Motor dies once warmed up fuel issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor dies once warmed up fuel issue

I’m hoping someone can help us. We have a 2001 2100V Limited we are original owners have serviced our boat every year. Have never had any problems with our whip until just recently. We started experiencing start up issues when restarting boat mid day. At launch no problem what so ever. But after parking hanging out then trying to go back out for riding boat would not fire unless I put it in nuetral and gassed it while turning ignition. We took it in for years with no codes coming up and no diagnosis.

Fast forward to this summer. Out boating and all of a sudden it felt like we ran out of gas, had 3/4 tank. boat dead in the water. Could smell gas and temperature hotter than normal. White Smoke came out of exhaust pipes smelled like gas. Would not fire back up. Took it to local boat shop the only one where we live. They said we lost our impeller so they replaced tested said it ran perfect no codes. We went out to the lake boat started right up drove okay kind of shuttering not much power once boat warmed up, again felt like we ran out of gas white smoke smelt like gas. Back to shop now they test fuel pressure, low gas psi so we had them put on new fuel pump. Took boat out yesterday fired right up ran like a dream like new amazing what gas psi does for ya!! Went just outside no wake zone a few laps, didn’t want to have to be towed in again. Felt confident boat was running like new. We started to head out and about 10 minutes in going about 37 mph the boat did it AGAIN started running as if we were running out of gas smoking smelled like gas. But didn’t die and because it wasn’t getting hot I managed to get us to docks. Before we loaded it up on trailer I tried to see if it would start & again NO!

I’m hoping someone has had this happen and knows exactly what the fix is we have dropped $3,000 and have not been successful with repairs. We’re actually going to make the 2 hour drive this week to take it to Tigé Phoenix. But I’m hoping to have something for them to look for. Feeling frustrated. Have never had a problem with our boat until the Tigé dealer in so cal (no longer affiliated with Tigé) last serviced our boat. They over filled our engine oil by a quart. They under filled our v drive fluid. We don’t believe they changed our impeller. And they are who said we had no codes and couldn’t locate our fuel issues we originally were experiencing.

We have always run 91 octane and we use our boat all the time. Has 775 hours. Thanks in advance sorry for such a long post. Just trying to give all the info!
    Last edited by Bowen; 10-30-2018, 01:48 AM.

When was the last time/or have you ever changed the module in the distributor? If not I would start there. You are at the amount of hours where those type of things are starting to get old. WOW $3000 is a lot of money. Even at $125/hour not sure what all you had done. The module is about $90 bucks takes about 20 min to put in IF it gives you trouble. 10 if it doesn't . It should fix your problem. You might think about getting IAC for a spare It will be next. IMO. It costs about $100 bucks again 20 min to put on. If it gives you trouble. Take it from a guy who has a 2000 2100v with 800+ on it. When the fuel pump went out on mine I just did it all. fuel pump, module, IAC, MAP sensor, TPS, Cap Rotor, Plugs. I don't know what that would cost you to have all that done.I would think less than 3 grand. I might be wrong.

Comment

Thank you. I’m not sure if we have had those parts done. But when we take it in I’ll request to have them replaced. We have taken it in for service annually. Whatever is recommended we do. Impeller every year. But the last full service done in so cal I’m not sure what was done. They charged us $568 plus tax & shop parts. But they ruined our boat it was a new owner to a once reputable Tigé dealer.

Then we took it to another boat shop because we moved to a different state, after breaking down and it was $997 to basically do the service over and troubleshooting and some other repairs from the impeller collapsing a hose. Then we broke down again and had to get fuel pump installed so $1,100. That is how we got to the almost $3,000. Not to mention towing our boat 2 hours one way to the lake to break down in 15 minutes 3 times now. So we are over $3k and haven’t gotten to use it. It sucks because if this could of been resolved in So Cal for a few hundred not to mention crying kids now afraid to go boating. Just so frustrating.

Thanks again is there anything else you can think of that we should have replaced. We are towing it to Phoenix this Friday and having them do a full service make sure the fuel pump we had installed is good do the parts you mentioned and anything else recommended. We love our Tigé it’s still like brand new and we need to get her up and running again she even runs like new lol when she’s running!!

Comment

Don't get me wrong I don't think you need all those parts the module is the part I think you need. If you don't work on your boat your self and drag it 2 hours to get it worked on. It might be worth it to get it all done.or at least the module and IAC. The MAP and TPS,are as easy as changing a light bulb. and I say all of this assuming you have a good fuel pump.(Good fuel pressure)

Comment

At this point what’s another grand haha! Jk... but seriously I’m so tired of the wasted time and gas money and stress on my kids that it’ll be easier replacing everything. The fuel pump is new so it should be good. Also we are going to a Tigé dealer fingers crossed supposedly the best in Phoenix. I’ll update once we are up and running. Hopefully it’s as easy just replacing a few parts. Thanks again gumby

Comment

Gumbys right on and the parts he mentioned are not only relatively easy to change but not an arm and a leg either to purchase yourself Lots of help around here. Only other thing I could think of is a vacuum leak at high temp affecting fuel pressure regulator that only shows up at high temp but thats reaching.
            Also, if your impeller did truly fail and you had an overheat a leakdown test might be in order.

