New floor! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New floor! Help!

So I just pulled the moldy carpet in my 08 Z1 in an effort to put down some gator step. I have not ordered anything yet but I am confused at what I need to do. The floor is unfished. What direction should I go?

I’m assuming you’re talking about the storage compartments? If it were me I’d sand them down make it nice and smooth, buy the sheets of gatorstep and cut them to be exact fit with no exposed gel coat showing.

Comment

My center portion is not finished either... along with the storage units..

Comment

You would either need to get a template kit from Gatorstep and template it to fit just over the wood and butt to the gel. Or fill the floor flush to the gelcoat and template a piece to cover all of it. At least thats how Ive always imagined doing it. Havent had a customer come in and ask for this mod. Ive also thought that gluing down or snap in deckadence/miners moss would be a cool mod too for these vintages. Just depends on preference and how much you want to spend.

Assuming that you are trying to get in on the group buy. I would contact Gatorstep soon if you are going to have to template it and are going that route.

Comment

I would sand them down and use West systems, then gator step. I like to paint the wood with a couple coats of cheep spray paint before you West System. It helps with color. West System is easy to use when you get the pumps 1 pump resin 1 pump hardener. The ratio are done with the pumps. West System is not UV stable so it must be covered or used in an area that is NOT exposed to sunlight. Your lockers would be fine Unless you leave them open all the time in the sun. Or cover them with gator step. (your Good)
          Pretty easy to apply. Mix like 5-6 pumps (of each) in a small tupperware roll it on with a 6 inch roller. I am assuming you have raw wood,or fiberglass covered raw wood. No gelcoat. This is my boat. The center is spray painted first. Then West system. It was raw wood. The sides are fiberglass over wood. I tried the color you can buy for the West system. It didn't work as well spray paint. (As you can see) Some day when I remove the new carpet I will spray paint first then add W.S over the top. Then gator step.
          IMG_1019.jpg

Comment

Is there a kit? I was just looking at west systems. Will it be smooth enough to allow the gator step to adhere?

Comment

Yes goes on like paint. super smooth. I will see if I can find you a pic of something I have used it on. Up close shot. So this has 2 coats of W.S. Then a coat or 2 of varnish for UV protection.
              IMG_2432.jpg
              Last edited by gumby; 11-05-2018, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Ok so I will need to level out the floor and smooth it out any then apply west SYSTEM Epoxy

Comment

I love the stuff. So easy to work with. I have tried fiberglass so messy and hard to work with. They say you can apply It over fiberglass mat. I have never tried it but working on a project now where I might have to try it. I like the fact you don't have to guess your mix.Did I mix it to hot, or not hot enough.It takes all that out of it. Now if I could just talk JB weld into pumps. LOL If you do use it READ THE PUMP INSTRUCTIONS make sure you get the right pump and tubes together. Made that mistake once. Not the end of the world. Just thought I knew and oops I didn't. It will stay good along time with the pump installed as long as it doesn't freeze.
                  Last edited by gumby; 11-05-2018, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X