and the single car against the wall to the front door of the house. it makes it MUCH easier to back the boat in and still leaves you with a true 3 car. a house I built a few years ago had this and our design for the next does the same thing.

good luck and keep plenty of beer around for the stresses you have coming
                      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

My uncle built a new home 2yrs ago. He spent a lot of time designing the garage for his boat and dirtbike. Knowing he was going to spend a lot of time in there working on his toys, he decided to install a waterless urinal. I thought this was kinda silly but, after spending some time in his garage, it’s an awesome upgrade. I’m looking at putting one in my garage.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001T...s+urinal&psc=1
                        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I can't really disagree regarding resale. I also believe that adding the extra depth and height would quickly make up for it. I've almost doubled my money owning the house the last 5 years and will be in this house for at least another 20. I live 5 minutes from my office which is a family business so I won't be going anywhere. The way my garage is set up it's a useless 3 car garage as it has a wall between the single and the double with a 7' wide door. When I first moved in I had my Pacer parked on that side and quickly realized it was a pain. You had to park hard to one side and could still barely open the door to get out.

Comment

Well, we are full steam ahead with the renovation. Existing garage is currently coming down as we speak. New footings are in and will be framing back up shortly. Orange conduit (will get cut down) is where the new post will come down over the front walkway.
                            Attached Files

Comment

if you don't mind whats the budget for this project, I have built lots of stuff in the last 20 years and these days when I price something it just sets me back lol

Comment

Working...
                              X