If it truly did run fine on a trailer with a fake a lake in the shop then theres something odd in this equation. Maybe even a stuck thermostat that led to your first complaint. Start of your first post sounds like classic vapor lock and then evolves into an overheat. BUT it sounds like you doubt a lot of the diagnosis and work done before.

Just FYI the Merc 350 Mag MPI that your boat likely has was a pretty common application and there is likely a much closer shop to you qualified to handle your situation(Id be looking at reputable Mercury dealers in your area that arent predominately outboard experienced). This isnt a Tige specific engine or issue and researching a closer shop with better reviews and knowledge may save you some fuel $.

Hopefully Boatwakes weighs in as he is near you geographically (I think).
            Last edited by freeheel4life; 10-31-2018, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Bowen, from your description it sounds like the ignition module in the distributor. They present with several different symptoms but if you're smelling excess fuel in the exhaust, that usually points to an ignition issue. Keep us posted!
              Fixing everyone elses boat just so I can use mine...

Comment

Thank you everyone. We took it to Tigé Germaine’s Marine in Mesa. Even though it was 4 hrs drive round trip. They have a test tank and also if need be a lake to test in. We only have 1 boat shop where we live. They are great but we have spent 2k there and still dead in water. So fingers crossed we get our Whip back in 3 weeks running! The service manager pretty much knows where to start looking. We feel confident. Just hoping it’s not another Grand lol. Everything y’all mention is what he also says are possibilities. I’ll update with repair!

Comment

So turns out our motor had an issue that Mercruiser put out a bulletin in 2002 and every Tigé dealer overlooked this issue even with our description of what was happening for the past 8 years. Not to mention not one mentioned it when the bulletin was issued. I’m beyond irritated. I’m waiting to hear from service manager tomorrow. But looking like another grand beings mercruiser only paid for modification back when bulletin was issued. I’ll update again.
                  Below is link to the bulletin

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/02/02_03.pdf

Comment

Looks like that bulletin addresses a vapor lock problem. Vapor lock is probably your restart problem but not what caused the boat to die at 37 MPH.

Comment

I’ll find out more once I can speak to the service manager. Unfortunately when he called me today I was heading home from Glamis and the entire call was “ can you hear me know” lol

Comment

You can do this boost pump. It will not hurt. If you do only this you will be broke down again. Because IMO this is not your problem. If you do this and all the other stuff you will be good to go. The bulletin says this this will not help with vapor lock.My boat falls in the numbers also and doesn't have this. I am somewhat confused a little also. you said in your first post the boat has ran with no problems since new. so have you been having this problem for 8 years?

Comment

We have been having the Vapor lock issue for quite awhile since probably 2004. It’s hard to remember. But I was always able to to get it started. The issues we are having now have been since the Tigé dealer in Lake Elsinore touched our boat. I spoke to the service manager in Mesa AZ and it turns out someone most likely stepped on our fuel injectors and broke one when working on engine. Or at least that would be their guess. So we’re getting the boost pump installed and the broken fuel injector replaced as well as all the other injectors cleaned. Also a full service. Then he will update me. Fingers crossed! I must say I am absolutely impressed by Tigé factory because they are also involved and are helping us beings so cal Tigé dealers completely dropped the ball here. They were who have serviced our boat since 2002. They are actually no longer affiliated with Tigé. Tigé factory dropped them as a authorized dealer.
                          Last edited by Bowen; 11-19-2018, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Glad to hear you are getting somewhere now with the boat. Sounds like you getting it to a good mechanic was the right call. Internet trouble shooting is just what it is. Kinda like Web M.D. you might have Cancer or it might be just a Cold. Either way I am not surprised Tige Factory would be Involved. Despite clams that... Tige didn't this for me, and, ...Tige didn't do that for me. Tige is a great company. Perfect no.( no one is) But none the less a great company. Again not surprised they are involved. Even on an 18 year old boat. Sorry back to the boat IF the injector has been bad for a while you might have some valve damage also. So you may not be out of the woods yet. A leak down is in order. I am sure that will be done if it already hasn't. Let us know how it all turns out.It dose help us internet trouble shooters with the next guy. who has a COLD.

Comment

Hilarious gumby! So true.... I will definitely update as Germaine Marine updates me. Yes I absolutely agree with Tigé Factory being amazing. They were when we bought our Tigé & here we are 18 years later & still just as dedicated to their product! We love our Whip I can not wait to take her for a day on the lake!

Comment

Working...
                              X