My winter project build thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My winter project build thread!

This forum has been a great place. I bought my first boat in August of 2017. A 2008 Tige Z1 with 44 hours on a new motor. I had a great time with it in 2017 and 2018. My family loves it, everyone is hooked on wakesurfing. So about the boat! I bought it and used it for the short time in 2017. Last winter I replaced steering cable, fuel filter, added 2 batteries(thanks chpthrl), full clean, changed all fluids, and probably a couple small things I am forgetting. We used the hell out of it this summer. Surfed our asses off, I had my first child in July and things slowed down a bit but my brother in law and I still got out quite a bit. We have already been to two boat shows and my wife almost had me convinced on buying a new G23. I know it’s not a Tige but local dealership is a concern for me. I’m in Maryland. I decided so far not to buy the G23 and I am going to make a lot of improvements to the Z over this winter in hopes to keep it in the family for at least a few more years. Here is the list of things to be done this winter then I will post progress pics as I go.

2018-19 winter project list includes

-Removing moldy carpet from entire boat
    -Replacing with Eva teak flooring in main floor and all under seat storage will be coated with garage epoxy paint.
    - Re wiring battery setup and stereo system
    - Adding rgb led to all speakers and cup holders
    - Replacing courtesy lights
    - new engine dividers with extended storage department
    - Adding amp rack with protection from bags entering storage
    - Adding 2 Rev 10s
    - Retrifitting the Pro 80 canisters with Revo 8s (the pro 80s are dry rotting)
    - going to try and replace my 6 in boats with revo 6s ( last on the list)

I hope you guys enjoy my journey this winter. Here are the pics
    Having trouble getting pics uploaded I will see what I can do.

Here comes the pictures!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A bunch going on this winter!

- I am adding an addition to the shop with a 12x12 door for the boat.
        - I have about 48 different projects going on with the boat

If you have questions please ask. It’s too much for me to list. The floor will be finished with Amazon “sea dek” or sea dek on a budget. I covered my fiberglass floor in black tile clad and did the walls in herculiner. Overall I have no idea how it will hold up but it is fantastic right now! The floor turned out great!

The system upgrade includes
        -mc1 head unit
        -remote at the helm and at transom
        -6 revo 6 in boats
        -12” WS FA sub
        - two rev 10s
        -Sdx6 and sdx4
        -new Tige speedset
        -all new speaker wiring and rgb wiring
        -basically I have taken out a majority of the factory stereo wiring and am redoing it!

Ballast upgrade includes
        -3 reversible pumps
        -3 thru hulls
        -3 vent holes
        - two locker sacs and a bow sac(already had these, was manual filling with sumo

Bunch of other smaller projects.. I’ll continue to post pictures as I can.

Comment

Way to get ambitious! I’ve wanted to rip out my carpet since I first got my boat, maybe this is the year. I’ve mostly been hung up how to best prep the floor for the EVA decking. I also thought about using deckadence in the cockpit. What did you use to remove all the carpet and glue remnants, what was the process like? Chemicals used, grit of sandpaper, etc..
          What are you finishing the cockpit floor with? Are you going to gel coat it or just using epoxy? I know it needs to be nice and flat in order for the EVA type foam flooring to stick well.
          Thanks!

Comment

Jetdriver: Tile Clad is Awesome but is a tough product to use in the winter. You need the room to be atleast 60 degrees for a few days.. I wont know how well the eva will stick but it is 3m backing. I will add more pictures of the center floor tonight. Its not perfectly smooth but I am going to give it a shot. If it fails I will just do deckadence next year..

The carpet was a huge pain in the a$$. If I had to do it over again I would only take the carpet off the floor and leave it everywhere else. I would spray the carpet throughly with acetone using a garden sprayer and let it soak... then pull it up. I had those carpet fibers everywhere and they were virtually impossible to get off. I used a wire brush attatchment to a grinder.. that would just smear the glu everywhere.. I found a little curved scraper that worked the best but it was hell... needless to say I didnt get all the carpet up.. I got majority! lol

Also I would use more epoxy but Tile clad is expensive.. If I had enough to do a second thick layer it would have become very smooth!

Using the acetone would be a huge help... I didnt figure that out until the end... let the carpet soak then pull it up.

Comment

Looking awesome man. How does the stereo equipment block fit into the grand scheme of things? I love the mock up. Is it going into the back of the boat as a divider on the engine compartment? Or in a forward storage locker?

Comment

Thanks Carranza, that’s the info I was looking for! I can imagine the carpet being a bit$h on the floor much less the angled surfaces. Thanks for the acetone tip!
                I did my swim deck with EVA from a Chinese company called Marine Deck Factory (guessing they are a supplier for a lot of these other more expensive options, they just don’t do all the fancy custom milling like sea deck and the like)
                I paid $300 for 5 big rolls to my door last year. It sticks really well on gel coat FYI but surface prep and warm temperature are key.

Comment

Brent, The amp rack is going in the factory location on the wall. I am slighlty concerned about the weight and screwing it into that wall, I believe I can only go about a half inch deep and I only have 4 mounting locations. We will see how it plays out.

Jetdriver, Mine is from Marine Deck Factory as well. I bought 10 rolls I am excited to see how it turns out.

Comment

The floor is surprisingly flat. It doesn’t look as good in pictures as it is already dirty with metal shavings and shoe dust

Comment

What about the center hatch and the aluminum framework around it?

Comment

I’m hoping it sticks to that without issue..

Comment

looking good so for cant wait to see the finished product.

Comment

When you mount the amp rack, You could consider mounting wood blocks with epoxy or fiberglass to the hull for increased depth for the screws!

Comment

Bamer - yes I may throw some epoxy behind it.. hard to tell but I already have mounting blocks... I know the stock location has about an inch but I don’t want to push it.. if it goes through it’s in the walkway.

Here is what I worked on today.

Got the surf racks installed

Also worked on the battery compartment..

Comment

Working...
                              X